HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Marks may be one of the largest clothing retailers however, they have been closing stores across Canada. Three of these stores that I know of were in Ottawa.
They closed the one on Innes Road near Rona and then opened a larger one further west on Innes near The Home Depot. The one at Place d'Orleans looks like it will be a good size.

Looks like more of an exercise of repositioning stores rather than closing them.

I get the impression that Mark's is doing quite well.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 8:39 PM

I just found out earlier this afternoon from a visit to the mall: the food court's being transplanted to the ground floor to make room for governmental tenants. Nothing more specific yet.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 8:43 PM

Majority of the second floor is already empty, so why can't they take that space? Do we know where the food court will be relocated? Seems the first floor is pretty full.

EDIT: CMHC might be expanding.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 6:18 PM

Where could the food court possibly go on the 1St floor?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:32 AM

Entertainment Ink's home-branch store - they're a local comics and sports memorabilia chain - is being relocated from the east end near Scotiabank and Sugar Mountain over to the west end, about halfway between Bank of Montréal and the Bay. Other relocations have been made and are expected to continue.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:33 AM

Also noting that the local Dollarama is apparently relocating from the second floor to across the street, hiving some space in the same building that was once a Loblaws and is now a No Frills grocery.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:57 AM

One good thing about relocating the food court + Tim Hortons (I hope) to the first floor is that it will make the mall seem more lively since everything will be on the same floor.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 6:53 PM

Fashion retailer Aubainerie expands to Ottawa with $2M Place d’Orléans store

Peter Kovessy
Jan 12, 2018 7:17am EST

One of Quebec’s largest clothing chains has chosen Ottawa for its first Ontario store and says it plans to hire up to 50 employees ahead of its March opening.

Aubainerie, which has been working in recent years to shed its image as a discount fashion store, says it’s spending $2 million to bring its AUB44 concept to Place d’Orléans. The offshoot brand of the 74-year-old retailer is aimed at presenting a “younger, more contemporary” image.

Aubainerie will occupy some 24,000 square feet at Place d’Orléans. The east-end mall – which is owned by Primaris, a division of H&R REIT – was saddled with some 139,000 square feet of empty space in mid-2015 after Target and several clothing shops departed.

The mall has since demolished some of its vacant areas in addition to attracting new tenants including clothing store Mark’s, which Primaris says occupies nearly 18,000 square feet.

The property owner still shows some 17,000 square feet as being available on the mall’s eastern edge.

http://obj.ca/article/fashion-retail...dorleans-store

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 9:58 PM

On the other side of Mark's from the rest of the mall, I suspect. That space - which I thought was going to be rented to Aubainerie/New Banner - has been sitting empty since the reduction of floor space at that end of the mall's main building.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 10:03 PM

I wasn't sure if there was enough room for Marks, l'Aubenerie and a Food Court, but that would make sense.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 10:53 AM

And the mall management plastered a sign announcing their intent on the walls covering where Doucet Jewellers moved from: the food court will be done moving down to the hallway it's currently overlooking by spring of 2019. Thyme, Eddie Bauer, Rogers, etc., will probably be moved.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 1:36 PM

Retailer Insider article on the Aubainerie store at Place d"Orleans.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...s-into-ontario

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 7:00 PM

It's really depressing what has happened to Place d'Orleans. I still fondly remember what it was like in it's golden years-it was truly the best mall in Ottawa and one of the best malls in Canada. The architecture was stunning if you really looked at it.

The mall was the hub of Orleans and a great meeting place. Believe it or not, the fountain was the center of the mall activity and the busiest corner of the mall. You actually used to struggle to find a parking space on a busy Saturday. It once had a Walmart, The Bay, Eatons, Loblaws, 2 restaurants and every storefront where Sport Check and Bay Home Store were built was occupied.

Four things happened that lead to the mall's decline:
1. Eatons bankruptcy. The Bay moved to Eatons and the mall was unable to secure a tenant for former space occupied by The Bay so management leased the space to RCMP.
2. Destruction of the 2nd floor by Sports Check and The Bay Home Store (Having to walk through a store to get to one side of the mall?? Huh?)
3. Closure of Walmart.
4. Competition from Innes Road & Rideau Centre revitalization.

The day management got rid of the fountain was the end of Place d'Orleans as we knew it.

I fear that Place is slowly turning into the Gloucester Centre. I am disappointed that the new wing with Marks was built like a big-box set up and new stores are being built outside in the parking lot instead of within the mall. These new stores are great but with this set up, the corridors of the mall will hardly enjoy an increase of foot traffic.

In my humble opinion, the age of the 20th century mall has passed and the whole mall should be demolished and redeveloped into an open-air lifestyle centre similar to Tanger or Lansdowne with mixed use development and a new grid-layout street system instead of ring roads. Champlain could go all the way to St. Joseph once again and put store frontage on St. Joseph- the historical main street of Orleans. With LRT coming to Orleans it makes sense to think of creating a walkable district adjacent to the station. A road diet on St. Joseph would also help.

Just a dream though. Keep voting for Bob Monette and putting up those Soviet towers surrounded by a sea of parking lots, Ottawa.

Last edited by canadianinmichigan; May 20, 2018 at 7:03 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 7:17 PM

That's honestly the smartest idea for Place and what I hope will happen. Orleans is really "maturing" as a suburb and I think there is appetite there for a more urban-style core.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 7:32 PM

I also like that idea. And this new development could provide a good connection to the area around Shenkman that already feels (as much as it can in Orleans) a little like a downtown. Have a few taller buildings (30-40 floors) along the highway, close to LRT, with heights stepping down to 8-12 towards the current "town centre" and the St-Joseph main street corridor.

I only wish they would build PdO Station under Champlain as a more central location to this potential downtown area instead of the current plan of eventually adding a station only 500 meters away at the current "town centre".

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianinmichigan View Post
It's really depressing what has happened to Place d'Orleans. I still fondly remember what it was like in it's golden years-it was truly the best mall in Ottawa and one of the best malls in Canada. The architecture was stunning if you really looked at it.

The mall was the hub of Orleans and a great meeting place. Believe it or not, the fountain was the center of the mall activity and the busiest corner of the mall. You actually used to struggle to find a parking space on a busy Saturday. It once had a Walmart, The Bay, Eatons, Loblaws, 2 restaurants and every storefront where Sport Check and Bay Home Store were built was occupied.

1. Eatons bankruptcy. The Bay moved to Eatons and the mall was unable to secure a tenant for former space occupied by The Bay so management leased the space to RCMP.
2. Destruction of the 2nd floor by Sports Check and The Bay Home Store (Having to walk through a store to get to one side of the mall?? Huh?)
3. Closure of Walmart.

The day management got rid of the fountain was the end of Place d'Orleans as we knew it.

I fear that Place is slowly turning into the Gloucester Centre. I am disappointed that the new wing with Marks was built like a big-box set up and new stores are being built outside in the parking lot instead of within the mall. These new stores are great but with this set up, the corridors of the mall will hardly enjoy an increase of foot traffic.

In my humble opinion, the age of the 20th century mall has passed and the whole mall should be demolished and redeveloped into an open-air lifestyle centre similar to Tanger or Lansdowne with mixed use development and a new grid-layout street system instead of ring roads. Champlain could go all the way to St. Joseph once again and put store frontage on St. Joseph- the historical main street of Orleans. With LRT coming to Orleans it makes sense to think of creating a walkable district adjacent to the station. A road diet on St. Joseph would also help.

Just a dream though. Keep voting for Bob Monette and putting up those Soviet towers surrounded by a sea of parking lots, Ottawa.
I don't think Rideau had anything to do with Place's decline. Look at Bayshore, it's thrived. I think the problem is Orleans is now over-retailed. There's way too much up the hill on Innes plus given the population ignoring having a large regional mall to fill as well. There's a fair bit of vacant space on Innes and yet they are still building more.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:

3. Closure of Walmart.

Wow. I didn't even notice they go rid of the foundation. Getting rid of the play area for kids upstairs in the food court was another misstep. A lot of stay-at-home parents used it. I know a few parents that used it regularly who haven't been back to the mall since they got rid of it.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
I don't think Rideau had anything to do with Place's decline. Look at Bayshore, it's thrived. I think the problem is Orleans is now over-retailed. There's way too much up the hill on Innes plus given the population ignoring having a large regional mall to fill as well. There's a fair bit of vacant space on Innes and yet they are still building more.
The west end is not like the east end.

West end residents are happy to live, work, dine and shop in the west end and only travel downtown on occasion. Most west-enders I know rarely travel east of Bayshore.

East end residents usually work, dine and shop downtown. Orleans is a true bedroom community. When Place was developed (80s and 90s) Rideau had a very bad reputation. One remembers the frightful transit-mall.

How can you say Orleans is over-retailed and Kanata is not? Kanata shoppers stay in Kanata.

Oh, and in my initial post I forgot to mention competition from Trainyards in addition to Rideau/Innes.

Last edited by canadianinmichigan; May 20, 2018 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
The west end is not like the east end.

West end residents are happy to live, work, dine and shop in the west end and only travel downtown on occasion. Most west-enders I know rarely travel east of Bayshore.

East end residents usually work, dine and shop downtown. Orleans is a true bedroom community. When Place was developed (80s and 90s) Rideau had a very bad reputation. One remembers the frightful transit-mall.

How can you say Orleans is over-retailed and Kanata is not? Kanata shoppers stay in Kanata.

Oh, and in my initial post I forgot to mention competition from Trainyards in addition to Rideau/Innes.
There isn't a road in Kanata that is congested as Innes, the most comparable is Merivale. I suppose it's true Kanata people stay in Kanata more than Orleans residents do, but as a person who travels to Kanata regularly to visit relatives Kanata feels far, much farther than Orleans. I live in the south end myself, but grew up in Orleans

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:

How can you say Orleans is over-retailed and Kanata is not? Kanata shoppers stay in Kanata..
There is no equivalent to PdO on the West side. All Western suburbs basically share Bayshore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs