HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 6:11 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

The Fall Colors of Boise

I accidentally deleted some of the photos on the first few pages from my Photobucket account.

2017 is in the works

Last edited by Sawtooth; Sep 2, 2017 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 12:18 AM

Lovely pictures! I've been looking forward to this thread. Thanks for posting and keep 'em coming.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 4:55 AM
Denver

great shots!

Looks like fall colors in boise haven't even peaked yet. should be nice in another week or two I imagine

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 12:15 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureNorthEnder View Post
Lovely pictures! I've been looking forward to this thread. Thanks for posting and keep 'em coming.

Thanks FutureNorthEnder! There is more on the way soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
great shots!

Looks like fall colors in boise haven't even peaked yet. should be nice in another week or two I imagine
Thanks Scottk.
Next week towards Halloween we should peak. Our Autumn's last a long time and the trees take their time changing mostly because of our low elevation here in the Boise River Valley. When November rolls around and depending on the weather we can have some fall colors almost up to Thanksgiving.

To compare within our IMW region, Boise's elevation is 2,730 ft, The Mile High King city of Denver is of course 5,280 ft, Salt Lake is 4,327 ft and Idaho Falls is 4,700 ft.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:37 AM
Denver

Interesting sawtooth, thanks for explaining that to me.

I always assumed that because Boise is so much further north than Denver that your climate would be colder than ours. I guess not!

our fall colors have basically peaked, although the past two weeks temps have been in the upper 70s, and we are looking at more of the same for the next week

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:16 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

[Center]The journey continues.

Early this morning I was in the Hyde Park Historic District which is a business district on 13th Street within the residential Northend Historic District. Hyde Park is about a mile north of downtown and its development began in 1891 through the early 1900's.

In the early 1900's Boise had one of the nations first and complete electric rail commuter systems (source: "Boise, Idaho 1882-1910, Prosperity in Isolation" by Carol Lynn MacGregor), the Boise Rapid Transit aka The Interurban. A trolley line ran up 13th Street among other streets in the Northend. Back in the day Boise and the valley was rather progressive when considering the trolley/rail system and the city is currently trying to bring a modern trolley system back, but there are some dorks out there who refer to this attempt as the mayors "choo-choo". I hope those peculiar anti trolley people all decide to move to Notus or Oreana and take their bad energy away from Boise.

Here is a little preview of Hyde Park, Boise's most walkable neighborhood.

Last edited by Sawtooth; Sep 2, 2017 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 2:42 AM

Wonderful! Love Hyde Park and Harrison Halloween. Do they go all out for Christmas, too? Is that bake shop new? What's going on with the red -trimmed corner building? Was it an antique store before? What is it going to be?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 6:16 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Wonderful! Love Hyde Park and Harrison Halloween. Do they go all out for Christmas, too? Is that bake shop new? What's going on with the red -trimmed corner building? Was it an antique store before? What is it going to be?
Harrison Boulevard does go all out for Christmas with a lot of lights. Next week more of the homes should have Halloween decorations out to prepare for the 31st. The bakery is new and the previous antique store in that building is opening soon as another antique store based on the posters in the windows. I've always thought that building would be great for a bistro or coffee shop.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 6:38 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

another historical detour

Ustick

Ustick was a small town founded in 1907 by Harland Ustick. It is 5 miles from downtown Boise and was a rural community that was known for its fruit orchards before the westward growth of Boise took it over and is now surrounded by homes and subdivisions. The electric railroad, the Interurban was built through Ustick in 1907.

History link~ http://boiseplanning.wordpress.com/2...oppurtunities/

the source~ http://boiseplanning.files.wordpress...3/looploop.png

the source~ http://boiseplanning.files.wordpress...ktownsite1.jpg

the source~ http://boiseplanning.files.wordpress...stick-road.jpg

I don't get the whitewashed store fronts.

Up next, The Black Forest

Last edited by Sawtooth; Oct 23, 2014 at 6:55 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 9:54 PM

Thanks, Sawtooth! I have lived here for 20 of my 25 years and had absolutely no idea Ustick was once a stand-alone town. Fascinating.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 5:34 AM

I think I want to visit Boise in the summer just to float down that river. Denver doesn't really have a nice lazy river like that. Is it clean water or is it like Denver where tons of factories line it making it nice and polluted ?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 10:53 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidboise View Post
Thanks, Sawtooth! I have lived here for 20 of my 25 years and had absolutely no idea Ustick was once a stand-alone town. Fascinating.
You are welcome kidboise

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post
I think I want to visit Boise in the summer just to float down that river. Denver doesn't really have a nice lazy river like that. Is it clean water or is it like Denver where tons of factories line it making it nice and polluted ?
Floating the Boise is a rite of summer and would definitely be worth the trip. The water is clean and enters the valley from the mountains and through the Boise River Canyon outside of city limits so it is cold and fresh. The headwaters of the Boise River system are up in the Sawtooth Mountains and flows through the Boise Mountains on the way to the valley.

The river through the city is popular for rainbow trout and steelhead fly fishing. I've read historical accounts of what the river was like during the Oregon Trail days that say the river was almost red in certain areas because there was so much salmon. Of course this was before the Columbia and Snake River damns were built.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 11:31 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Boise River Bottoms

boom, gone.

Last edited by Sawtooth; Sep 18, 2017 at 10:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 1:44 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

The progression of Fall

what are you looking at!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 1:29 PM
Transit Advocate

Beautiful pictures. I love Boise. I've visited numerous times and never cease to be impressed. Seriously, Boise makes SLC look like a dump. Compare the Boise River Parkway to the Jordan River Parkway. Boise has a vibrant organic downtown, a real bike culture, real beer and I'll also add that Boise is a larger city by population. Lower elevation, less inversion days. A lot to like and not a lot to dislike in Boise.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 5:37 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
Beautiful pictures. I love Boise. I've visited numerous times and never cease to be impressed. Seriously, Boise makes SLC look like a dump. Compare the Boise River Parkway to the Jordan River Parkway. Boise has a vibrant organic downtown, a real bike culture, real beer and I'll also add that Boise is a larger city by population. Lower elevation, less inversion days. A lot to like and not a lot to dislike in Boise.
The Boise River Greenbelt is pretty incredible in the fact that everything came together like it did during the early years of the city obtaining private property along the river to make the greenbelt what it is today. The beer scene is on fire and there has been a lot of new local breweries opening up this year. There is a non official Greenbelt/Beer/Cycle tour that I and a few friends like to do once in a while. Bike a few miles along the greenbelt, stop at a riverside pub or restaurant, drink a beer, and cycle to the next one and so on. My suggestion is to begin at Ben's Crow Inn out on Warm Springs and cycle into town instead of the other way around.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 5:45 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

October 28

gone forever

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:06 AM

Looks like it was another beautiful day in Boise yesterday. Beautiful Camel's back pics. I can see the rooftop of my house in one of those pictures. Wish I could see it in person. Thanks for getting me close.

Last edited by FutureNorthEnder; Oct 30, 2014 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:59 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Looks like it was another beautiful day in Boise yesterday. Beautiful Camel's back pics. I can the rooftop of my house in one of those pictures. Wish I could see it in person. Thanks for getting me close.
Thanks and you're welcome FutureNorthEnder!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:05 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

October 30

boo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West