HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 7:08 AM
The Drifter

Looks like this warmer weather and lack of snow has been good for the airport development. More time allowed to complete the parking garage and to get the concourse and terminal enclosed before any large amounts of snow or cold weather should allow this phase to complete earlier.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Looks like this warmer weather and lack of snow has been good for the airport development. More time allowed to complete the parking garage and to get the concourse and terminal enclosed before any large amounts of snow or cold weather should allow this phase to complete earlier.
Well, the project as a whole is actually close to two weeks behind schedule at this point. So hopefully they can get back to where they need to be to hit their timeframe goals if the good weather persists.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 11:45 PM

A few tidbits from the notes in the last board meeting:

- Wyatt stated that Delta is very pleased with the flights to Amsterdam and Paris, although
adding frequency is unlikely.
- The seasonal flight to London is constrained by the fact that few passengers connect
beyond London because that market is pretty well owned by British Airways. Although
Delta has a partnership with Virgin Atlantic, expanding service to London would also
have a negative impact on the existing Paris and Amsterdam routes.
- Delta has a very strong joint venture with Aeromexico, which will begin service from
SLC to Mexico City on December 23rd and to Guadalajara in January.
- The South America market is also under consideration.

I did notice that the KLM Amsterdam flight is up to 4x/week (from 3x/week last year), so that's a little bonus. I personally don't see any viable South American markets, or even Central American for that matter.

Also there was this interesting request:

Best-Devereux and Martin also asked to discuss the Northwest Quadrant and the possibility of an additional runway at a future meeting.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 12:11 AM

I really think that Seoul would work, and I'm surprised to see them talking about it so little. Besides Japan (which is only the 4th largest Asian market and would require about an hour of backtracking), DL's upcoming joint venture with KE will allow for very convenient 1 stops from SLC to most of Asia, which is very attractive to frequent fliers. SLC is west of most of the country and an ideal connecting place for most Midwesterners, Floridans / Southerners, Texans, and people in the intermountain west. DL charges high fares on European prices because they have the market locked down here and frequent fliers will pay. I think adding Seoul to most major-minor markets and then keeping two TPAC hubs (SEA, DTW + minor LAX) matches their strategy of connecting most major-minor markets with Paris and or Amsterdam, and utilizing ATL+JFK as TATL hubs.

International O/D is growing rapidly in SLC. I'm sure that DL could expand their joint venture with Virgin Atlantic and keep the same load factors in CDG and AMS over the course of a year. Maybe DL should stop routing passengers over SLC-AMS-LHR during the LHR flight's season. Growth is also incredibly strong in China. I think the board should be more aggressive is courting new flights, even if this is a fortress hub.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 8:05 AM

https://www.slcairport.com/assets/pd...ketJan2018.pdf

Page 24, program budget. I don't know if I am misinterpreting this chart, but the last reported cost of the TRP was 2.9 billion. Is the "Total Program Construction Cost" at 3.1 billion the represented cost of the program or is the "Total Airport Redevelopment Program" of 3.6 billion dollars the total cost of the program, and did the cost rise by $700 million?

Page 31, also funny... when the new airport opens, the old Concourse E will sit in front of the terminal plaza and block most of the view. Lol.

The north concourse should break ground within the next few weeks, we should see an announcement about that soon.

Last edited by jubguy3; Jan 17, 2018 at 8:16 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
https://www.slcairport.com/assets/pd...ketJan2018.pdf

Page 31, also funny... when the new airport opens, the old Concourse E will sit in front of the terminal plaza and block most of the view. Lol.
yeah....did you expect them to just open the entire project at once? The graphic on page 31 is only after phase 1 is done, not the full thing, there is bound to be an interim issue when you are rebuilding an entire airport that covers partially the same footprint as the old one.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 10:33 AM

Something I found interesting in the report of the latest board meeting:

This year Delta will have fewer than 40 daily flights on regional jets, compared to 250+ just ten years ago. Most flights have been upgauged to main line aircraft in recent years. Another reason why there will be no dedicated regional gates in the new airport.

I know it’s been mentioned before, but nearly all of SLC’s growth is O/D traffic, with very little to no increase in connecting passengers in the last twenty or so years. Delta has repeatedly said they are “committed” to the SLC market, and are expanding international flights (currently examining flights to South America and Asia) but what is the likelihood of them growing the hub traffic at SLC? That is, increase connecting traffic?

As far as the struggling London route goes due to Delta’s lack of European connections, if the high demand is there what’s keeping British Airways from swooping in and offering their vast connecting network? Thoughts? Salt lake is one the largest US markets unserved by British airways without pre-existing daily year round service on another carrier. The only other unserved markets that are larger are non-hub cities with very low traffic yield, such as St. Louis, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh. So in that sense, SLC is the largest hub market without year round daily service to London.

Last edited by Wasatch Wasteland; Jan 18, 2018 at 10:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:32 PM

SLCDA and Delta came to an agreement to reduce /freeze connecting capacity during the TRP. Because the south end of the E gates are gone, there isn't really any place to put the high volume of regional jets. The airport is still growing but they came to an agreement to upgrade many routes to mainline and reduce connecting growth as much as possible to reduce strain on the airport. SLC is Delta's fastest growing fortress hub and it's fastest growing O/D market. It is still growing but growth is on hold somewhat until 2020 and much of the growth is coming from upgauging CRJ routes to aircraft like E175 and 737-7/A319.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:45 PM

While discussing the Airport:

Delta wants longer lease at Salt Lake City airport in deal that could help pay for expansion.

https://www.sltrib.com/pb/news/polit...-for-expansion

Quote:
Delta Air Lines wants a 10-year extension on its lease at Salt Lake City International Airport through 2034, a long-term commitment that airport officials said Wednesday includes a pledge to cover any shortfall in debt payments on the airport’s $3.6 billion renovation.
Quote:
There are nearly 1,000 workers now on the project, a number that could swell to more than 1,600 later this year, Mike Williams, the terminal redevelopment program director, told the board.
I think the odds of the full North Concourse being completed at the same time are high with the extension request. It would be cheaper in the long run to do the construction at the same time then to come back and do it a few years later.

With O/D growth, it just makes sense to do it now. It is the same thought as with the North Concourse originally. They weren't going to do it but then thought it would be better and shortly thereafter, the gates were pre-leased. Adding the last 15 gates on the concourse would only help growth even if they are only used sporadically for a year or 2 after construction is completed.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
SLCDA and Delta came to an agreement to reduce /freeze connecting capacity during the TRP. Because the south end of the E gates are gone, there isn't really any place to put the high volume of regional jets. The airport is still growing but they came to an agreement to upgrade many routes to mainline and reduce connecting growth as much as possible to reduce strain on the airport. SLC is Delta's fastest growing fortress hub and it's fastest growing O/D market. It is still growing but growth is on hold somewhat until 2020 and much of the growth is coming from upgauging CRJ routes to aircraft like E175 and 737-7/A319.

Thanks, that makes more sense. I figured as much. I’m curious as to whether or not Delta will switch back to multiple regional flights a day vs one or two mainline jets once the airport is completed.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:58 PM
Traffic Engineer (EIT)

If from "day one" (end of construction in 2022) the airlines/Delta are using all the gates from both concourses, what are the odds SLC would have to build a third concourse one day?

Also: How will the tunnel work? Is it a people mover like Denver or just a moving walkway?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
If from "day one" (end of construction in 2022) the airlines/Delta are using all the gates from both concourses, what are the odds SLC would have to build a third concourse one day?

Also: How will the tunnel work? Is it a people mover like Denver or just a moving walkway?
If I understand correctly, the main tunnel will be moving walkways for now, but once the third concourse is built it is large enough to be converted into a people mover.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

The west tunnel, pedestrian only, will be the only operational tunnel when the first phase of the airport opens (see page 31 of the pdf linked somewhere above). The central tunnel will open in phase 2 (along with the east tunnel, if the 15 gate extension is approved) and it will open as a pedestrian only tunnel, but the majority of the width of the tunnel is going to be reserved for a people-mover system. I imagine that SLCDA would exercise the option to install the people mover when the third concourse is built because it really isn't necessary in places like SLC and DTW with two concourses. They might not activate it anyways, which I would be okay with, because I find people movers to be flashy and expensive for what is offered. The nice part is that, unlike denver, we will have pedestrian tunnels and THREE of them so even if the main tunnel has to be closed to pedestrian traffic, there are two functional pedestrian tunnels in the final buildout.

Here is an article from the deseret news:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...t-5-years.html

Big new Salt Lake airport may be too small after just 5 years

SALT LAKE CITY — Once the $3 billion Salt Lake City International Airport project is completed around 2025 and the existing facility is demolished, it may end up being too small within just five years.

"If the growth we're experiencing now continues, we have to potentially plan," Kevin Robins, engineering director for the city's Department of Airports, told the Salt Lake City Airport Advisory Board Wednesday.

That may mean considering a third and potentially a fourth concourse in addition to the new south and north concourses expected to open in August 2020, he said, with more gates already scheduled for completion in late 2024.

Robins came up with the five-year estimate after being asked by a board member, state Senate Minority Whip Karen Mayne, D-West Valley City, how many years of growth would be taken care of by building a new airport.

Mike Williams, program director for the airport project, said there are 15 gates planned for the north concourse that aren't part of the current construction schedule but could serve as "kind of a relief valve" if necessary.

Even with those extra gates, though, Robins said it could be just five years before the city would have to expand the airport to accommodate the growth.

Robins said after the meeting that the current airport project that eventually will replace the current concourses and other buildings was planned based on the number of passengers increasing an average of 1.5 percent annually.

But with more than a million additional passengers passing through the airport from January 2016 to January 2017 — an increase of nearly 5.3 percent — he said there's already a push to add even more gates.

"Right now, we happen to be in a very robust cycle with the airlines. They're making money on all their flights. The economy is good. People are flying, so they're trying to put as many airplanes in as possible," Robins said.

"We also recognize at some point, it's going to slow down," he added.

Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski, who attended the meeting, also said the current growth in passenger traffic at the airport can't be counted to continue.

"We're all expecting another downturn in the economy over the next couple of years. What does that do? So it's hard to predict, but we're paying attention. And then we'll see," the mayor said.

She said with "all the unpredictable activity happening in the national setting," a reference to the new administration of President Donald Trump, "there is real cause for pause right now."

International travel bookings reportedly declined after Trump banned travel from countries deemed a national security threat. His January ban, revised after being struck down in federal court, was set to take effect Thursday. A judge in Hawaii, however, put the ban on hold after hearing arguments that the executive order discriminates on the basis of nationality.

According to ForwardKeys, a company that tracks travel, international travel bookings to the United States were down 6.5 percent in February compared to a year ago.

The number of passengers on international flights at the Salt Lake airport is up more than 39 percent from January 2016 to 2017 with several nonstop international flights.

Robins said Salt Lake is "bucking" the downturn in international passengers reported elsewhere.

"Overall, the trend is probably going to slow, but where we're positioned in the market from Europe coming and visiting our national parks and everything that we have in Utah, I don't know that we're going to see the same slowing," he said.

So far, about $250 million has been spent on the airport project, according to Williams. The price tag went up about $350 million in December largely because of higher than anticipated costs due to a "hot" construction market.

Williams said with the design process just getting underway for the north concourse, the $737 million estimated cost for that piece of the airport project is expected to go up.

About $1 billion in bonds were recently sold for the project, which is being funded through airport revenues such as parking, car rental and airline fees, not taxpayer dollars.

-

-

-

It really is up to what delta wants. The tone of the most recent article sounds like the north concourse extension by 15 gates to the full buildout is going to be approved by Delta. They obviously love having a fortress hub here and they are going to be wary of expanding capacity to beyond what they want to use... every single percent of market share saves them money. I would imagine that Delta intends to occupy as much of the new airport as possible, and I would expect a dramatic expansion of the hub in SLC in 2020-2024.

The problem with expanding the airport beyond the second concourse is: A, stress on the baggage system (SLC really should have built a larger terminal for this project, the small terminal will be the pitfall of this airport, especially as O/D grows) and B. north field support services beyond taxiway E would all need to be moved unless we want an ineffectively small concourse E. That includes the Delta hangar and the SkyWest buildings, along with everything in between.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 5:20 PM

Speaking of baggage handling, aren't they planning to leave a space between the future ground-level TRAX station and the new terminal building in order to expand the baggage retrieval system in the future? What are the chances that they expedite the expansion and build a bigger baggage system from the start?

I was also reminded of this song:
(Just pretend he sings "And I'm so worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Salt Lake")
Video Link

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 7:07 PM

Jubguy- the airport people must be monitoring this site. They just posted on facebook the view from the Terminal Plaza looking north.
https://www.facebook.com/SaltLakeCit...898660/?type=3

Ironically, it is tall enough that you can't even see terminal E below so no worries on the view being spoiled at the 2020 opening!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 7:24 AM

The Airport posted slightly updated renderings on a few of the older images, as well as new renderings for the proposed ground level TRAX station.

Edit: Link. https://www.slcairport.com/thenewslc...gs-and-images/

Last edited by Wasatch Wasteland; Jan 22, 2018 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
new renderings for the proposed ground level TRAX station.
Links or it didn't happen!

Never mind. I'm a grown up capable of using Google to find renderings on my own:

https://www.slcairport.com/thenewslc...gs-and-images/

I like this plan. You can't get any closer to the airport than that!

Last edited by Hatman; Jan 22, 2018 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:11 PM

The new renderings are so ugly compared to what was initially released. I hope the new airport does aesthetically match the wood / copper renderings because this orange / white cladding is hideous. And the problem with the ground floor TRAX station is that it makes expanding the terminal a complete pain in the ass. Do it right and put it next to the gateway center.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
And the problem with the ground floor TRAX station is that it makes expanding the terminal a complete pain in the ass. Do it right and put it next to the gateway center.
The end of the platform is still 150 feet or so away from the terminal. The platform also starts where the roadway stops being parallel with the terminal, and begins to shift away. This means that even if they wanted to expand the terminal further than that 150-200 feet on either end, they’d be limited by the length of the parallel portion of the elevated roadway. So currently the proposed station is the exact same distance away from terminal as the maximum distance they can expand due to the elevated roadway moving away from the terminal. So the station location won’t be a problem for terminal expansion beyond that few hundred feet total on either end, it will be the roadway.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 11:02 PM

SLC-PIT starting summer 2018

Delta has announced new nonstop service between SLC and PIT starting summer of 2018. Don't know if this is seasonal or year round. I think the next two holes in DL's SLC network are Cleveland and Columbus. El Paso is also a very good possibility. SLC finished 2017 with 24.2 million passengers. I think SLC is nuts if they don't do a full buildout of the north concourse.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West