HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:40 AM

The City of Vancouver itself is strongly east-west, but the metro area's kind of all over the place. Really can't think of a coherent way to describe it right now in terms of east-west/north-south.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:56 AM

West London vs. East London for the most part and in the common consciousness. But there is also a divide between north of the river and south.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 11:12 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
It seems like all the Canadian Prairie cities follow the same model of primarily north-south (south being more affluent) and a secondary east-west one (west being more affluent).

In Vancouver, there's historically been a very strong east-west divide, around Cambie or Main streets. On the other hand, there's also a north-south one in the sense that the northern half is the more urban part, and the southern part more suburban in character. The southern half was annexed in 1929.
Isn't Saskatoon richest in the South-East and poorest in the West?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 1:35 PM
BANNED

San Diego is a little tricky. I'd say we're more split along Coastal/Inland zones. Due to physical constraints, development is concentrated and squeezed in a north/south pattern between the ocean and mountains. The east/west component is primarily about the micro climates factoring in. Generally it is more desirable to be located near the ocean for mild year round weather, cooler summers, warmer winters.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:29 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
San Diego is a little tricky. I'd say we're more split along Coastal/Inland zones. Due to physical constraints, development is concentrated and squeezed in a north/south pattern between the ocean and mountains. The east/west component is primarily about the micro climates factoring in. Generally it is more desirable to be located near the ocean for mild year round weather, cooler summers, warmer winters.
For weather, it's coastal vs inland. For wealth it's more north vs south.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:29 PM

Jacksonville is split by the St Johns River. The older core is north/west of the river and the newer Southside is sandwiched between the river (south/east) and the Atlantic Ocean. With that said, the Eastside is actually west of the river. Prior to consolidation with South Jacksonville in 1932, Jacksonville didn't cross the river.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:29 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
I agree, there's definitely a North County/South County dichotomy for wealth, status and desirability. But within North County, there's definitely a gradient with the coast being more desirable than inland areas.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:53 PM

I'd be interested to hear other LA guys' opinions. Yes, theres an East-West divide, but theres also a North-South one that seems just as dividing.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
^ agreed. Wealth is also concentrated along the coast too.

The 8 frwy is often referred to in political elections. South of the 8 vote democrat and north republican - generally.

Also large parts of East County are significantly less wealthy than areas to its west. Within city limits you have San Carlos vs La Jolla.

Here's a map of the 2012 Bob Filner (D) vs. Carl DeMaio (R) Mayoral race. The 8 freeway runs east/west.

Last edited by Leo the Dog; Apr 27, 2017 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
I'd be interested to hear other LA guys' opinions. Yes, theres an East-West divide, but theres also a North-South one that seems just as dividing.
Definitely an east-west divide, and what constitutes the border between the two has been shifting over the years.

When I was a kid in the 1970s and 1980s, the "Westside" was generally everything west of Beverly Hills; some might've even said everything west of the 405. And then beginning in the mid-1990s, the Westside somehow started drifting east; some put the dividing line at Fairfax, and some even put it at La Brea. Demographic changes and gentrification has changed everything from when I was a kid. Mid-Wilshire used to still be a fairly prestigious business address in the 1980s; nobody refers to Mid-Wilshire as such anymore; now it's part of Koreatown. Supposedly more people with money have been moving into downtown, so, downtown is less and less being seen as a place to avoid.

North-south divide, I'm aware of a "divide," but where is the line? And which north and south? The Valley versus everything south of the SM Mountains/Hollywood Hills? And the Valley seems to have its own divide, north-south and east-west.

North of Olympic vs. south of Olympic? When my family lived in the Miracle Mile, it somehow seemed more "prestigious" to say you lived north of Olympic. North or south of the 10 Freeway? I can see a divide between South LA and everything north of there... But are San Pedro/Wilmington/Harbor City included in what's considered southern Los Angeles? San Pedro definitely has a completely different vibe than other parts of LA.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:07 PM
crisis actor

st. louis = southside vs central/westside vs northside. central/west is wealthiest followed by south then north. then you have the eastside dangling out there, but the eastside really is almost its own universe (illinois) with american industrial bottoms vs upland etc.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:20 PM
if I sang out of tune

Used to be this:

Video Link

Now this:

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:29 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Cincinnati: East-West
Cleveland: East-West
Columbus: East/West/North/South (all four are equal and have certain "images" for each side)
Dayton: East-West

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 11:38 PM

Atlanta has multiple divides: The obvious North/South divide in terms of wealth and race. Trendy East Atlanta(Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park, Virginia Highlands) vs. run-down West Atlanta(Bankhead, The Bluff, Vine City). Last but not least, Buckhead vs. the rest of Atlanta. Buckhead is basically it's own city....it feels that way.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 11:49 PM
恭喜发财!

Shanghai is split east/west by the Huangpu River, which used to provide a geographical barrier (the first permanent road links weren't built across the river until 1991). To this day, the two halves of the city are referred to as Puxi (West of the River) and Pudong (East of the River).

My birth city of Dublin has a pretty severe North South divide, again produced by a river, this time the Liffey.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 12:16 AM
Mal Vivant

PA cities...

Philadelphia is definitely North-South, but then there's also West Philly, so...

Pittsburgh is a tough one to classify with discrete directional classifications because the city, surrounding municipalities/suburbs are just craziness scattered about all the hills. I'd say North-South for an overall regional viewpoint (north being north of the Allegheny or Ohio or along the Allegheny and south being south of the Monongahela or Ohio or along the Monongahela). There's the defined Northside vs. Southside in the city and North Hills vs. South Hills suburbs, but the East End is the most cohesive, populated, and developed section of the city... without a West End of the same stature to complement it... and then there's the eastern suburbs and all the towns that are located up and down the rivers... so, it's tough to really say. The region is highly divided by rivers, hills, and valleys much more than it is by compass direction.

Erie is definitely East-West, stretching along the lakeshore

Scranton is East-West, but the region as a whole runs more N-S

Allentown... East-West, with the East Side and the Wards to the east of the Lehigh River and the West End on the west side

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Definitely an east-west divide, and what constitutes the border between the two has been shifting over the years.

When I was a kid in the 1970s and 1980s, the "Westside" was generally everything west of Beverly Hills; some might've even said everything west of the 405. And then beginning in the mid-1990s, the Westside somehow started drifting east; some put the dividing line at Fairfax, and some even put it at La Brea. Demographic changes and gentrification has changed everything from when I was a kid. Mid-Wilshire used to still be a fairly prestigious business address in the 1980s; nobody refers to Mid-Wilshire as such anymore; now it's part of Koreatown. Supposedly more people with money have been moving into downtown, so, downtown is less and less being seen as a place to avoid.

North-south divide, I'm aware of a "divide," but where is the line? And which north and south? The Valley versus everything south of the SM Mountains/Hollywood Hills? And the Valley seems to have its own divide, north-south and east-west.

North of Olympic vs. south of Olympic? When my family lived in the Miracle Mile, it somehow seemed more "prestigious" to say you lived north of Olympic. North or south of the 10 Freeway? I can see a divide between South LA and everything north of there... But are San Pedro/Wilmington/Harbor City included in what's considered southern Los Angeles? San Pedro definitely has a completely different vibe than other parts of LA.
For the North/South divide I was thinking the 10 freeway, with North being the dense urban area of LA and the South being more suburban (but still pretty dense).

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 12:30 AM

Metro Boston is east-west, with the top of the wealth concentrated in Newton and Brookline, and then further out in the western "W" burbs (Weston, Wayland, Wellesley, Westwood, etc.).

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Shanghai is split east/west by the Huangpu River, which used to provide a geographical barrier (the first permanent road links weren't built across the river until 1991). To this day, the two halves of the city are referred to as Puxi (West of the River) and Pudong (East of the River).

My birth city of Dublin has a pretty severe North South divide, again produced by a river, this time the Liffey.

When I lived in Dublin in the eighties, I found that up until 200 years ago, the North side was wealthier than the even numbered South of Liffey districts. Interesting to me is the fact that small working class neighborhoods like Irishtown had a sweet proximity to the sea, and the beach sections were quite nice in the general area. Of all the ritzy suburban towns, Howth on the northern extremity is more beautiful than Bray in the extreme South.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 1:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Metro Boston is east-west, with the top of the wealth concentrated in Newton and Brookline, and then further out in the western "W" burbs (Weston, Wayland, Wellesley, Westwood, etc.).
I'd agree as a former resident of Brookline.

I'd also say that as one moves westward from Boston, it seems like the city abruptly ends (even though it really doesn't) whereas, north and south of the city, it appears more urbanized much farther out.

What do you think?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions