HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 5:25 PM
Top Retributor

Even the City's own Planning Department's web site acknowledges the potential problem you're talking about.
Quote:
Current high rise tower proposals may result in a "table-topping" effect on the area’s rapidly evolving skyline with uniform heights of tall buildings and little transition to adjacent areas.
And they go on to make "Urban Form Recommendations"
Quote:
The project will re-examine and may propose changes to existing height limits on certain parcels. The project will evaluate how adjustments to height limits can ensure that the skyline is more pleasingly sculpted to enhance the overall urban form of the city, while being mindful of key neighborhood quality-of-life considerations such as sunlight and pedestrian quality.
I think once the current crop of towers go up and the public gets used to that area being a real high-rise district (as opposed to a low-rise area with a few scattered towers) then well see a push to go higher.

Re. the wind issue. Does anyone know why the wind is a such a bitch at that particular intersection?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Re. the wind issue. Does anyone know why the wind is a such a bitch at that particular intersection?
It's not just the intersection. It's all along Van Ness as far as where the street starts to rise around Turk. It seems as if Twin Peaks/Mt. Davidson (and secondarily the hill on which Buena Vista Park sits) blocks the wind and shunts it aside so that it blows down the streets from Haight to Turk/Balboa which seems to be the low point in the central spine of the city.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 6:08 AM
dazzle me

^ i'm not sure that's true. the wind at van ness/market seems to gust down from above, so it could be winds hitting each other from different directions and then striking buildings. the worst wind is larkin and golden gate, which is oddly where they put in the PUC building with the wind capture that doesn't work.

anyway, i have like dozens of photos of new/recent/UC developments in the polk gulch/TL/fidi areas (basically, where i never leave, please shoot me). can someone tell me what we're using these days that's fastest to UL? running android.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 4:29 PM
Build Baby Build

https://imgur.com/ is the fastest by far, free, and you can auto generate links for BB code. Highly recommended.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
^ i'm not sure that's true. the wind at van ness/market seems to gust down from above, so it could be winds hitting each other from different directions and then striking buildings. the worst wind is larkin and golden gate, which is oddly where they put in the PUC building with the wind capture that doesn't work.

anyway, i have like dozens of photos of new/recent/UC developments in the polk gulch/TL/fidi areas (basically, where i never leave, please shoot me). can someone tell me what we're using these days that's fastest to UL? running android.
It does "gust down from above"--after hitting buildings like 100 Van Ness and the Burton Federal Building (which gets credit for the situation at Larkin/Golden Gate although IMHO Polk/Turk and Golden Gate/Turk are worse. The feature on the PUC building appears to me to work fine--I walk by there every day. The "fluttery" wind sculpture is interesting (I see a lot of tourist types pointing at it) and the turbines behind are often turning slowly as I think they are meant to). But this is my neighborhood and since my windows face west I can assure you there's a constant blow down these east/west streets. On warm days I'm kind of greatful for it. The rest of the time I keep the windows shut.

For posting photos, my new "go-to" is Flikr by far. Very fast upload.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 8:05 PM

NOTICE: I don't know who or how to comment about a problem with this forum. The rendering is not correct when I write a message - there is no choice to format the text. Also the page numbering is odd.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals