HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 10:19 PM
鈾廠eanTheBoiSean

Halloween

Fort Boise Cemetery, Military Reserve ~ above The Black Forest

I have to admit I've never been up there at night but I have heard from friends who have been there at night and they claim they heard voices and screams yet I remain skeptical.

Ironically I found this little specimen hidden in a tuft of green grass by the creek along the trail below the cemetery.

Quote:
https://localwiki.org/boise/Fort_Boi...itary_Cemetery

The Fort Boise Cemetery was originally located at the Boise Barracks and relocated to the Foot Hills location after flooding in the year of 1906. The original location was only a half mile south from the current location but the flood caused damages to and erosion to the graves. 166 graves in total were moved until more graves were found during target practice at the Barracks. Military business in the area stopped until the remaining graves were disinterred and moved to the current location. There were additional burials taking place at the new location until 1913, the year the Barracks closed. Three more bodies were buried as soldiers in the new location in 1998 after they were discovered during flood control excavation near the location of the original cemetery site. The three bodies were buried on Memorial Day in 1998 and are thought to be Civil War Veterans.1

After World War II the Department of Veterans Affairs closed down some of their smaller cemeteries due to funding issues, however the Fort Boise Cemetery was saved due to request of the U.S. Department of the Army. Finally in 1974 The City of Boise received the deed to the location under the condition that the location would become a historic site. The site had to be kept in natural state and keep the look similar to how it appeared at the turn of the century.1
Quote:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/0...tery.html?rh=1

The cemetery has been on the hillside above Boise since 1906, when the U.S. Army relocated it from its original site about a half-mile down Mountain Cove Road.

Burials began at the original location in 1863, the year Fort Boise opened, said Ken Swanson, executive director of the Idaho Military History Museum. It was a military cemetery but civilians - men and women who died traveling the Oregon Trail, for example - are buried there, too.

Floods were always a concern. A particularly bad flash flood from Cottonwood Creek in 1906 inspired officers at the fort (called Boise Barracks at the time) to hire contractors to relocate the cemetery to higher ground.

The job was supposed to take one year, said Swanson. It took three because no one knew the full extent of burials. Wooden headstones had been lost through the years, making identification a challenge. In the end, the workers moved 166 graves.

The Boise Barracks closed in 1913, and burials stopped.

Today, 247 enlisted men, officers, their family members and civilians are buried at the cemetery. The military personnel includes veterans from the Mexican War (1846-1848), Indian Wars (late 1860s through 1870s in Idaho), Spanish-American War (1898) and the Civil War (1861-1865).

Here is a link to a YouTube video filmed in the cemetery I found online while searching for information on this place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjcK7hiWkkY

Finally, my photos taken this afternoon. Maybe I've been followed home

I am not sure what this rock design means.

Looking down towards town and The Owyhee Mountains which have their own haunted legends.

Last edited by Sawtooth; Oct 31, 2014 at 11:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 4:01 AM
鈾廠eanTheBoiSean

Kathryn Albertson Park

Boise River Greenbelt, Veterans State Park

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 5:57 AM

Sawtooth, your Halloween graveyard shots are great! I especially love the spooky tree picture. Nice golden trees in your most recent post, too.

Last edited by FutureNorthEnder; Nov 7, 2014 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 3:34 AM
鈾廠eanTheBoiSean

The full Moon in Taurus

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
Beautiful pictures. I love Boise. I've visited numerous times and never cease to be impressed. Seriously, Boise makes SLC look like a dump. Compare the Boise River Parkway to the Jordan River Parkway. Boise has a vibrant organic downtown, a real bike culture, real beer and I'll also add that Boise is a larger city by population. Lower elevation, less inversion days. A lot to like and not a lot to dislike in Boise.
Another Salt Laker here who loves Boise. I think a lot of people from SLC who have never been to Boise would be impressed, maybe envious of their bike culture and walkable downtown and the river and breweries. I wish 9th and 9th was as cool and hip as Hyde Park is.

Sawtooth, amazing photos!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 11:22 PM
鈾廠eanTheBoiSean

November 8 and Autumn continues. Here are some photos I shot today which was another warm Saturday.

Julia Davis Park

A few blocks from the river heading into downtown.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 5:00 AM

Great thread Sawtooth. I can't wait to get over there for the Utah State game in two weeks.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 7:33 PM
鈾廠eanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidaho View Post
Great thread Sawtooth. I can't wait to get over there for the Utah State game in two weeks.
Thanks eastidaho. If you are lucky we will still have snow in a few weeks.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 7:46 PM
鈾廠eanTheBoiSean

November 15

White Beauty

10 degrees with remnants of the morning foggy haze lifting above the Boise Mountains.

I am going to attempt posting my photo thread over in the city photo forum during the upcoming week. I will be using a few photos from this thread, but I've been saving the best for my other thread.

Last edited by Sawtooth; Nov 15, 2014 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 3:37 AM

Wow! Looking forward to your official thread if this is not your best work!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 5:44 PM

Well done. Winter came fast this year. I look back at your photos posted last month and look out my window and yeah. Beautiful.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 2:20 AM
鈾廠eanTheBoiSean

I am slowly working on it FutureNorthEnder. Whenever I am sorting through photos to create a thread I quickly remember how much time it takes.

Here is a detour out of the city into a magical and remote area of the Boise Metro, Jump Creek Canyon & Falls. I shot these last month. Is it un-pc to refer to taking a photo as shooting it?

It had rained the day before and there was fog in the canyon and was burning off when I arrived there. The entire Sunnyslope area was covered in a damp fog.

Last edited by Sawtooth; Nov 21, 2014 at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
Beautiful pictures. I love Boise. I've visited numerous times and never cease to be impressed. Seriously, Boise makes SLC look like a dump. Compare the Boise River Parkway to the Jordan River Parkway. Boise has a vibrant organic downtown, a real bike culture, real beer and I'll also add that Boise is a larger city by population. Lower elevation, less inversion days. A lot to like and not a lot to dislike in Boise.

Sawtooth! Those are some incredibly beautiful photos of the Boise Mountains covered in snow and of Jump Creek. It has been years since I have been to that canyon, thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 9:52 PM
鈾廠eanTheBoiSean

Hulls Gulch Reserve

Veterans State Park ~ Boise Cascade Lake

Barber Pool

I'm still working -slowly- on my city photo thread.

Last edited by Sawtooth; Dec 5, 2014 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 6:18 AM
鈾廠eanTheBoiSean

I am pretty sure I finished taking photos this weekend for the thread I keep referring to

This view is approximately 3000 feet above Boise along Bogus Basin Road. The mysterious Owyhee's are blending in with the lifting fog and clouds.

Yesterday

Spring 2014

Bogus Basin Road, yesterday

One of these photographs is not like the others.

Last edited by Sawtooth; Dec 8, 2014 at 6:40 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 5:01 AM

I await your thread with bated breath!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 3:28 PM

Again, thanks for your photos Sawtooth. Boise is beautiful and situated in one of the most unique and picturesque landscapes in the mountain west.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaBoi View Post
Again, thanks for your photos Sawtooth. Boise is beautiful and situated in one of the most unique and picturesque landscapes in the mountain west.
So true IdaBoi! Boise is definitely a crown jewel of the Mountain west. Please do whatever you can to post more unique and awe inspiring photos like the ones that are above Sawtooth. They are just so awe-Inspiring!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 7:42 AM
鈾廠eanTheBoiSean

Julia Davis Park. October

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:55 PM

This has been a majestic thread Sawtooth. Just want to thank you for sharing your talent and obvious love for Boise here for all of us.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West