HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:26 PM

Clarksville Tennessee Development

I am starting a Clarksville thread as there are some interesting things going on in Tennessee's 5th largest city. Some pertinent facts about Clarksville that may surprise you....
  • The 2015 estimated City population is 149,176.
  • Montgomery County has an estimated population of 184,119
  • The Metro Area has 277,894 people per estimates.
  • In 2013, the Clarksville three county Metro area was the second fastest growing in the US. A one year rate of 3.7%.
  • That is surprisingly large for a City you may not have heard of.

It is the home of Austin Peay State University, the fastest growing University in the state with big plans for expansion. Austin Peay currently has about 10,000 students.

The city includes Fort Campbell, home of the 101st Screaming Eagles Airborne, in it's region which is a large economic engine and source of population growth as soldiers retire and come back to Clarksville to live.

The City is only a one hour, 50 mile drive from Nashville and all it's attractions but is not included in the Consolidated Metropolitan Area of Nashville.

The City is in the middle of a Karst region meaning there are many sinkholes and cave in the area making large scale construction very challenging.

I will soon post info regarding recent and proposed projects.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 4:17 PM

I absolutely love Clarksville's downtown, so I'm generally intrigued on the development going on there. Love the sports radio show there.

Keep up updated!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 3:25 PM

Six Thousand Seat Arena Proposed for Clarksville

From a recent USA TODAY TENNESSEE story,

Quote:
CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. - After an 18 month study, Montgomery County leaders proposed Thursday that the county consider building a multipurpose event center in downtown Clarksville. .....

A specific location for an event center site hasn’t been determined, and there are no conceptual drawings, said Durrett and Truitt. The County Commission will be asked in the spring to include an estimated $200,000 in the county mayor’s portion of the budget for further study and refinement. .....

Predators connection
Potential commitments in an event center for the Predators might include hosting youth camps and tournaments and offering community-based recreation hockey leagues.
The Predators’ leadership is in early discussions to manage the facility, as they do for Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena, Durrett said.
“The well-oiled machine that the Predators have put into place to run the (Bridgestone Arena) competes for the top entertainment options with New York, Los Angeles and other, much-larger cities,” said Durrett......
Arena features
Durrett said the initial, phase 1 process would include:
» Main arena with 25,000 square feet of regulation hockey surface, with the ability to convert to hardwood for basketball games, flat floor space for trade shows, stage setup for concerts and dirt, perhaps for rodeos.
» One or two additional rinks of 22,500 square feet each, seating about 500 people and convertible to turf.
» Seating for up to 6,000 people in the arena.
» 15 to 20 executive suites.
» Four club rooms for parties and weddings.
» Four meeting spaces for conferences, seminars and classes.
HVS, the consultant, preliminarily calculates that, over a 20-year period, the facility could generate $289 million in net spending for the community.
I would think minor league hockey would do well in Clarksville. I would buy some tickets.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 10:48 PM

I'm aware of Clarksville because I have a friend who is from there. Thanks for starting this thread! I'd be happy to learn of any new development going on in Clarksville.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 1:23 PM

This news was announced about a year ago....from the Clarksville Leaf Chronicle

An important piece of land adjacent to the Austin Peay State campus is being offered to APSU (for purchase). Apparently, the University is serious about acquisition of the property as they have already prepared some conceptual plans for development. The subject parcels are on the south side of College Street (top and left in the picture).

Downtown Clarksville is at top center.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jul 15, 2017 at 4:47 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 12:49 PM

From the Clarksville Leaf Chronicle...

Quote:
Performing Arts Center, Athletic Complex, 'Urban Wilderness' in McMillan city budget

For the next city budget cycle, Clarksville Mayor Kim McMillan wants forward movement on a long-proposed downtown Performing Arts and Conference Center, and a Family Athletic Complex near Exit 8 of Interstate 24 that she says could attract minor league sports teams.......snip

"Again this year, my proposed budget also includes additional capital funding for two projects — the downtown Clarksville Performing Arts and Conference Center and a Family Athletic Complex — that I believe will lead to economic development and many other benefits for all of Clarksville," McMillan said.

Consultants tell the McMillan administration that the Performing Arts and Conference Center would result in some 200 new events a year, in downtown, in the form of theatrical performances, music concerts, family entertainment events, and conferences and meetings.

Another $5.6 million is proposed by McMillan to purchase land and continue work on the Athletic Complex near Exit 8. Along with that line item, McMillan announced Wednesday that National Sports Services, a company involved in minor league baseball and soccer teams, and sports facility development, has confirmed in writing its interest in working with the city to bring a professional baseball or soccer team, or both, to such an Athletic Complex.
Minor league Baseball, Soccer and/or Hockey along with a legitimate Performing Arts Center would enhance Clarksville's livability tremendously and make it a more distinct place to live, play and work and more than just some remote appendage to Nashville. People are taking notice of this under-served City of 150,000 +/-.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
From the Clarksville Leaf Chronicle...

Minor league Baseball, Soccer and/or Hockey along with a legitimate Performing Arts Center would enhance Clarksville's livability tremendously and make it a more distinct place to live, play and work and more than just some remote appendage to Nashville. People are taking notice of this under-served City of 150,000 +/-.

Thanks for the thread. Haven't been to Clarksville in about 15 years but amazed at seeing how much it's grown and how fast, nice to see what is going on.

I would think minor league baseball or hockey would do well there- Jackson with a much smaller population (around 65,000?) has had a Double A team since 1998. Also close to a much larger market with Memphis 80 miles away (a little farther than Nashville-Clarksville). I'm surprised Clarksville hasn't had more amenities like this already.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 1:55 PM
City of Oaks

I always assumed Austin Peay was in Austin, Texas.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast