HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:58 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Anyone know what is going on with the lot on the corner of 600 s. and 300 e? Old building has been completely torn down.
New Salt Lake County Health building
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 7:01 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,108
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 7:43 PM
Liberty Wellsian Liberty Wellsian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
I agree with what you say most of the time, but yikes, this is incredibly tone deaf. The Hogle Zoo is an amazing zoo for SLC, and is one of 10% of zoos in the USA associated with the AZA that places strict requirements on animal health, breeding / genetic diversity, types of exhibits, environments, etc. Long story short, Hogle Zoo is held to an incredibly high standard and I don't think that moving the zoo would help.

I'm not sure if you knew this, but since the zoo is tax funded, every exhibit at the zoo has to be approved by voters. I think a lot of people like the current location and wouldn't want to move it to a "family unfriendly" part of downtown.

Can I just ask what you meant by saying that human health is more important than animal health? How is keeping the zoo by the mouth of the canyon unhealthy for people? Is it because they can't ride the bus to the zoo the one time they go each year? Is keeping animals next to a noisy, tree-less, blighted environment somehow healthier for humans either? This makes absolutely no sense to me. We aren't prioritizing the health of the animals over "people", but its not like the Hogle Zoo is a superfund site. + I don't think many people would want to go to a zoo full of sick animals and no old growth vegetation.

Lastly, I don't think you considered that the zoo would have to be quartered by 7th south and 5th west. I'm opposed to removing streets, and I can't imagine what a nightmare it would be for Hogle Zoo to manage pedestrian safety / ticketing, especially if each part of the zoo has to be blocked off. You could do roads like the kind that crisscross Balboa Park in San Diego, but even then, everything there is undivided by the roads - there aren't continuous institutions that are bisected by roads, only the park itself.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't make any sense. This is a horrible idea. The Hogle Zoo is a great zoo in an (environmentally) amazing location. The fact that you want to move it to what is essentially prime development for the granary district in order to put in "east bench housing"... makes me sad.
What I meant is that we have no problem with people living near our highways. Why should we put such a high value on the longterm health of animals but not people?


I meant remove 500 w and 700 South within it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Sure, 2%. Golf is an example of a sport that requires a lot of money to invest in equipment, fees, etc. - like Polo, Sailing, car racing, etc. - this alone leads many people to shy away from golfing. Its very much a "1%" sport.

I would be okay with large swaths of land being used up for golf, but the problem is that

1. we can't afford to water golf courses

2. if 170 acres of land in the east bench are accessible only to people who are there to pay to play golf, then I'm not okay with it. Its open space, but its not being preserved as a natural gem or a park. Therefore, it isn't really public land, and that's why I'm not okay with the large amount of land golf has swallowed up in SLC - especially when SLC has a lower area of parks per capita than other large cities. You shouldn't have to pay to get into a park. Golfing is entirely suited to suburban settings, not the east bench.
Actually it is public land if I recall correctly they pay a payment in lieu of taxes. Is Zion's National Park not public land because you have to pay to get in? How about American Fork Canyon? Or the Hogle zoo? Further that course in particular I do know is used in the winter time by people who enjoy cross country skiing. As well as increasingly rare Valley habitat that again gets used in the winter time for terrestrial creatures and during the spring for birds.

As far as being 1% that's not true of public courses. It's true of country clubs but not public courses. My father and my younger brother both golf, I do not. They golf at public courses that they can afford because one is on Social Security and the other is a high-school teacher.

Green fees fund the course. This is something that you don't get at a park. The truth is the city can't afford to turn all of these lands into parks. Salt Lake City has some courses that aren't pulling their weight anymore because fewer people are golfing and those will need to be sold.

The Glendale Golf Course that they were considering removing would have cost the city ten years of the entire budget for golf courses just to repurpose it. That doesn't include having to maintain and police that land with zero income.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 8:26 PM
ThePusherMan's Avatar
ThePusherMan ThePusherMan is offline
One Thing At A Time
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Super stoked on the 600 Lofts. It makes 600 south feel more like downtown. After those tech offices get built it will be even better! Someone just needs to blow up those dealerships and we will be all set
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 9:19 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 8,608
600 Lofts is nice but I wish there was more street engagement.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 9:34 PM
bob rulz bob rulz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Salt Lake, UT
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
What I meant is that we have no problem with people living near our highways. Why should we put such a high value on the longterm health of animals but not people?
Because those people have the free will to choose to live there, while the animals do not?

Moving the zoo is a bad idea for multiple reasons, not the least of which is the entirely unnecessary expense of moving it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 12:28 AM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 317
While maybe the Zoo isn't all that feasible, I like where your heads at. Salt Lake needs some sort of attraction downtown other then a shopping center or mall. I don't think we will ever get the same kind of night life and vibe as some of our larger neighbors like Denver and definitely not Vegas but I think we can create our own identity and build on the recreation theme of the State by building a world class Gym/recreation center in the downtown area. At one point envision Utah had it as a bullet point in its vision and I think now would be an excellent time to move on a project like that. I could see the LDS church playing a role.
And when I say gym, I don't mean just some equipment and a work out area. I'm talking a mix of indoor and outdoor activities possibly mixed with some large open green space areas or at least adjacent to some existing green space. If you could show the big 5 national parks and a world class gym/recreation center on a national advertisement campaign I think it could generate some buzz even nationally and give outsiders a different perspective of our unique little city. i think a project like this would do wonders in drawing people downtown, especially the younger crowd.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 12:32 AM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Sure, 2%. Golf is an example of a sport that requires a lot of money to invest in equipment, fees, etc. - like Polo, Sailing, car racing, etc. - this alone leads many people to shy away from golfing. Its very much a "1%" sport.

I would be okay with large swaths of land being used up for golf, but the problem is that

1. we can't afford to water golf courses

2. if 170 acres of land in the east bench are accessible only to people who are there to pay to play golf, then I'm not okay with it. Its open space, but its not being preserved as a natural gem or a park. Therefore, it isn't really public land, and that's why I'm not okay with the large amount of land golf has swallowed up in SLC - especially when SLC has a lower area of parks per capita than other large cities. You shouldn't have to pay to get into a park. Golfing is entirely suited to suburban settings, not the east bench.
Half of my Instagram feed is filled with people at TopGolf in Midvale. That style of golf seems to be really appealing to a lot of different crowds.

And totally agree with you Utah_Dave^. Too many attractions in SLC seem to get built in the foothills. The zoo. The Natural History Museum. The Musuem of Fine Art (U of U). They even put huge hospitals up there on the mountain for some reason. Would love to see more of those things get built downtown, or even placed in the city's more urban parks.
__________________
Instagram | Twitter

www.UtahProjects.info
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 12:47 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
What I meant is that we have no problem with people living near our highways. Why should we put such a high value on the longterm health of animals but not people? ...
We shouldn't allow people to live within 500 feet of freeways. Land within 500 feet of freeways ought to be reserved for office and other similar uses, with requirements that buildings built within 500 feet have high-end HEPA filtration systems. That is at least until a significant percentage of our fleet is converted to electric and other non-polluting engine types.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 12:56 AM
Liberty Wellsian Liberty Wellsian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Because those people have the free will to choose to live there, while the animals do not?

Moving the zoo is a bad idea for multiple reasons, not the least of which is the entirely unnecessary expense of moving it.
I expected the objection contained in your final line, or that the land would be better used for a different purpose. That me very well be and probably is true. It is a completely rational objection. The rest of what you and others have said, namely the animal health stuff, is non thinking 100% disconnected from reality garbage.

Children certainly do not have the choice about where they live. The adults that live near major highways don't have a real choice they live there out of economic necessity. No one ever turned to their realtor and said " you didn't tell me there was a freeway in the backyard, I would be willing to pay extra for that!". Having an objection to zoo animals living near a freeway is ridiculous so long as you are ok with people, including children, living there.

These animals live in cages for their whole lives. The animals at Hogle Zoo are not there to protect endangered species or for their welfare. They are there for your convenient viewing pleasure. They live their whole lives in cages to make you happy. No b******* accreditation in the world is going to change that fact.

Further unless you are a vegan and for closing all zoos then I really don't want to hear about the asthma or cancer risks of caged animals. Every week you walk into a grocery store with an entire wall of literally butchered animal body parts for sale. Until that starts to bother you shut the f*** up.

For the record it doesn't bother me but then again I'm not deluding myself. I admit to what it is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 1:18 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 8,608
Years ago, there were talks of moving the zoo to two locations - Wheeler Farm and a site in WVC by the Jordan River. The County REALLY pushed the move, and it looked very possible in the early 00s, despite the city actually owning it.

IF it were to move, that's where it'd go. To another city in the valley. Just as it's been for a lot of solid Salt Lake attractions, it would abandon the city and relocate down south. I'll pass. Keep the zoo where it is. If it were to move, Salt Lake would lose it. I almost guarantee it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 3:18 AM
Liberty Wellsian Liberty Wellsian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
While maybe the Zoo isn't all that feasible, I like where your heads at. Salt Lake needs some sort of attraction downtown other then a shopping center or mall. I don't think we will ever get the same kind of night life and vibe as some of our larger neighbors like Denver and definitely not Vegas but I think we can create our own identity and build on the recreation theme of the State by building a world class Gym/recreation center in the downtown area. At one point envision Utah had it as a bullet point in its vision and I think now would be an excellent time to move on a project like that. I could see the LDS church playing a role.
And when I say gym, I don't mean just some equipment and a work out area. I'm talking a mix of indoor and outdoor activities possibly mixed with some large open green space areas or at least adjacent to some existing green space. If you could show the big 5 national parks and a world class gym/recreation center on a national advertisement campaign I think it could generate some buzz even nationally and give outsiders a different perspective of our unique little city. i think a project like this would do wonders in drawing people downtown, especially the younger crowd.
Maybe we should use City Creek Water to build a small Reservoir in the empty lot on North Temple. We could also build a rock climbing wall out of actual stone put a bit of the canyon right downtown . Throw our own damn outdoor retailers. I'll bet our legislature would fund it. They would love nothing more than to stick it to outdoor retailer for telling them what to think.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 3:30 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Years ago, there were talks of moving the zoo to two locations - Wheeler Farm and a site in WVC by the Jordan River. The County REALLY pushed the move, and it looked very possible in the early 00s, despite the city actually owning it.

IF it were to move, that's where it'd go. To another city in the valley. Just as it's been for a lot of solid Salt Lake attractions, it would abandon the city and relocate down south. I'll pass. Keep the zoo where it is. If it were to move, Salt Lake would lose it. I almost guarantee it.
There was also discussion of moving it to "This Is The Place" State Park.

I would love to see this happen. Bonneville Park would be about the same size as Sugar House Park.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 3:59 AM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
We shouldn't allow people to live within 500 feet of freeways. Land within 500 feet of freeways ought to be reserved for office and other similar uses, with requirements that buildings built within 500 feet have high-end HEPA filtration systems. That is at least until a significant percentage of our fleet is converted to electric and other non-polluting engine types.
There's a house next to a small overpass on I-15 in Murray... I swear that the back door literally opens out into a hill, and then 6 feet away, the busiest freeway in Utah. What a horrible place to live
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 4:01 AM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
There was also discussion of moving it to "This Is The Place" State Park.

I would love to see this happen. Bonneville Park would be about the same size as Sugar House Park.

I like that plan but maybe the residential and park should "switch sides" so the residential is on Wasatch Drive? Foothill can't afford another signal and that specific section is super loud.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 5:53 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
I like that plan but maybe the residential and park should "switch sides" so the residential is on Wasatch Drive? Foothill can't afford another signal and that specific section is super loud.
Foothill wouldn't need another signal if you put the entrance to the residential at the 2100 E intersection. Also, I would make the residential high density.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 11:31 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,527
Isaac, Do we have a rendering of this development?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post

The Block 44 Apartments, a 214-unit development on the 400 300 East block of 400 South, is built up to the podium level. Photo by Isaac Riddle.



.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 11:39 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,527
^^^
Oh okay, Never mind, I remember now...



.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 1:13 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
^^^
Oh okay, Never mind, I remember now...



.
6 and 7 stories. Nice
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 4:30 PM
JMK JMK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 378
a larger rendering

Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.