HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 4:52 AM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,718
LOS ANGELES | Olympia Towers | 43, 53 & 65 FLOORS

http://urbanize.la/post/whoa-renderi...olympia-towers


Towers will be 43, 53 and 65 floors, respectively.
Speculation tallest tower will be 800 feet near LA Live.

Last edited by LA21st; Dec 23, 2016 at 5:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 5:21 AM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,718
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 9:02 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is online now
C21H30O2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey - Somerset County
Posts: 17,621
Just so people don't have to leave ssp to see a rendering. From the link:



Reminds me of Urban Ready Living in Jersey City.

5771 × 2886 rendering of Olympia Towers: https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho...mpiaTowers.jpg (Click Me)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 3:24 PM
Nick852 Nick852 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
I wonder, is downtown L.A. the only place where buildings of this height are approved to be built? Downtown L.A. still is not a desirable area, it is dead at night, still has lots of empty, decrepit lots, etc..

Wouldn't a nicer area, say closer to the coasts, be a better bet?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 3:27 PM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 5,031
Well it can't be too undesirable if all these cranes dot the skyline and all these buildings are being proposed. Also: Buildings of this size would NEVER be built in coastal California.
__________________
Washed Out
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 3:36 PM
Nick852 Nick852 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Well it can't be too undesirable if all these cranes dot the skyline and all these buildings are being proposed. Also: Buildings of this size would NEVER be built in coastal California.
Must be, but I can't imagine how anyone in his right mind would want to live in Downtown L.A. right now. The market is fueled by foreign money, it may be that they just buy based on a floorplan drawing without even setting foot in L.A., as is often the case.

Anyway, I hope L.A. will become more desirable (and hopefully not a giant grey parking lot), but I think it will take many, many years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 3:56 PM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 5,031
Hell I wanted to live in downtown 10 years ago back when LA Live was a hole in the ground.
__________________
Washed Out
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 4:07 PM
ChargerCarl ChargerCarl is offline
SUSPENDED
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles/San Francisco
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick852 View Post
I wonder, is downtown L.A. the only place where buildings of this height are approved to be built? Downtown L.A. still is not a desirable area, it is dead at night, still has lots of empty, decrepit lots, etc..

Wouldn't a nicer area, say closer to the coasts, be a better bet?
Pretty much. The coast is owned by NIMBYs and misguided environmentalists.
__________________
This Machine Kills NIMBYs
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 4:40 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is online now
C21H30O2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey - Somerset County
Posts: 17,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Pretty much. The coast is owned by NIMBYs and misguided environmentalists.
You'd think with the popularity of the beaches, that it would be a Miami Style Coast stretching for miles. High rise Galore. Granted there's the debate on aesthetics, and yeah, it would change the area, but I'm sure the demand is there for condo towers and hotels.

Maybe an architectural design committee could work. At least if they build tall on the coast, make it look nice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 4:56 PM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 5,031
Regardless of skyscrapers on the coast, they have nothing to do with the Olympia Towers. Which are another piece in bridging LA Live with the Financial District.
__________________
Washed Out
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 5:38 PM
SLO's Avatar
SLO SLO is online now
Kiwi
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California
Posts: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick852 View Post
Must be, but I can't imagine how anyone in his right mind would want to live in Downtown L.A. right now. The market is fueled by foreign money, it may be that they just buy based on a floorplan drawing without even setting foot in L.A., as is often the case.

Anyway, I hope L.A. will become more desirable (and hopefully not a giant grey parking lot), but I think it will take many, many years.
No need to troll the LA threads. Obviously you haven't been lately if ever. Sounds like you are talking 80s dtLA.
__________________
He said he'd cure your ills, but he didn't and he never will
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 5:40 PM
SLO's Avatar
SLO SLO is online now
Kiwi
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California
Posts: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Pretty much. The coast is owned by NIMBYs and misguided environmentalists.
Yep, the Coastal Commission would never allow a new highrise on the coast. I like the mission of the CC, but they are misguided in too many ways.
__________________
He said he'd cure your ills, but he didn't and he never will
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 5:40 PM
SLO's Avatar
SLO SLO is online now
Kiwi
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California
Posts: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Regardless of skyscrapers on the coast, they have nothing to do with the Olympia Towers. Which are another piece in bridging LA Live with the Financial District.
I agree, this project looks fantastic, DTLA is spreading out...
__________________
He said he'd cure your ills, but he didn't and he never will
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 6:30 PM
kelbeen's Avatar
kelbeen kelbeen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick852 View Post
Must be, but I can't imagine how anyone in his right mind would want to live in Downtown L.A. right now. The market is fueled by foreign money, it may be that they just buy based on a floorplan drawing without even setting foot in L.A., as is often the case.

Anyway, I hope L.A. will become more desirable (and hopefully not a giant grey parking lot), but I think it will take many, many years.
This has nothing to do with the project on Olympia. It seems that you're trolling on multiple L.A. threads. Unfortunately, you have not visited LA within the past few years. The city changed a lot.

"I hope LA will become more desirable"
Los Angeles (especially Downtown) is one of the hottest market in the United States right now. It is the "most invested city" in the nation in 2016. It's the second biggest construction zone, after Seattle. Yes, LA is more desirable than you thought. This project, Olympia, along with others (Metropolis, Oceanwide Plaza, Luxe Redevelopment, Circa, Wilshire Grand, NFL Stadium, Lucas Museum, Sixth Street Redevelopment, Los Angeles River Revitalization, Metro Subway Expansion, Century Plaza Hotel Redevelopment, LAX Redevelopment, and the thousands of projects happening around the city) are all clear evidence that LA is drawing BILLIONS of dollars of development.

"but I think it will take many, many years"
Los Angeles is already the densest metro in the United States. Fact. It's becoming harder for NY Metro to catch up because there's so much development in every corner of LA Basin.


Going back on the topic of this thread, Olympia
Are those vertical lines on the podium an LED sign or is there none?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 2:07 AM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick852 View Post
Must be, but I can't imagine how anyone in his right mind would want to live in Downtown L.A. right now. The market is fueled by foreign money, it may be that they just buy based on a floorplan drawing without even setting foot in L.A., as is often the case.

Anyway, I hope L.A. will become more desirable (and hopefully not a giant grey parking lot), but I think it will take many, many years.
What are you talking about?

A giant grey parking lot? What? Are there even that many GIANT PARKING LOTS left right now? Most have proposals or being torn down/have been torn down.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 9:36 PM
112597jorge 112597jorge is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LA/OC
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbeen View Post
This has nothing to do with the project on Olympia. It seems that you're trolling on multiple L.A. threads. Unfortunately, you have not visited LA within the past few years. The city changed a lot.

"I hope LA will become more desirable"
Los Angeles (especially Downtown) is one of the hottest market in the United States right now. It is the "most invested city" in the nation in 2016. It's the second biggest construction zone, after Seattle. Yes, LA is more desirable than you thought. This project, Olympia, along with others (Metropolis, Oceanwide Plaza, Luxe Redevelopment, Circa, Wilshire Grand, NFL Stadium, Lucas Museum, Sixth Street Redevelopment, Los Angeles River Revitalization, Metro Subway Expansion, Century Plaza Hotel Redevelopment, LAX Redevelopment, and the thousands of projects happening around the city) are all clear evidence that LA is drawing BILLIONS of dollars of development.

"but I think it will take many, many years"
Los Angeles is already the densest metro in the United States. Fact. It's becoming harder for NY Metro to catch up because there's so much development in every corner of LA Basin.


Going back on the topic of this thread, Olympia
Are those vertical lines on the podium an LED sign or is there none?
seems to be that they are LED signs, especially on the rendering with the podium facing the freeway you see digital images being displayed in the vertical elements.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 10:15 PM
LosAngelesSportsFan's Avatar
LosAngelesSportsFan LosAngelesSportsFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Pretty much. The coast is owned by NIMBYs and misguided environmentalists.
Im as pro development as it comes and i would be out with a pitchfork if anyone wanted to build a skyscraper outside of Long Beach of Santa Monica. Its not necessary and doesnt fit the fabric of California beach cities.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 10:32 PM
ChargerCarl ChargerCarl is offline
SUSPENDED
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles/San Francisco
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Im as pro development as it comes and i would be out with a pitchfork if anyone wanted to build a skyscraper outside of Long Beach of Santa Monica. Its not necessary and doesnt fit the fabric of California beach cities.
Then you're really not that pro-development.
__________________
This Machine Kills NIMBYs
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 12:48 AM
King Kill 'em's Avatar
King Kill 'em King Kill 'em is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,204
Well there's not really a possibility of a skyscraper being built in any of the beach cities in LA County except Long Beach and Santa Monica.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 12:51 AM
ChargerCarl ChargerCarl is offline
SUSPENDED
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles/San Francisco
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
Well there's not really a possibility of a skyscraper being built in any of the beach cities in LA County except Long Beach and Santa Monica.
There's a lot of demand for it in Orange County though, and probably Venice as well.
__________________
This Machine Kills NIMBYs
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:22 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.