HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Right now France has the 3rd largest Jewish population in the world and Canada the 4th. If (God forbid) Marine Le Pen prevails (which is thankfully unlikely) I expect there to be a major exodus of the Jewish community in France.
It seems to me they will probably feel safer as Islamists will have a much harder time to operate in the country.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 10:19 AM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
It seems to me they will probably feel safer as Islamists will have a much harder time to operate in the country.
It is very much a double edged sword as key people in the Front national have spouted Holocaust denial rhetoric.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
The European extreme right is anti-Semitic no matter how much they now try to present themselves as friends of the Jews.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 12:57 PM

Article on newly developing Orthodox enclaves in the NYC metro, highlighting the Greenville neighborhood in Jersey City.

As Brooklyn and traditional Orthodox centers are extremely expensive and overcrowded, satellite communities are springing up, sometimes leading to tensions between long-time locals and newcomers:

Uneasy Welcome as Ultra-Orthodox Jews Extend Beyond New York
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/n...ew-jersey.html

These tensions will increase in the coming years. Orthodox obviously have high birthrates, and while Brooklyn's Orthodox population continues robust growth, an increasing share of growth will be in cheaper satellite communities.

There are now 30,000 kids enrolled in shuls in Lakewood, NJ. Possibly more than anywhere outside of Brooklyn (100,000 in shuls) and Israel. Also 25,000 enrolled in Ramapo-area shuls (Rockland County, NY, around Monsey).

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 1:34 PM
crisis actor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Article on newly developing Orthodox enclaves in the NYC metro, highlighting the Greenville neighborhood in Jersey City.

As Brooklyn and traditional Orthodox centers are extremely expensive and overcrowded, satellite communities are springing up, sometimes leading to tensions between long-time locals and newcomers:

Uneasy Welcome as Ultra-Orthodox Jews Extend Beyond New York
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/n...ew-jersey.html

These tensions will increase in the coming years. Orthodox obviously have high birthrates, and while Brooklyn's Orthodox population continues robust growth, an increasing share of growth will be in cheaper satellite communities.

There are now 30,000 kids enrolled in shuls in Lakewood, NJ. Possibly more than anywhere outside of Brooklyn (100,000 in shuls) and Israel. Also 25,000 enrolled in Ramapo-area shuls (Rockland County, NY, around Monsey).
purely anecdotal, but it seems like i am seeing a lot of new jersey/ny plated vehicles (minivans) in midwestern orthodox neighborhoods (like the one i live in), which of course are way, way cheaper as a general rule than brooklyn, or other areas in metro nyc. way more new jersey than new york, though.

william s burroughs, cities of the red night

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
purely anecdotal, but it seems like i am seeing a lot of new jersey/ny plated vehicles (minivans) in midwestern orthodox neighborhoods (like the one i live in), which of course are way, way cheaper as a general rule than brooklyn, or other areas in metro nyc. way more new jersey than new york, though.
I wouldn't be surprised. St. Louis has an established Orthodox community and is pretty cheap, so makes sense.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is very much a double edged sword as key people in the Front national have spouted Holocaust denial rhetoric.
Ahh, the joys of being Jewish. Is there any other group that's hated by BOTH the far right and far left?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 1:42 AM

I can also identify Jewish people in San francisco. But maybe there are mestiza/mestizo but only the blood of Jewish looks prevails on their appearances.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions