HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 6:13 PM
They all float down here

Protect the children? What a fucking joke! Has anyone ever BEEN in The Blue Boutique? Outside of the adult area, which can't be entered by any minor, it's essentially the same as Spencer's Gifts and Victoria's Secret, BOTH in shopping malls across America.

What the hell is deemed inappropriate material in the first place? I'm so tired of these Holier Than Thou asshats who get offended at a drop of a hat. If they put half as much energy into protesting against poverty, war and hunger, it would become a far easier issue to combat. But when it comes to those children, you know, the ones that lose their parents to war, have to sleep in the cold because they're poor or spend nights going hungry, eh, fuck 'em, right? But oh no, little Sammy can't possibly see a girl in a bathing suit, lest he actually wants to go to the beach...can't have that. Not in Utah, anyway.

What a joke.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 6:34 PM
Bring out the cranes...

"Won't someone please think of the children!?!"

That has to be one of my favorite Simpson quotes.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Thank you Comrade, I sure enjoy your posts!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 7:17 PM

I love it how the parents at the meeting exploit their children by bringing them there to hold up signs saying "protect children" when the children don't even know what the signs say or mean.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Protect the children? What a fucking joke! Has anyone ever BEEN in The Blue Boutique? Outside of the adult area, which can't be entered by any minor, it's essentially the same as Spencer's Gifts and Victoria's Secret, BOTH in shopping malls across America.

What the hell is deemed inappropriate material in the first place? I'm so tired of these Holier Than Thou asshats who get offended at a drop of a hat. If they put half as much energy into protesting against poverty, war and hunger, it would become a far easier issue to combat. But when it comes to those children, you know, the ones that lose their parents to war, have to sleep in the cold because they're poor or spend nights going hungry, eh, fuck 'em, right? But oh no, little Sammy can't possibly see a girl in a bathing suit, lest he actually wants to go to the beach...can't have that. Not in Utah, anyway.

What a joke.
ditto

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 7:23 PM

so, exposing kids in the audience of the chambers to the adult toys is different than what blue boutique would be doing? eh? What a nut job.

btw, if blue boutique goes out of business I may have to find somewhere else to sit outside of on a Friday night.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
btw, if blue boutique goes out of business I may have to find somewhere else to sit outside of on a Friday night.
LOL

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 3:18 AM

Demolition permits issued for Sugar House Granite Block

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_7652436

Salt Lake City has issued demolition permits for three properties on the Sugar House Granite Block, but the permit for the Blue Boutique building still is on hold pending the proper clearance.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 12:18 PM

Major Redevelopment Begins, Razing crew levels Sugar House core - Granite Block to give way to retail, condos, offices

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_7907882

Sugar House residents Peter Steen and son Harrison, age 5, take in the demolition process Monday at the southwest corner of 2100 South and Highland Drive, where old buildings are being removed to make way for new ones. (Paul Fraughton/The Salt Lake Tribune)

Workers using heavy equipment began tearing down structures at the corner of 2100 South and 1100 East that included the former locales of the Blue Boutique, Sugarhouse Coffee and other small businesses. Demolition generally followed a path along Highland Drive (1100 East) between 2100 South and about 2150 South.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 4:15 AM

I am convinced the developers of this project are retarded.

Kicking off the project by killing the very reason that Sugar House is cool seems like bad business to me. Replacing vacant parking lots or that nasty Granite Furniture building to the West with their generic condos and chain stores, allowing them to parasite off local soul seems like a more prudent way to phase this project. But nooo- it is a knife to the heart, booting out all the businesses that you can't find anywhere else in Utah or the planet for that matter. They have given their potential buyers LESS reason to live in Sugar House.

I believe in property rights, but it should be illegal to use your property stupidly

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 8:02 PM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post

What a joke.

This is sad IMHO SugarHouse used to be my favorite area in all of Utah, well all of Utah that is Urbanized that is.

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 10:49 PM

pics of the sugarhouse block demolition i found from january 19th....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigbrow...7603733484311/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 12:50 PM

Wow...those pics actually made me gasp a little. Lots of good memories from that area...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 2:31 PM

I had no idea that so much had already been demolished!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 3:20 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

It is truly a shame that Sugarhouse will never be the same and will never have the same feeling that made it such a popular place, I don't understand how the developer doesn't get that.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 5:15 PM
Bring out the cranes...

While it's sad to see those old store fonts go. I glad those buildings will be replace with something newer. Those buildings were old, rundown, ugly, and unsafe. I don't think we will be losing sugarhouse. I think this project will take sugerhouse to the next level by turning it into more of a mix-use.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
While it's sad to see those old store fonts go. I glad those buildings will be replace with something newer. Those buildings were old, rundown, ugly, and unsafe. I don't think we will be losing sugarhouse. I think this project will take sugerhouse to the next level by turning it into more of a mix-use.
I disagree Projects. I think this development takes Sugar House to a more Generic level. While I do like the increased density and mixed use, I don't see why they couldn't build their condo towers on an unoccupied lot and spare the soul (this property is crawling with pavement behind the scenes).

Besides, what kind of stores do you think are going to be leasing there? Certainly not Phree Speech and pals, the GAP comes to mind.

"Those buildings were old, rundown, ugly, and unsafe." This is the same kind of mentality that ruined, and continues to ruin downtown. I think most of us would agree that Salt Lake needs to focus on infill before demolishing anymore unrecognized gems.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 7:59 PM
BANNED

I AGREE!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 8:05 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASDEN View Post
I disagree Projects. I think this development takes Sugar House to a more Generic level. While I do like the increased density and mixed use, I don't see why they couldn't build their condo towers on an unoccupied lot and spare the soul (this property is crawling with pavement behind the scenes).

Besides, what kind of stores do you think are going to be leasing there? Certainly not Phree Speech and pals, the GAP comes to mind.

"Those buildings were old, rundown, ugly, and unsafe." This is the same kind of mentality that ruined, and continues to ruin downtown. I think most of us would agree that Salt Lake needs to focus on infill before demolishing anymore unrecognized gems.
That's the biggest problem with this development. I don't have an issue with updating the look of SugarHouse, because, God knows the recladding of those buildings failed miserably. However, I see nothing from this developer that suggests he will be open to leasing space to locally owned business. And let's face it, the thing that makes SugarHouse SugarHouse is the fact most of the stores aren't found anywhere in Utah. They are unique to the neighborhood and offer shoppers something new. With this new development, we're probably going to see chains all the way from food to retail. And that means SugarHouse is now no different than the typical run of the mill suburban strip mall.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 8:12 PM

I think as far as new developments go this one will be pretty nice. Those buildings really did have to go and anything new that is built is automatically going to cost more to rent. Hopefully some of those stores will be able to come back but it's really not the developers fault if he has to charge more initially. If people really are loyal to those businesses they will continue to support those businesses even if prices increase

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West