HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
we've simply lost touch with the ability to hear nature, the cycle of the seasons, and the primal world at large.
Where I'm at you can tell it's springtime in part by the buzzing of bees around the citrus blossoms. But an especially loud buzzing is a leaf-cutter bee. The coyotes seem to howl in all seasons. A Gila Woodpecker can be heard now developing my saguaro into condos for raising his babies which he does every year. The wind whistles through the palm trees as a storm passes to the north giving us little but the wind and rarely interrupting the sunny days.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/174655291773001547/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:39 PM
Can't knock the hustle

Those Honda Civics with the big mufflers contribute to some noise.

I tend to see a lot of those in places like Newark or Elizabeth NJ. Loud and you'd think it was some 600 hp car, but its just a Civic with big mufflers.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:39 PM

I've spent a night in a tent in the Big Bend NP. It wasn't peaceful at all, a bunch of squeaking Javelinas constantly tried to invade our tent!

It is good to get away from light pollution, I love going somewhere that you can properly see the band of the Milky Way. Last time I had a good view of it was on holiday in rural France last summer, I'm on the border of England and Wales and there are places in very sparsely populated areas nearby where you can get a good view on a clear night but from even small towns it is obscured.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 6:21 PM

^^Had a stand-off with a javalina one evening. I was coming home around 9 PM and the thing was in front on my garage and stood its ground for 20 minutes. We just stared at each other but it wouldn't move so I could get into the garage.

https://www.pinterest.com/ericfstone7/happy-javelinas/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:49 PM
City of Oaks

I worked in the basement of a downtown office building and it was perfectly quiet. Then they moved us up to the third floor overlooking a busy avenue and wow, the traffic noise is nonstop.

I live in a more suburban housing development and the interstate is 1.3 miles a day but I can hear traffic on it, especially early in the morning for some reason but thank fully only if I'm outside.

Also, where we live now is exactly perpendicular to the airport runways, 14 miles from the airport so we never hear planes and hardly ever see any because flight paths.

When we lived in Charlotte we live 9 and a half miles from the runway, directly in the flight path and could hear the planes even inside. I learned to tell what time it was early in the morning because there were two FedEx/UPS widebodies that would come in on that path daily.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 9:45 PM
Frequent Lurker

Odd that it doesn't include military air bases. These generate a lot of noise, and the noise contours are easily accessible.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:02 AM

I live a maybe 150 Yards from one highway a mile from another and under the flight path of an executive airport which hosts most of the police, fire and tv helicopters. Those are always the loudest, but there are many more private jets flying in and out then there used to be. The constant din dies down at night but the noise carries further. You hear motorcycles, people racing or even just semi trucks going down the highway. Nothing like a good engine brake at 2am.

I'd take all of that of this freaking train that comes by at 3 times a day. It's a heavy freight train full of limestone and it rumbles, shaking the windows and getting in your head.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 6:37 AM

One of the surprising joys of living in the smack center of Tokyo: just two blocks in from one of the busiest arterials in the city and night time is - without exaggeration - quieter than the street I grew up on in suburban Massachusetts. Only the occasional ambulance siren breaks the calm.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 4:07 AM
Be Happy!

When I was a kid, growing up in the suburbs/exurbs of Asheville, the sounds of nature were so loud at night! The house was in the Pisgah National Forest, near the Blue Ridge Parkway. We had a stream in the front yard, so you could also hear water at night, while going to sleep. Around the time I was in high school, the new home developers arrived and shortly after sunrise, you could hear the sounds of hammers and trucks echo through the mountain valleys. Sometimes, it was like an alarm clock on the weekends. I was near an airport, but I guess the runways were angled away from us? Thunderstorms sounded amazing in the mountains. At college, in Athens, I missed sleeping at night to the loud sounds of nature and it did take a while to adjust.

I moved to the suburbs of Atlanta (current home) in 2007, after college. This is the quietest place I've lived. The sounds of nature are very "low volume" here. Mostly crickets and a few birds, sometimes including an owl. Every hour, when it's quiet in the house, I usually hear a freight train from a few miles across the river, in the next county. The loudness of it can change, depending on the weather. It's usually a very light background noise. I often enjoy the sound of the train. It must be terrible to live near it, though? If you take Amtrack from the Northeast, through Atlanta, and it's quiet in the house, I can hear your train from where I live. There are also truck and car noises, with an occasional siren and maybe some construction noise (always something under construction around McGinnis Ferry Road), but they are usually light.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 7:30 PM

My grandparents lived in Brooklyn across the street from a busy firehouse. I remember hearing sirens all day and all night every time I went to visit. To this day, whenever I hear sirens from my house, it takes me back to my grandparents home. It's very comforting.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
One of the surprising joys of living in the smack center of Tokyo: just two blocks in from one of the busiest arterials in the city and night time is - without exaggeration - quieter than the street I grew up on in suburban Massachusetts. Only the occasional ambulance siren breaks the calm.
London is like that. I think most old cities are. It's one of the benefits of an irregular street pattern that discourages through traffic away from major arrerials and other commercial streets. They were built that way for a reason.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 9:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Now this account is interesting and understandable.

The only time in Boston where it was scarily quiet was during a snowstorm where the snow acted as insulation, yet the sky glowed orange and acted as a night light where everything was fully lit up. Smack dab in the city and you could (or actually couldn't) hear a pin drop. Priceless.

Aside from that, here in San Diego, it's fairly peaceful. Depending on the atmospheric conditions I can hear a train whistle, or the hum of the freeway. Sometimes the 'ghetto bird', aka, SDPD helicopter circles overhead, or the coast guard bombing to an outbound location, or an inbound flight to Lindbergh field that suddenly slows and makes that unique sound. Aside from that, and the occasional street noise, it's pretty peaceful where I live.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
The only time in Boston where it was scarily quiet was during a snowstorm where the snow acted as insulation, yet the sky glowed orange and acted as a night light where everything was fully lit up. Smack dab in the city and you could (or actually couldn't) hear a pin drop. Priceless.
Ahhh that made me smile. Shoveling the driveway during a storm and realizing that the world around you is somehow a lot quieter than usual.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:22 PM

I stay just outside downtown, its pretty noisy during the daytime. Traffic, gunshots, people yelling, ships and train horns, is the normal music throughout the work week. At night its pretty quite. On the weekend the sound is replaced by actual music from the different clubs. Amazingly! On very quite nights you can hear Robins tweeting and chirping away, starting around 10pm well into the morning.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 6:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Ahhh that made me smile. Shoveling the driveway during a storm and realizing that the world around you is somehow a lot quieter than usual.
You know what's strange, I actually really enjoyed shoveling my walk and never understood why people complain about it!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^Had a stand-off with a javalina one evening. I was coming home around 9 PM and the thing was in front on my garage and stood its ground for 20 minutes. We just stared at each other but it wouldn't move so I could get into the garage.

https://www.pinterest.com/ericfstone7/happy-javelinas/
I think you told me that once before in another place. They are pretty cute those Javelinas, much better than getting harassed by a coyote or pack of hyenas!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Chicago is loud but I've gotten used to it. I live in Portage Park. You can hear the El from all over the city, firetrucks/ambulances/cops blare every 15 minutes, honking excessively, garbage trucks crashing dumpsters into each other at 4 in the morning, and the steady stream of airplanes landing at OHare. Every once in a while, a motor cycle gang will rumble by. I'm used to it however. But as loud as all of that is, nothing is louder than being under the Kennedy whenever the Blue Line roars by. That is loud. Even then I'm used to it. I find it comforting. I'd be more alarmed if Chicago was totally silent. Silence is more nerve racking than noise.

I used to say the same thing living in New York. Then I had two kids and moved to the burbs, and I haven't been jolted awake by a car alarm, garbage truck or honking car in over four years. It's wonderful. Instead my ears are bombarded right now by the sounds of countless birds singing and our brook bubbling down the hill. In fact, I always brag to my city friends that we lucked into the quietest block in a ten mile radius around New York. And I'd be willing to go toe-to-toe with any block out to twenty miles. This map is a nice confirmation of my theory

Aside: When I lived on the Upper West Side, there was an entrance onto Central Park Drive at the end of our block. So every morning there would be a steady stream of cars down our little side street. On trash days the garbage truck would take their sweet, passive aggressive time about lumbering down 90th, blocking traffic entirely. Commuters stuck behind would occasionally lay on their horn, sometimes for five or ten seconds at a time. This would be at 7 am! So I started throwing things from my fridge at the cars below. Usually a hunk of cheese or a biscuit. If the guy was a real a-hole, an egg. Then all our neighbors started doing the same thing! It was awesome. Just Irish confetti all down the block! Once in a while, if we were lucky, a douchebag would jump out of his car and stare up at us menacingly; and we would all laugh and yell at him. Good times

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 2:09 PM
Can't knock the hustle

I'm over in Branchburg, a suburb, and the biggest noise I hear are the sounds of birds yelling at each other early in the morning. During the morning rushhour, you can hear the sound of 287 or Route 22 in the distance. Almost like white noise. Its in the background but very mild.

Crows are culprits of noise. Also sometimes during mating season, deer can be heard. Lots of deer in my area. They seem to congregate in my yard sometimes, and come up with domestic policy for the area such as which flowers to eat or whose yard to crap on. At least thats what I think they are up too.

Dogs as well. Sometimes you'll hear them barking.

But other then that, it's kinda quite. Nature is the biggest source of noise pollution I guess.

My neighbor as well. He has a modified Shelby Mustang, and its quite loud so any time he turns it on, you know he's packing 600+ hp.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
deer can be heard. Lots of deer in my area. They seem to congregate in my yard sometimes, and come up with domestic policy for the area such as which flowers to eat or whose yard to crap on. At least thats what I think they are up too.
What they are up to is giving everybody Lyme Disease--but deer ticks don't make much noise.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 10:14 PM
Duck and covfefe

Pretty quiet. We live in a single family neighborhood 5 miles south of downtown with 4 major arterial streets surrounding it, one of which goes downtown. Except for the sound of cars driving down my street every few minutes, it's pretty quiet. Mornings are especially quiet and about the only sound then are birds.

We do have a fire station about 4,500 feet away and some train tracks in that direction about 1,100 feet away that UP runs. That crossing is a no horn crossing now so it's mostly quiet. I can hear the low resonate rumble some of the big music festivals in Zilker Park create southwest of downtown twice a year. There's also two highways fairly close. One that runs east/west through South Austin that's 1 1/2 miles to the north and then I-35 is just under 2 miles east of us. Depending on the time of year and which way the wind is blowing, I can hear the low rumble of those, mostly on winter nights when everything else seems to be really quiet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions