HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 5:24 AM
Species: Homo Hamiltonus

Sorry but this really has NOTHING to do with the Ticats. Aside from player facilities at THF they've contributed bupkis to the stadium. And now this CFHOF announcement comes along, but it has little to do with them aside from their cheerleading. They may ultimately be the reason investment in this stadium was made, but they don't own it and they don't control how it's used outside of gameday.

I'm a Ticats fan and long-time season ticket holder, but my beef is their focus on the gravy without contributing to the meat.

I'd prefer to see the city combine the Hall of Fame with a city museum (which has been in the news lately as a discussion item)... and there is a prime building option right near the stadium for that in the former King George school building, just across the street to the east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Good for the Ticats in stepping up to provide the CFHOF a home of sorts, but shame on the CFL for letting it come to this in the first place.

If nothing else this is better than the initial concept with the endzone HOF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Well, it's technically not the CFL's to do (it's the Canadian Football hall of fame, not the CFL hall of fame), though of all football leagues/organizations, they'd probably come closest. The Ticats did, however, have to step up a bit of they wanted it to stay in Hamilton. I'm sure there are a few other teams in the CFL that wouldn't have minded trying to lure the museum/hall of fame to their cities.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 5:32 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Sorry but this really has NOTHING to do with the Ticats. Aside from player facilities at THF they've contributed bupkis to the stadium. And now this CFHOF announcement comes along, but it has little to do with them aside from their cheerleading. They may ultimately be the reason investment in this stadium was made, but they don't own it and they don't control how it's used outside of gameday.

I'm a Ticats fan and long-time season ticket holder, but my beef is their focus on the gravy without contributing to the meat.

I'd prefer to see the city combine the Hall of Fame with a city museum (which has been in the news lately as a discussion item)... and there is a prime building option right near the stadium for that in the former King George school building, just across the street to the east.
What's the stadium arrangement in Hamilton? Does the city own it and the Ticats rent it? Is there a management/upkeep arrangement? (I'm genuinely curious).

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 5:43 AM
Species: Homo Hamiltonus

Quote:
What's the stadium arrangement in Hamilton? Does the city own it and the Ticats rent it? Is there a management/upkeep arrangement? (I'm genuinely curious).
The Cats are tenants. The agreement is more complex than it was at IWS (and more expensive) with the city getting a share of concessions and other things, including payment for naming-rights revenues, but the team doesn't run the roost.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 10:42 AM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Well, it's technically not the CFL's to do (it's the Canadian Football hall of fame, not the CFL hall of fame), though of all football leagues/organizations, they'd probably come closest. The Ticats did, however, have to step up a bit of they wanted it to stay in Hamilton. I'm sure there are a few other teams in the CFL that wouldn't have minded trying to lure the museum/hall of fame to their cities.
I am fully aware that it's the CFHOF and not the CFLHOF. But the reality is that nothing significant is going to happen without the CFLs involvement, and it's a shame that it couldn't have intervened before things got quite so dire that the HOF was effectively forced to leave its iconic building.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 9:12 PM

Calgary rumored for GC 2019. I hope not for CFL's sake. We don't have the facility to host a prestige event.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 9:25 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ I don't think most fans are that hung up on venue quality when it comes to championship games... it's really about the game and the action on the field. If the Grey Cup could sell out dingy old CanadInns Stadium and old Mosaic, then I don't think there is much to object to in McMahon.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 9:41 PM

^^^ I'm just speaking from experience - the last time it was here the game was a classic (no guarantee of that of course) but it was SO cramped since it was never built to hold that many people.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Calgary rumored for GC 2019. I hope not for CFL's sake. We don't have the facility to host a prestige event.
I am hoping the stampeders at least replace the old bench seating with individual seats for the whole stadium and do some concourse improvements before they are awarded the game. If a Grey Cup brings in close to $100 million in economic activity to a city at least spend $15 million to make McMahon passable to host the big game.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 4:13 PM

Argos`

Looks like the first MLSE marketing campaign for the Argos. Some good and bad

-Season ticket pricing is going down, and base is up, although it was 3600 last year so a low starting point, at 4,200 with 80% renewal rate
- Upper East side closed off at this point, capacity just under 20K, but should be better atmosphere until demand is there
-Pinball as a team embassador
-No tailgate, they lose money, but think this needs to be looked at differently

Marketing Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4ep210o3g...ocial.mp4?dl=0
Hope that link works

All this courtesy Dave Naylor on twitter

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 4:22 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ I thought one of the big selling points of BMO was the tailgating thing? Oh well, team organized tailgating parties tend to be kind of lame, the best tailgates are the ones that happen organically by and for the fans. Calgary is the only place I've seen that happen in a big way in Canada, although it's ubiquitous in the States.

Is there at least a parking lot where the fans in Toronto who are so inclined can set up before the game with grills and beers?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Great video, shows they are listening, I had posted that the Argos should use Pull Together in their marketing as a motto, and trumpet that they have been around since 1873. Not trying to take credit just saying it is a fairly obvious thing that should have been done before.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:38 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:

-Season ticket pricing is going down, and base is up, although it was 3600 last year so a low starting point, at 4,200 with 80% renewal rate
- Upper East side closed off at this point, capacity just under 20K, but should be better atmosphere until demand is there

Marketing Video:
Hope that link works

Surprised they wouldn't close-off the west side instead given the view of TV cameras.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Marketing Video:
Hope that link works

This pisses me off after the Argos Grey Cup win and having Rogers join the ownership group they can only sell 600 more season tickets? That's pathetic! MLSE with all of their corporate connections can't get any companies to buy some season tickets? This kind of fan apathy is Montreal Concordes 1980's bad!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 11:52 PM

Argos to introduce lower ticket prices and nix parking lot tailgating
Tara Deschamps, Canadian Press April 9 2018

Toronto Argonauts fans can expect lower ticket prices this season, along with tailgating inside the stadium and branding focused on the team’s roots as a rowing club.

The changes announced Monday are part of owner Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment’s ambitious efforts to revamp the Argos and after years of attendance woes and build a fanbase as large and rabid as MLSE’s other teams – the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs, NBA’s Toronto Raptors and Toronto FC of Major League Soccer.

“Our job is to make sure that club is on the same playing field as the rest of our great franchises here,” said Jerry Ferguson, MLSE’s head of marketing. “We want people to feel and believe that the Argos is Toronto’s team.”

The Argos averaged less than 14,000 fans last season at BMO Field, a stadium that seats roughly 26,000. To increase that number, MLSE says it will target millennials new to the CFL experience as well as long-time Argos supporters. If both groups are enticed to come out to games, MLSE thinks it can increase their stadium audience.

To get fans to games, the average ticket price will be rolled back by 23 per cent, meaning about 2,600 tickets will be sold for as low as $15 per game for season’s seat holders and $19 per game for single-seat buyers.

“At the Argos, the fanbase has struggled a little bit,” Argos president Bill Manning admitted. “We were actually priced higher than TFC and we were losing some of the family aspect of Argos games.”

He said the team won’t drop ticket prices too low or give seats away en mass, because once someone is used to tickets being so cheap or getting them for free “they’ll never pay.”

However, the club will “condense” seating, by selling tickets in the lower bowl first and keeping the upper deck on the east side empty, unless demand increases to fill those seats.

The team will also nix tailgating parties in the parking lots outside BMO Field and move them into the stadium. The popular U.S. phenomenon was brought to Argos games in 2016, but provincial liquor laws meant fans had to purchase booze on-site instead of bringing it from home.

Manning, who grew up in the U.S., said Toronto’s tailgating felt “forced.”

“With the ordinances and where they are, it is hard to replicate what they do in Ohio State,” said Manning. “It actually costs the organization a lot of money to put that on and it wasn’t worth it with the number of people that actually did it.”

He didn’t share specifics about how tailgating at BMO Field will work, but said MLSE is toying with specials and an area at the north end of the stadium that could be built out.

Meanwhile, fans will be able to purchase new Argos merchandise emblazoned with cannons, shields and typography inspired by old cuts of wood.

The nautical themes are rooted in the team’s past as part of the Argonaut Rowing Club, which had a football team as a way to stay fit. The merchandise will feature the blue hues associated with Oxford and Cambridge Universities, a homage to the rowing club’s love of both schools’ rugby teams.

The team will use an old slogan “Pull Together” in an attempt to match bravado of the Raptors’ “We the North” and TFC’s “All for One” campaigns.

