HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 6:30 AM
Cat Enthusiast

BTW, building permit has been issued for the demolition of the former Dillard's location to make way for the new Carmike theater in the mall. Additionally, the Belk department store in the mall is going to be renovated.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 11:58 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Decatur tops Site Selection's national rankings for small metro areas

Stan Diel
Birmingham News
Thursday, February 1, 2012
LINK

Quote:
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Decatur ranked first nationally in Site Selection magazine's annual ranking of economic development in small metro areas. Decatur had 13 new or expanded corporate facilities in 2011, placing it ahead of Springfield, Ohio (12) and Williamsport, Pa., (10).

Cullman ranked third among cities with a population between 10,000 and 50,000, with 20 new or expanded facilities, and Daphne-Fairhope ranked eighth.
Great news for Decatur, as well as the rest of the Tennessee Valley!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:45 PM
Constant Vigilance!

^ Late in seeing this, but congrats to Decatur. Hopefully the trend can continue so that Decatur can continue to grow and can continue to grow a friendly competitive nature with Huntsville.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 7:02 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Thanx Thunder89 Btw, what's the 89' for?

I was in Decatur a couple of days ago, so here are some updates:

Downtown is looking GREAT! The streetscaping is progressing, but there are some noticeable differences. Crosswalks have been replaced by paver-paved walks, and sidewalks are being repaved. New trees are being planted, and things are looking a lot more fresh.

The North Alabama Center For The Arts is progressing nicely. It looks more modern than I expected. It still maintains the downtown feel, but on the northern side of the building are some large windows that reflect a more modern feel. So, it's a nice mix.

Aside from that, there are some vertical constructions for the new "Kohls Shopping Center" at 6th Ave (US 31), and The Beltline (AL 67). Olive Garden is progressing well, and is about 75% finished at the southeast corner of The Beltline (AL 67) and Veterans' Drive. The Kroger gas station is currently being constructed about a fifth of a mile South of The Beltline (AL 67).

Also, the DecaturDaily has announced that Phase 3 of The Beltline widening is going to begin within a few months. Phase 2 is the most northern end as Al 67 attaches from AL 24 to AL 20/ALT US 72. Phase 3 will be quite similar to Phase 2 as it requires the reconstruction of an overpass (the current one is incapable of handling the future capacity). Anyways, this is the most difficult portion of The Beltline expansion because it deals with involvement of other oldest part of the city that Beltline Road connects. The road will be reduced to one lane for a long amount of time. People that have been in Decatur since the 80s shouldn't be surprised as they had to endure the road when it was a simple 2-lane bypass "back in the day."

All the same, we are a few years closer to the complete widening of The Beltline; a road that used to be considered the "Deadliest 7 Miles in Alabama."

Either way, some great things have been happening in Decatur. Things that will not only impact Decatur, but the whole of North Alabama.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 8:29 AM
Constant Vigilance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
Thanx Thunder89 Btw, what's the 89' for?
It's for my birth year, but what can ya do

I'm lookin' forward to takin a drive through the downtown area whenever I get back to the roots in Huntsville. Not gonna lie, I am jealous of Center for the Arts. I always wish Huntsville could grab hold of an initiative like this, combining the colleges around the area, but kudos to Decatur for taking advantage of a situation that wasn't even present.

And as far as the Beltline goes, it can't come soon enough. I've driven through so many times that I'm looking forward for construction to be completed, and even before it all began, I know it was such a headache.

I can't wait to see what comes of Decatur within the next 10 years. Progressing nicely so far

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder89 View Post

I'm lookin' forward to takin a drive through the downtown area whenever I get back to the roots in Huntsville. Not gonna lie, I am jealous of Center for the Arts. I always wish Huntsville could grab hold of an initiative like this, combining the colleges around the area, but kudos to Decatur for taking advantage of a situation that wasn't even present.

And as far as the Beltline goes, it can't come soon enough. I've driven through so many times that I'm looking forward for construction to be completed, and even before it all began, I know it was such a headache.

I can't wait to see what comes of Decatur within the next 10 years. Progressing nicely so far
I agree! Good news for Decatur.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 6:12 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:

Nice! I was born in 89' also.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 7:15 AM
Constant Vigilance!

Quote:
Nice! I was born in 89' also.
Huzzah for us!

On a side note, the Decatur Daily had an interesting Q&A with Developer Bill Ming of Athens on what's cooking in the Limestone County and the city itself and with his overall success so far. I thought it was a good write up

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 5:03 AM
Constant Vigilance!

I don't know if it was the fact that I haven't really driven around Decatur in such a long time, or if it was just my mood and the weather, but I have to say, I am really digging the progress that Decatur is making.

I walked around downtown today to see the new projects going up and man oh man, I bout walked into a pole just in awe of what all is playing out. The new Arts Center is looking so good, just saying.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 11:30 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't know if it was the fact that I haven't really driven around Decatur in such a long time, or if it was just my mood and the weather, but I have to say, I am really digging the progress that Decatur is making.

I walked around downtown today to see the new projects going up and man oh man, I bout walked into a pole just in awe of what all is playing out. The new Arts Center is looking so good, just saying.
Haha, yea, it's been a long road but the city is finally starting to see some of the progress that was promised in the past decade. I think it helped that we've gotten some new political blood in office. Of course, it's really helped that the city has been developing in the retail sector better than it has in the past. Oddly, a lot of development on the Beltline has led to some benefits in downtown.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 4:26 AM
Constant Vigilance!

Quote:
Haha, yea, it's been a long road but the city is finally starting to see some of the progress that was promised in the past decade. I think it helped that we've gotten some new political blood in office. Of course, it's really helped that the city has been developing in the retail sector better than it has in the past. Oddly, a lot of development on the Beltline has led to some benefits in downtown.
Baby steps. I'm too impatient for them, but baby steps is what it's going to take. I'm slowly starting to accept that, but of course, would love to be proved wrong and would love to see things happen overnight haha

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 7:25 AM
Cat Enthusiast

6th Ave Grocery Store Clearing Hurdles
Link

Long story short, a Wal Mart Neighborhood Market is in the process of constructing a store at the corner of 6th Ave (US 31) and 8th St in Decatur. This is across 8th St from Walgreen, and across 6th Ave from McDonald's.

Of course, Neighborhood market is the higher end grocery store that Wal Mart does. I don't understand why they're building in this part of town, unless they see some kind of potential. Not that I'm pessimistic, it's just that it's not the best part of town. It does actually have potential, a strong street grid in a high traffic area. Wal Mart does tend to do their research, so maybe they see a lot of future growth and gentrification in this part of town?

IN OTHER NEWS;

Mellow Mushroom has begun construction in downtown Decatur at the corner of 2nd Ave and Moulton St.

Calhoun Community College/Athens State Fine Arts campus is nearly finished in downtown.

Shopping center on 6th Ave near the Beltline intersection is progressing well.

Olive Garden is now complete at the corner of the Beltline and Veterans Dr.

I have no clue how construction is progressing at the mall on the Beltline. Though, there is supposed to be some construction on the Belk store and a new movie theater constructed in the old Dillard's location.

Lot's of good things happening! There are about 4 industrial projects going on in or within a few feet of the city that will employ around 500 to 600 total once completed. So! EVEN brighter days are ahead!

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 2:54 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Here are some pictures of the Alabama Center For The Arts, which was just completed a few weeks ago. It looks like a gorgeous facility.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 8:39 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Most recent news....

2nd Avenue streetscaping has finished.

2nd Phase of Alabama Center For The Arts has been approved!

Calhoun Community College (partial owner of the Alabama Center For The Arts) has been approved by the state board of secondary education for annexation into Decatur City Limits.

In other news....

Progress is currently undergoing on the Decatur Mall for renovations.

The new movie theater addition is also undergoing on the WSW portion of the mall.

The new Kohl's shopping center is nearly finished near the corner of the 6th Ave/Beltline Rd intersection.

Olive Garden has been finished for a while now. It has also conformed to new city zoning codes. It isn't perfect, but it has certainly started to make some great strides towards a more compact Decatur.

EDIT: Construction is also ongoing on the building for the downtown location for Mellow Mushroom. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

EDIT EDIT: Damn, I nearly forgot, construction on the new Walmart Neighborhood Market at the corner of 6th Ave and 8th St should be starting soon, if it already hasn't.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 10:23 PM
Cat Enthusiast

The new Carmike movie theater being constructed on the back side of the Decatur Mall is expected to be completed in January or February.

Here's a quote from DecaturDaily article about the BigD auditorium that is a part of this project.

Quote:
“There’s only 14 like it in the country, and it will be the first in Alabama,” Mayton said of the BigD screen. “You will feel like you’re in the first five rows at the Pink Floyd concert.”
That specific auditorium is three stories tall and 60 feet wide.

LINK

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:45 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Some quick bits to report since the proposed development was announced today.

$1.3 Bil Development

Going from my knowledge of the Decatur city limits across the river, the only parcel that is in a good location and a size large enough to handle this kind of development would be the one that Sweetwater still holds the option for.

Don Kyle was the mayor (and has returned as mayor) when Sweetwater was initially being considered. The city had made headway and had agreed to contribute $50 Million in infrastructure (other things included parks, police, fire, and schools). However, two unfortunate things happened... Don Kyle lost reelection to Don Stanford and the economy tanked. Don Stanford, as much as he facilitated regarding development around the US 31 (6th Av)/AL 67 (The Beltline) intersection, as well as with the Decatur Mall improvements, and even some good downtown streetscaping, wasn't able to perpetuate the Sweetwater deal. Anyways, Stanford out, Kyle in.

Sweetwater still holds an option on the land, and has since said (about a year and a half ago) that they plan to build, still, but at a scaled back and outlet format. However, Bass Pro said that they were coming no matter what, but that they were waiting for the economy to improve.

I guess it's conceivable that another developer saw an opportunity in the continued interest from Bass Pro; any project that incorporates a Bass Pro is typically going to be successful (though you do have the unfortunately situation where Prattville was saddled with some debt because of some failed, new urbanism, suburban shopping center).

If you want my humble opinion, I'd say I'm optimistic considering Decatur's recent retail expansion. With gas prices on the rise, and people wanting to live nearer where they shop and work, there's been a need for a regional shopping hub between Huntsville and The Shoals. However, sometimes you do get those pie in the sky deals that never work out because they were too ambitious.

Additionally, there have been a lot of manufacturing expansions (and newcomers) to the Decatur area, which will no doubt lead to a modest increase in population.

I do have confidence in Don Kyle, his last year or so in his first term as mayor was showing a lot of promise and it was unfortunate he lost the election. So, in the end, if this development never gets constructed, I'd say it's probably a bad deal.

I don't have anything new to report about it, but I'll keep an eye and ear out.

I'm interested to see what this turns out to be. I'd hate to see another asphalt coated shopping center.

Mellow Mushroom

The Mellow Mushroom under construction in downtown Decatur is expected to open on March 4th!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 1:47 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Decatur Daily reports today that the new Carmike theater at the mall will open on March 7.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 10:50 PM
Cat Enthusiast

AL.com reporting that the Decatur Kohl's will open next week.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 8:36 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Btw, the Decatur Daily is reporting that the development is something of a carry over from the Sweetwater talks way back when....

Dunno how I feel about it...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 4:26 AM
Cat Enthusiast

News

Decatur Honored, Again, for Industrial Recruitment LINK

The Decatur metro area has been honored for the second year in a row by Site Selection Magazine for attracting businesses to the city. Last year, it was number one, this year was honored at number 7 in a five way tie.

Renovation of 112 Year Old Rail Depot to Cost $2.5 Million LINK

This project has been planned for some time now, this is a new estimate. It'd be nice to finally see some progress.

Carmike Theater Opened Tonight

The new "state of the art" Carmike Theater at Decatur mall opened tonight. This opening is one of a few that have, or are to occur within these most recent two weeks.

Mellow Mushroom opened in downtown the other day and Kohl's should be opening in the next few days at the 6th Ave/Beltline intersection.

Additionally, the Wal Mart Neighborhood Market is under construction on 6th Ave across the street from McDonald's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast