HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 9:20 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
Also, no one answered my question. Is there going to be an underground parking lot?

I already told you that there will be underground parking or doesn't my opinion mean anything?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 9:24 PM

Im sure I'll be berated for saying this, but...

I never liked any of the stores that were displaced for the new development. My wife and I always liked going to Sugarhouse, but we generally kept to the Movies 10 / Wild Oats / Barnes & Noble side of the street.

In my opinion, the block that is being redeveloped just had a bunch of random junk shops and even beneath those 60's storefronts, there wasn't much worth saving. I personally think that this project will be a big improvement over what was there before, both in terms of aesthetics and the variety of tenants. Just because a retailer is local doesn't mean that I am going to shop there, and honestly, I'd take the GAP over anything that was there previously.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 9:29 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Im sure I'll be berated for saying this, but...

I never liked any of the stores that were displaced for the new development. My wife and I always liked going to Sugarhouse, but we generally kept to the Movies 10 / Wild Oats / Barnes & Noble side of the street.

In my opinion, the block that is being redeveloped just had a bunch of random junk shops and even beneath those 60's storefronts, there wasn't much worth saving. I personally think that this project will be a big improvement over what was there before, both in terms of aesthetics and the variety of tenants. Just because a retailer is local doesn't mean that I am going to shop there, and honestly, I'd take the GAP over anything that was there previously.

Thank you arkhitektor. I was starting to think I was the only one who felt the same way.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 9:39 PM
Desert Dweller

arkhitektor: The place was great because it didn't appeal to people like you. It had unique stores that brought the young, hip, urban folk who appreciate the "underground" scene. At one time it was a Mecca for the goths, the punks, the hessians, the skaters, and pretty much anyone who represented the non-LDS youth in SLC. That area lost a lot of its charm when the Barnes and Noble and Wild Oats moved in.

I am sure having a Gap and TGI Friday's will bring more money and people to the area, which is ultimately all that matters. At least the 9th and 9th area is still there, for now.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 10:15 PM

thankyou phxsprawler!
It's so obvious that the developer just wants this to be another bland white bread retail and office establishment that appeals to the middle class white mormon contingent. He even said something to the effect of "I want something that you'd feel comfortable bringing the kids to...something everyone can enjoy." How about virtually the entire rest of the valley you ass hat!
This used to be the place where "the others" could congregate and feel comfortable, and now it's being destroyed so "it's good for the kids". I realize we live in a capitalistic society and this guy has every right to do what he wants with his property, but it's still sad for me and others who felt like this was an area with character and counter-culture, almost like you could find in the rest of the country.

As a side not, several sugarhouse shops have relocated on state between 3rd and 4th S., and on 3rd S. between state and 3rd E., and thereabouts. This is actually a pretty cool area now, and fairly vibrant, on saturdays anyway. I encourage everyone missing sugarhouse to check it out.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 10:18 PM

Have any of you ever spent any amount of time on Melrose, in the heart of the Melrose District, L.A.? As far as mix of retailers, it's a mecca for both the unique and the classy at the same time. I would like to see a mix similar to what I find at Melrose.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCforme View Post
thankyou phxsprawler!
It's so obvious that the developer just wants this to be another bland white bread retail and office establishment that appeals to the middle class white mormon contingent. He even said something to the effect of "I want something that you'd feel comfortable bringing the kids to...something everyone can enjoy." How about virtually the entire rest of the valley you ass hat!
This used to be the place where "the others" could congregate and feel comfortable, and now it's being destroyed so "it's good for the kids". I realize we live in a capitalistic society and this guy has every right to do what he wants with his property, but it's still sad for me and others who felt like this was an area with character and counter-culture, almost like you could find in the rest of the country.

As a side not, several sugarhouse shops have relocated on state between 3rd and 4th S., and on 3rd S. between state and 3rd E., and thereabouts. This is actually a pretty cool area now, and fairly vibrant, on saturdays anyway. I encourage everyone missing sugarhouse to check it out.
Well, I'm white, middle class and LDS, so I suppose the new Sugarhouse will be just the place for me: a white, middle class mormon who wants to shop at the GAP but is still a bit too liberal to move to Draper.

........And from the developer's point of view; goths, punks, hessians and skaters have almost no money or buying power so of course he's going to cater to the people who have money. He'd be stupid not to.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Have any of you ever spent any amount of time on Melrose, in the heart of the Melrose District, L.A.? As far as mix of retailers, it's a mecca for both the unique and the classy at the same time. I would like to see a mix similar to what I find at Melrose.

Yes, but LA is a whole different world compared to Salt Lake and LA has a completely different urban fabric than SLC and Utah. I would prefer Sugarhouse to remain as it has been, an alternative SL district that offers the creativity and pedestrian traffic that our downtown doesn't offer.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 12:23 AM

I will be happy with the new development as long as they bring back something like Cockers or the Blue Boutique.. and maybe a new liquor store

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Well, I'm white, middle class and LDS, so I suppose the new Sugarhouse will be just the place for me: a white, middle class mormon who wants to shop at the GAP but is still a bit too liberal to move to Draper.

........And from the developer's point of view; goths, punks, hessians and skaters have almost no money or buying power so of course he's going to cater to the people who have money. He'd be stupid not to.

Ouch bro! As a proud goth-punk-hessian-skater who is WAY concerned about his community I am beside myself!

I am a working class citizen who now has no reason to spend my apparently unwanted money at Sugar House's new generic megaplex. I can get their wares anywhere, but not the vibe.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 8:09 PM
utahn

Granite Block Comes Down

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 8:17 PM
utahn

Gentrification personified on this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASDEN View Post
Ouch bro! As a proud goth-punk-hessian-skater who is WAY concerned about his community I am beside myself!

I am a working class citizen who now has no reason to spend my apparently unwanted money at Sugar House's new generic megaplex. I can get their wares anywhere, but not the vibe.
I love the discussion here. Debating wheter or not Sugar House Granite block punk shops were in need of removal. Those shops made the block viable and were the last hold out of the hippies, punks, artists and wasteoids who found meaning there. This is the story how these punks restored that block and put dollar signs in the eyes of developer Craig Mecham. Now its out with the hippies in with the yuppies. Its the dollar that trumps all. I've enjoyed covering this story thanks to everyone who has supported my coverage.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 8:46 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Here is the video link of the interview of Craig Mecham.

In the video Mecham shows renderings and layout of this project and that how it will FIT with Sugarhouse and his buildings will have brick and brownstone and that there WILL be UNDERGROUND parking. ( Two levels.)

http://www.utahstories.com/videoAlon...?MovieName=ae2

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 9:03 PM

I've lived internationally most of my life and I certainly wouldn't call Sugar House a center of counter-culture, but I realize that it certainly did represent a different demographic than the rest of the Salt Lake Valley.

One good aspect is that those successful businesses have moved to other locations. For example, Cockers is now located on State Street. They took a delapitated building and invested in it. I hope that they can help to revitalize that block face. If a business could only be successful in one particular location and not survive a move, undoubtedly, they weren't much of a business to begin with.

And don't worry there are still plenty of other open buildings in Sugar House, in fact, across the street there are empty building fronts. Sugar House will be exactly what people want it to be. If locals are willing to put there money where their mouth is, these small local businesses can not only survive, but prosper.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 9:04 PM
Desert Dweller

Interesting article!

For me, it is all about sentimental memories. I spent my summers taking the bus downtown and to Sugarhouse. I bought all my cds and posters at the Heavy Metal Shop. I bought the majority of my Christmas presents there and at Blue Botique, which is also where I got my first piercing. I spent hours drinking Mochaccinos at Java Jive, which was the place I came out to my best friends. I met some very interesting people in that very same plaza- writers, artists, philosphers. For me, it symbolized a cradle for expression, thought, and teen angst. It was a simple corner of the world that provided a beacon of hope for finding like-minded individuals. It certainly helped me through my difficult and confusing teenage years.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 11:05 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

While I too am sad to see the Sugarhouse that we all knew be redeveloped the benefit of a growing city(metro) and I estimate the city itself will increase in population also, is that there will always be a need for the, as some might call it "counter culture" that made Sugarhouse the viable place that it is. These people and these business owners won't go away they will most likely increase and as UTPlanner said these businesses will continue to survive and prosper in new locations, revitalizing or even creating other neighborhoods within the city. I remember Broadway East of State 10-15 years ago and it was a pretty vacant run down part of town, but look at it now, it really is coming back into it's own and is become a distinct neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the posting of the video link Projects, I really enjoyed that. Also, I don't know how many of us have officially welcomed UTPlanner, who is fairly new to the forum, "so a big welcome to UTPlanner."

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 3:23 AM

Indeed Delts

Welcome to the forum UTPlanner

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:17 PM

Bulldozers changing face of Sugar House

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...248435,00.html

Tim Hussin, Deseret Morning News

Last edited by delts145; Jan 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 2:04 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Bulldozers changing face of Sugar House

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...248435,00.html

Tim Hussin, Deseret Morning News

Don't get me wrong, I am sad to see the old Sugarhouse go. I am glad to hear that some of the former tenants will receive discounts in the new developments. At this point there really is nothing we can do about the new development, we can just hope that it ends up being a quality development and there will be a nice mix of tenants in the space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West