HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Ancora has liner townhouses... if those aren't selling very well, they might have moved up another apartment or condo tower to start first.
Are they actually selling anything? The website still has nothing but a "sign up for more information" page. I've signed up multiple times and haven't even received an acknowledgement.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:36 AM
atomic

If I had to guess, they’ll probably wait to sell townhouses (or even finish them from raw) until the first landscaping package is done. If you’re selling park and river views, I don’t think buyers will be happy to have to look out on a dusty lot for another two years after they close.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 3:14 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
If I had to guess, they’ll probably wait to sell townhouses (or even finish them from raw) until the first landscaping package is done. If you’re selling park and river views, I don’t think buyers will be happy to have to look out on a dusty lot for another two years after they close.
Agree. From a business standpoint the housing market has been on the rebound for a while and I think it makes sense to sell townhomes until the rental market absorbs some of this excess inventory.

I would wait a full year before starting another rental tower.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:20 AM
Illustrator

Jan 19th

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodoo25 View Post
Jan 19th

Did you happen to go by the Willis tower, is there anything going on there with the new lobby construction?

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:18 PM

^ I was there yesterday. The old plaza is entirely fenced off. Substantial work has begun.

Old Posted Today, 12:18 AM

[QUOTE=SolarWind;8028371]November 22, 2017

This picture nicely puts into perspective how insignificant the scale of this project is in relation to the skyline and how little impact it will have. The tallest tower in the development will extend about as high as CNA or the brown building directly to the west correct? It's a shame, it should be book-ended by 900'+ towers. You can pretty much use the existing background buildings that span the distance of Riverline and easily imagine what the finished project will look like from a height aspect. Very underwhelming. I know the density and street experience hounds will be on the attack for my audacity in believing this development is a complete waste of prime real estate. 3-flats fronting the river? Unbelievable.

Old Posted Today, 12:45 AM
Development Shill

We don't have Hudson Yards sort of development cash here so your wish is kind of pointless. Nothing would be built there for another 10 years at the least if you wanted a project of that magnitude. To me this project is important for the skyline because it "beefens" up the Printer's Row part of the skyline which currently is quite thin. Does it go for height? No, but there will be plenty of opportunities down the line for people to go for height in the South Loop area.

Old Posted Today, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly View Post
this development is a complete waste of prime real estate.
So 'prime' it had been a garbage strewn field for 30+ years.

Old Posted Today, 1:19 AM

Well actually, IF Chicago were to land Amazon and it happened to go at a site like Old Post Office or even the Reese site (this is more of a stretch to my point though), then the Related plot probably becomes more of a reality and my guess is that Riverline will probably rest a bit easier. This thing is basically right across the river/bridge from OPO. The middle of Riverline is less than a half mile from the southern part of OPO - 7-10 minute walk for most people, maybe at most 15 for some others. The building being built right now there is a little more, so 10-15 minutes which is a very doable walk.

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Today, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
So 'prime' it had been a garbage strewn field for 30+ years.
So because it was neglected and underutilized it disqualifies the land from being a prime location? Riverfront property in the Loop isn't prime? lmao

Old Posted Today, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
We don't have Hudson Yards sort of development cash here so your wish is kind of pointless. Nothing would be built there for another 10 years at the least if you wanted a project of that magnitude. To me this project is important for the skyline because it "beefens" up the Printer's Row part of the skyline which currently is quite thin. Does it go for height? No, but there will be plenty of opportunities down the line for people to go for height in the South Loop area.

Who mentioned Hudson Yards? A couple 800'-1000' buildings to raise the profile and impact on the skyline isn't realistic? If a developer is that cash strapped perhaps they shouldn't embark on a development of this magnitude or partner with more ambitious and financially viable developers.

I remember when Chicago forumers had lofty expectations and standards. Some people will excuse any bland project with unlimited excuses of why Chicago can't possibly undertake a more significant venture than what was proposed. We aren't Cleveland. Chicago has a plethora of wealthy investors looking to introduce and build mega projects throughout the city. Lakeshore East would never exist if the conditions were as dire as some people portray. There are many signature towers under construction and currently proposed that beg to differ with the sentiments that the city is somehow desperate for anything it can get and the people should just accept this reality and live with the "it beats a parking lot" mentality.

Old Posted Today, 5:13 AM
The City

Quote:
Who mentioned Hudson Yards? A couple 800'-1000' buildings to raise the profile and impact on the skyline isn't realistic? If a developer is that cash strapped perhaps they shouldn't embark on a development of this magnitude or partner with more ambitious and financially viable developers.

I remember when Chicago forumers had lofty expectations and standards. Some people will excuse any bland project with unlimited excuses of why Chicago can't possibly undertake a more significant venture than what was proposed. We aren't Cleveland. Chicago has a plethora of wealthy investors looking to introduce and build mega projects throughout the city. Lakeshore East would never exist if the conditions were as dire as some people portray. There are many signature towers under construction and currently proposed that beg to differ with the sentiments that the city is somehow desperate for anything it can get and the people should just accept this reality and live with the "it beats a parking lot" mentality.
So your issue is about height. That's not a very good indicator of greatness.

I care more about design, and integration with the surroundings, and actual density. And in those regards it's an okay development, but mostly just filler. It will add boots on the pavement, shoppers to the stores, tax dollars to the coffers. So what? It's what constitutes great city-building in the old style of building great cities...where not everybody is trying to create a signature "look at me" project.

But the biggest problem I have with your post is your perception of scale. Sears Tower and that other big one make everything in that picture look puny. Those are the outliers. The towers in this project are more typical in height for the surroundings. Last I checked, 900+ footers are still outliers in Chicago. They only appear here and there in the skyline.
Gentrification is the work of God. If you have a problem with that, well then—sorry. But you will fail trying to fight it. Gentrification will win. Development will win. But that doesn’t make you a loser. Your job is to colonize new areas, and open them up to future gentrification!

Old Posted Today, 6:23 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
We aren't Cleveland. Chicago has a plethora of wealthy investors looking to introduce and build mega projects throughout the city...
Well, it's too bad those investors didn't hear about Riverline, they should've had their ears perked /s. Although given the 78's announcement, they could move the goalposts if warranted. Anyway, I didn't know the layman, or the city as a personified entity decided what's worth risking an investment in.

Your lament seems to be more apt 25 years from now, except that projects like these that improve the land/redevelopment value of nearby parcels are exactly why we might "regret" not doing something bigger closer to the Loop in retrospect. It's sequential. Maybe splitting up rights would have improved density, but you seem to be implying anything deserving of a supertall in a vacuum should get one, when there are actually others dumping units onto the market. It's supply and demand, and demand isn't infinite.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction