HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 1:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This made me tear up lol. I don't even have any personal connection with autism but that LARPing documentary made me tear up too.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 5:52 AM

they be crazy

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 4:09 PM
The New Republic

She skipped the line so she could get in quicker? How crass. I guess her parents never taught her any manners. She's not even embarrassed that she did it.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 3:29 AM

apparently 3 days later people are still lining up for hours for Jollibee. Thats nuts. fast food spaghetti and rice.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 3:35 AM

I've never been a fan, they should have stuck to the basics, they are tryong to hard and failing to offer everything under the sun.

Double double trouble? Tim Hortons plummets in ranking of Canadian brands

Coffee chain falls to 50th from 4th on annual ranking of brand reputation

Pete Evans · CBC News · Posted: Apr 05, 2018 1:12 PM ET | Last Updated: 7 hours ago

Tim Hortons has plunged on an annual ranking of brand reputation by research firm Leger. (Ben Nelms/Bloomberg)

A public spat with some of its franchisees and outrage over its response to minimum wage hikes seems to have made a dent in Canadians' much-publicized love for Tim Hortons this year, as the iconic coffee and doughnut chain has plummeted on an annual ranking of brands by market research firm Leger.

Every year, Leger tabulates information on the reputations of various brands that operate in Canada, and tabulates what consumers think of them. This year, between Dec. 19 and Jan. 29, the company surveyed approximately 2,100 English- and French-speaking Canadians, aged 18 or older, for their views on 241 different brands that operate across the country.

One of the biggest surprises in the ranking was the changing fortunes of Tim Hortons. The chain was ranked fourth overall in 2016, but for this year's ranking it plunged all the way to 50th.

The company openly squabbled with some of its franchisees for much of 2017 over cutbacks and other cost increases, something which has clearly started to influence its customer loyalty.

But another major factor seems to have been the story first reported by CBC News that some owners were cutting back on employee hours and other benefits in response to hikes in the minimum wage.

"Tim Hortons, a perennial top five brand that we've previously believed impervious to issue, has fallen mightily in the court of public opinion," said Rick Murray, managing partner and chief digital strategist with public relations firm National, which also worked on the ranking.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tim-...p=FB_Post_News

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 10:00 AM

Well, Canadians had to figure out it was a heartless massive corporation at some time.

Between the pre-baked donuts (made fresh in Brantford!), terrible coffee, foreign ownership and PR blunders, I'm surprised it has taken this long.

Tim Hortons hasn't been the 'Canadian underdog success story' for awhile. It's just another fast-food place. That won't be fatal to it, look at how successful McDonalds is still, despite being probably the most demonized in the world.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 9:56 PM

Who’s ready for a movie about Ontario’s favourite sweet heart rob ford

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...mpression=true
"On the surface, the Parasite expects the doctor to heal them for free, the farmer to feed them out of charity. How little they differ from the pervert who prowls the streets, looking for a victim he can ravish for his grotesque amusement."

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 1:04 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So, I - like all Newfoundlanders and Labradorians - grew up with this:

Video Link

It's one of the countless strange Newfoundland Television shows, which ran for hours and hours straight - rambling, nonsensical - after prime time. I always assumed it was just because the owner, Geoff Sterling, was an eccentric. There are countless stories - such as him randomly changing what shows were airing based on what his children wanted to watch.

I knew he was anti-Confederate and campaigned for our joining the United States during the national debates of the 1940s.

What I didn't know is that NTV was a conscious response to that loss. He aired American programming, and is a big part of the reason Canada ever passed laws requiring a certain amount of Canadian content (similar to our outsized impact on scrapping Meech Lake).

All of these weird shows were his "fuck you" response - he made them solely because they would qualify as Canadian content, aired them after prime time and overnight, and voila.

Anyhow, stumbled upon a hint of that reason through this article earlier today, which is a fantastic transcript of a conversation between various young Newfoundlanders and CFAs about the province's future (it always amazes me how homogeneous we are, how many of the points in articles like this are the same ones I make on SSP):

Really interesting cross-section of people.

http://thedeepmag.ca/therockinahardplace/

And did some further research. Anyhow, the relevant bit from the above:

So one of the acid trip oddities from my childhood was the result of anti-Confederation bias. I am amused.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 1:18 AM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

It's great that stuff like that still exists. The world is already too homogenized as it is.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 11:46 PM

The Ontario government just announced the address of Kingston's first legal pot dispensary. It's in a strip mall, exactly in between Five Guys and Mucho Burrito. Those business owners are probably dancing in the streets

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:26 AM

$1.65B underwater rail link between Newfoundland and Labrador could work, study finds

Pre-feasibility study results announced in St. John's

CBC News · Posted: Apr 11, 2018

This map shows the location of a potential underwater rail link between Newfoundland and Labrador. (Hatch)

171 comments
A government study into the feasibility of a permanent link between Newfoundland and Labrador is recommending an undersea rail tunnel at a cost of $1.65 billion.

Such a tunnel would take 15 years to complete, Premier Dwight Ball told a news conference Wednesday in St. John's.

A fixed link tunnel between the two parts of the province has the potential to be a "nation-building project," said Ball, comparing it to the Confederation Bridge that connects Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick.

"Making a fixed link could truly change the landscape and unify our country," Ball said.

The findings came from a government pre-feasibility study into a fixed link for travel between the island and mainland parts of the province.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ults-1.4614188

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
$1.65B underwater rail link between Newfoundland and Labrador could work, study finds

Pre-feasibility study results announced in St. John's

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ults-1.4614188
Yes, this is what Newfoundland needs. Another expensive project with minimal benefits. The routing is so out of the way that it makes ferry service look fast by comparison.

The cost is likely half of the true cost, given construction inflation and the challenges involved.

This has 'bad idea' written all over it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Yes, this is what Newfoundland needs. Another expensive project with minimal benefits. The routing is so out of the way that it makes ferry service look fast by comparison.

The cost is likely half of the true cost, given construction inflation and the challenges involved.

This has 'bad idea' written all over it.
I don't know, the idea of a multi-billion dollar tunnel connecting Back of Beyond to Beyond Back of Beyond has a certain quixotic charm.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, people are very divided. Labrador and West Coast want it. Coverage even included their suggestion it could cause such an economic boom there that the capital may move to Corner Brook.

I'm indifferent if it is indeed nation-building and paid for by someone else.

In terms of usefulness - you might be surprised. If Quebec completes its highway to Blanc Sablon, this new route is only 100 km longer from Montreal to St. John's than the current one through the Maritimes. And it eliminates the 7-hour ferry. Only a small portion of our imports are actually from the Maritimes. Most comes via Montreal. Every single tractor trailer would use this new route - they would save time and eliminate the days-long delays (and associated spoilage of produce, etc.) Marine Atlantic experiences.

But to actually drive it as a tourist?

This guy sums it up:

Video Link

That exasperated "An' who lives up d'er!?" Is the perfect summary of the capital's stereotypical view of the rest lol

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Apr 12, 2018 at 1:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:25 PM
sick transit, gloria

I can't see how that could possibly cost only $1.65B. Even twice that seems too low.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

In terms of usefulness - you might be surprised. If Quebec completes its highway to Blanc Sablon, this new route is only 100 km longer from Montreal to St. John's than the current one through the Maritimes. And it eliminates the 7-hour ferry. Only a small portion of our imports are actually from the Maritimes. Most comes via Montreal. Every single tractor trailer would use this new route - they would save time and eliminate the days-long delays (and associated spoilage of produce, etc.) Marine Atlantic experiences.
You guys should know better than to depend on Quebec.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:51 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I can't see how that could possibly cost only $1.65B. Even twice that seems too low.
Agreed 100%. In Manitoba there are single hydroelectric dams with estimated pricetags north of $10 billion being built in similar rugged and isolated northern locales. I don't see how on earth you could ever hope to get a tunnel like that built for $1.65 billion. The money would run out before the tunnel even got under water.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:13 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah, people are very divided. Labrador and West Coast want it. Coverage even included their suggestion it could cause such an economic boom there that the capital may move to Corner Brook.

That exasperated "An' who lives up d'er!?" Is the perfect summary of the capital's stereotypical view of the rest lol
It could certainly do wonders for the quality and cost of produce in NL. In that respect it probably pays for itself in the economic benefits over the years.

But I'd be leary of the cost as well. It's close to 15km of distance. The Chunnel was 20ish water distance and that ended up being 9 billion pounds. Now, this is probably going to be way less elegant with obviously no train service and such so half the costs, but I'd say it's still 8 billion dollars if its a penny.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So, this bar is owned by the hottest guy I've ever seen in person (not pictured). And the advertising they do on Facebook cracks me up. I can't tell if it's a tapas bar or a brothel. It makes me, and I'm sure a lot of us average folks, half afraid to go in there lol.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:12 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Enticing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada