HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 1:32 PM

aaron38, ^ that's not the way the real world works now or ever in the past or will ever work in the future...

of course Lucas was serious, he was fighting the FotPL lawsuit, he had SCB working on construction documents and he had purchased a home in the city...

you have yet to really prove that all of the institutions in our parks throughout the city are in any way an actual detriment... they are all, almost without exception (not sure about the benefits of a NFL stadium to the park), rather a huge benefit to the city and to the activity in the parks in which they reside, which can be easily proved...

Last edited by pilsenarch; Jan 13, 2018 at 1:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:29 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Column: An Obama tower in an Olmsted park? Yes, but design still needs refinement
By Blair Kamin

During his White House years, Barack Obama did not shy away from big, provocative political issues. The aesthetic instincts of the former president, who once wanted to be an architect, are proving no different.

Seven months after unveiling the design for his Obama Presidential Center, including a stone-sheathed museum tower that I panned as ponderous and Pharaonic, Obama was back last week, via video this time, to tout a revised design for the high-rise — taller, slimmer and even more monumental than the first edition.
Kamin doesn't seem bothered by the setting, just wants refinements to the tower (which I agree with).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
The Museum of Contemporary Art is superior to the Art Institute.

The only reason, and I do mean the ONLY reason to put a building in a park is so it can snobbishly sneer down at others and say "Look at me, over here on the lawn all by myself, I'm so much better than you over there". Vanity and pride.

The Museum of Contemporary Art is located on public land that is leased for 99 years at a cost of $1. It was the location formerly of a National Guard Armory (106th Cavalry) which was relocated to a building near Soldier Field that needed to be renovated for use as an armory to the tune of $4.6 Million. The Armory was, as you may have noticed, directly adjacent to a public park in an area where there is little green space.

This Museum is therefore much worse than AIC by your own reasoning.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 9:30 PM

Well i guess even though i am wearing 4 year old jeans from kohls....i am vain and snobbish cause guess what, I like it there, it IS a better location, it is a better looking building and its collection of Art BLOWS AWAY the MCA...so mission accomplished it is better than you over there and i am completely ok with that... the Art Institute is on a level few museums achieve, MCA is not even on the scope

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 9:31 PM

I wasn't aware of that. I'm not going to defend any sweetheart deals the MCA got. But government land and public land are not the same thing. Armories, like most government buildings are not open to the public for recreational use.
Should the armory land have been turned into parkland? Maybe. But it wasn't a park yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
of course Lucas was serious, he was fighting the FotPL lawsuit, he had SCB working on construction documents and he had purchased a home in the city...

you have yet to really prove that all of the institutions in our parks throughout the city are in any way an actual detriment... they are all, almost without exception (not sure about the benefits of a NFL stadium to the park), rather a huge benefit to the city and to the activity in the parks in which they reside, which can be easily proved...
Suing for free parkland ($10 for 99 years) doesn't count as being serious.

I don't have to prove that buildings in parks are a detriment. Rather, those who want to seize parkland need to show that there is absolutely no other place those buildings could be built. And that these institutions that all charge admission are economically not viable if they have to pay for land like everyone else.

What if Amazon pulls a Lucas and says they'll bring 50,000 jobs to Chicago, but only if they can have a lakefront campus. In Lincoln Park. Wouldn't that be a benefit to the city and increase activity in the park?
This is a real question. Why should Lucas and Obama get Chicago parkland but not Jeff Bezos?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 9:56 PM
1st Ward

There really isn't a set precedent for a big corporation to move its HQ to parkland in the city. Besides, nothing of the sort was requested by Amazon of contender cities, unlike thinks like transit accessibility.

As for museums, there is decades of precedence of locating them in parks. Almost all of Chicago's most prestigious institutions are on parkland along the lakefront. I think their presence enhances our parks, much like a field house, statue or monument. Having the Lucas museum replace an asphalt parking lot would have been a major win, in my book. Much like the Obama library replacing Cornell Dr.

Now, forcing the city to remove the road and upgrade Stony Island Ave using taxpayer dollars is another argument entirely...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
This is a real question. Why should Lucas and Obama get Chicago parkland but not Jeff Bezos?
This sounds like the NIMBY reasoning one hears when arguing for why we ought to encourage more development. They always respond saying “why do you care so much about the developers?” It’s as if they can’t see past the first-order effects and recognize that it’s not about the developers’ interests (nor Obama’s or Bezos’ or Lucas’) but about the benefits society as a whole may enjoy. That our interests happen to align with their profit motive or vanity is irrelevant.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 3:49 PM

I think Rahm should have taken a cue from Daley's playbook after losing the Lucas Museum, and bulldozed that parking lot in the middle of the night.

If you want your "park" so badly, fine, we will make it into a landscaped park!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 4:25 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
I think Rahm should have taken a cue from Daley's playbook after losing the Lucas Museum, and bulldozed that parking lot in the middle of the night.

If you want your "park" so badly, fine, we will make it into a landscaped park!
Judge order prevented that

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:56 AM

Hopefully this thing actually gets started this year. Needs to be built ASAP. New designs are a major improvement, as well.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAgain View Post
Hopefully this thing actually gets started this year. Needs to be built ASAP. New designs are a major improvement, as well.
Groundbreaking should be at the end of this year if I recall

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:02 PM
Team Alinghi

Crain's provided a link to the PD application, if anyone is interested.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:00 PM

^ Nice! If anyone still wants the City Clerk link, here it is: https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 11:38 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
https://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2018...-design-tweaks

Blair Kamin on Obama Presidential Center Design Tweaks
Alexandra Silets | January 16, 2018

Quote:
https://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2018...ease-activists

CULTURE
Will Changes to the Obama Presidential Center Appease Activists?
Alexandra Silets | January 15, 2018

......But concerns run deeper than drive time. It will cost an estimated $100 million to expand Lake Shore Drive to accommodate the shift and increase in traffic, a cost that could be shouldered by taxpayers.

“I asked a Department of Transportation official how much it would cost and I was told that it would be a minimum of $100 million for just for Lake Shore Drive,” said W.J.T Mitchell, a University of Chicago professor who co-authored a letter of opposition to the plan signed by nearly 200 members of the university’s faculty.

“You can figure another $100 million for reconfiguring Stoney Island,” Mitchell said.
“The foundation is being disingenuous about the road improvements – they want to maintain status quo of traffic, not make it better.” .........

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development