“We want to create a sense of rivalry, so if you’re from here, you love us and if you’re not from here, you hate us,” said Ferguson.

That message wasn’t lost on CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie, who joked that he took one look at a forthcoming Argos shirt with “Toronto” written over a map of Canada and thought “I’m a Winnipegger, born and raised, so I already hate that.”

He said that the attitude was indicative of the league’s bold plans to become “bigger, stronger, better.”

“The CFL is no longer interested in being the humble church mouse league. We are no longer interested in being small and obscure,” he said. “We are no longer interested in making do. We want to take the Canadian Football League to new heights.”

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 11:50 PM

Jeff Hunt to step down as REDBLACKS president
CFL.ca Staff April 10 2018

OTTAWA — The Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG) announced on Tuesday that Jeff Hunt will step-down as the Ottawa REDBLACKS’ President at the end of this year. Hunt, an OSEG ownership partner, will maintain his other roles with the organization: OSEG Board Member, REDBLACKS’ Alternate Governor and Governor of the Ottawa 67’s Hockey Club.

“I’m an entrepreneur and marketer at heart,” said Hunt. “The day-to-day operations of a business is not my favorite thing. We have many strong business people at OSEG and they don’t need me checking-up on them. As an OSEG partner, I’ll still be up-to-speed on our teams and the business and have an opportunity to contribute to future growth and success.”

Hunt’s entrepreneurial history is well-known. He founded a carpet cleaning business in the early 1990’s and grew it into a multi-million dollar company before selling in 1998. He then purchased the Ottawa 67’s and won a Memorial Cup. In 2008, he partnered with fellow Ottawa business leaders Roger Greenberg, John Ruddy, William Shenkman and John Pugh to form OSEG, and, together, they were awarded a CFL franchise, built a new stadium/urban lifestyle district, and hosted and won a Grey Cup.

“I feel this is the right time for me to start exploring other entrepreneurial opportunities,” Hunt continued. “It’s a great feeling when you help launch a successful business. I’ve had a lot of success with that over the years, learned a lot of lessons along the way, and I’d be happy to help other companies and entrepreneurs by sharing my experiences with them.”

“We’re happy for Jeff,” said OSEG CEO Mark Goudie. “His ideas and entrepreneurial spirit were valuable assets during our start-up phase. Jeff has been passionate about our fan experience and I know he will continue to be an asset to OSEG at the ownership and Board level.”

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 11:52 PM

Bombers to light stadium green and yellow for Humboldt Broncos
Robbie Abrahamson cfl.ca April 10 2018

On Thursday April 12th, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will honour the Humboldt Broncos by lighting Investors Group Field green and yellow.

Excerpt from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers:

“In light of this unimaginable tragedy, no words seem to suffice to clearly express our anguish and heartbreak for the community of Humboldt,” said President & CEO, Wade Miller.

“We stand in compassion with all those affected and wish them strength and comfort as they begin the healing process.”

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 6:31 PM

Hunt’s decision to step-down a testament to Redblacks’ health
Santino Filoso 3downnation.com April 11, 2018

Just because the news that Jeff Hunt is stepping aside as OSEG’s (Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group) president of sport after the 2018 CFL season is surprising, does not make it a negative for the Ottawa Redblacks. In fact, it’s a clear sign of the franchise’s health.

Although one of just four partners responsible for redeveloping Lansdowne (Roger Greenberg, Bill Shenkman and John Ruddy were the others), Hunt has been the face of OSEG for many in the community since day one.

Even during the redevelopment’s rockiest hours (Friends of Lansdowne, I’m looking at you), Hunt always projected an air of calmness and control.

Much of the respect Hunt has earned over the years stems from his success with Ottawa’s OHL team, the 67’s. Within two years of purchasing the team in 1998, Hunt managed to increase the 67’s attendance from 2,200 to over 7,000, a trend that continued for the next ten years.

Given his previous experience in Ottawa’s sports market, Hunt immediately gave legitimacy to OSEG’s attempt to return pro football to the nation’s capital. His presence in the group checked two big boxes for any potential bid to bring football back; he was local and he was credible.

OSEG’s revitalization of Lansdowne has literally turned a sprawling concrete parking lot and a dilapidated stadium into one of the city’s trendiest districts, interweaving retail, residential, green space and three sports franchises.

Most importantly to R-Nation, Hunt oversaw the launch of the Redblacks’ franchise. As he mentioned in a radio interview with TSN 1200, under his watch, the Redblacks have gone from having zero season ticket holders and corporate sponsors to a franchise that is the envy of the CFL; boasting a strong season ticket base and a healthy business model.

The fact that Hunt is willing to step back truly shows how well established the Redblacks franchise has become. Given all he’s invested, both financially and emotionally in football’s return to Ottawa, there’s simply no way he makes the decision to step down as president if he wasn’t completely confident in the Redblacks’ executive group.

So as the 2018 CFL season gets underway, I urge R-Nation to show Jeff Hunt their appreciation.

Thank him for laying the foundation for pro football to flourish, both on and off the field. Thank him for sticking through the long grind of the redevelopment process. Thank him for consistently putting fans first. Thank him for always being approachable, both in the media and around the stadium. Thank him for reminding the city what a competent sports owner looks like at a time when Ottawa sports fans have been clamouring for exactly that. Thank him for never cutting corners. Thank him for his passion and dedication to the Fury, 67s and Redblacks. Thank him for respecting Ottawa’s rich football history. Thank him for being a fan too.

Lastly, wish him luck in whatever he pursues next. Hunt has hinted that his next project will be in Ottawa, and if history is any indication, that will only lead to good things for the community as a whole.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 7:49 PM

Winnipeg Football Club posts operating profit of $5.1 million in 2017
CFL.ca Staff April 19 2018

WINNIPEG — The Winnipeg Football Club released its 2017 annual report and announced an overall operating profit of $5.1 million – an increase of $2.3 million from 2016 – the team announced on Thursday.

“We are pleased with these very strong 2017 financial results,” said Winnipeg Football Club President & CEO, Wade Miller. “These results are a testament to the strong support from our fans, season ticket members, and corporate partners. Our team should be proud of our success in 2017.” Revenue reached a total of $32.5 million in 2017 (an increase of $2.9 million over 2016), and is owed primarily to increased attendance at Investors Group Field in 2017. The Club hosted a home playoff game, leading to increases in game revenue and WFC revenue and also hosted three major non-football events at Investors Group Field.

Total game revenue increased by $1.6 million (14%) as average attendance for the pre-season and regular season increased from an average of 25,935 fans in 2016 to over 27,400 in 2017, an increase of 6%. Additionally, the Club experienced growth in corporate partnerships, retail sales, and food and beverage revenue thanks to the strong local support of our Bomber fans. In addition, the hosting of non-football events at Investors Group Field are important contributors to the Club’s overall financial performance, while inviting a broader fan base to our stadium. “Investors Group Field has welcomed more than just football fans since its opening, with concerts, soccer, and the Manitoba Marathon finish line inviting a much broader group of Winnipegers into our beautiful facility. These non-football events have been important in the Club’s financial performance as well,” said Miller.

Operating expenses totalled $27.4 million, an increase of just $700,000 or 2.4% over 2016. While the Club continues to invest in its on-field product, overall football operations expenses remained level in 2017 due to savings in many areas as a result of having a healthy, winning football team.

The Club alone continues to fund the public transportation program for transit and park and ride services to and from Investors Group Field. The Club has operated the public transportation program since 2013 and has paid for all expenditures related to the program, totalling over $3.8 million. In 2017, Triple B Stadium Inc. formally acknowledged their legal obligation to fund a portion of the public transportation program, retroactive to 2013 and onward. The Club will continue its efforts to recover the payments due from Triple B.

The Club recorded a payment to Triple B of $3.5 million, the Club’s fourth annual scheduled excess cash payment as required by the Club’s Management Agreement with Triple B. This was in addition to paying the City of Winnipeg $1.3 million, which was related to an earlier Winnipeg Enterprises Corporation debt that was assigned to the Club by the City of Winnipeg in 2005

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 11:04 PM

Interesting that the Winnipeg Blue Bombers draw similar revenue to that of many MLS teams including the New York Red Bulls at $32 million

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-soccer-teams/

https://globalnews.ca/news/4153348/w...-in-the-black/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 6:03 PM

Prospect Profile: Noah Picton
cfl.ca April 20, 2018

University of Regina QB, Noah Picton talks about his experiences in football leading up to the 2018 CFL Draft and his goal to become a starting quarterback in the CFL.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada