Looks very cool.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 3:43 PM

Looks great but awful colour

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 4:11 PM
Made in Edmonton

I dunno....I really like it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:20 PM
What could go wrong?

I remember when I was young and one of my first trips to Toronto I was amazed that they could have such tall buildings way out on the edge of downtown - The Bay Building and CIBC Building at Young and Bloor.

....kind of dwarfed now.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:35 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I remember when I was young and one of my first trips to Toronto I was amazed that they could have such tall buildings way out on the edge of downtown - The Bay Building and CIBC Building at Young and Bloor.

....kind of dwarfed now.
I wouldn't be surprised if both of them come down in the next 10-15 years to make better use of the valuable real estate they're sitting on. One Bloor might end up the shortest building at that intersection.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:41 PM

CIBC Tower isn't coming down

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 6:22 PM
I am the law!

How much more buildable area could they cram on the CIBC tower site? Other sites may have taller towers but, they cover more area with POPS and medium rise podiums. The subway prevents digging down too.

How much space does CIBC occupy in the tower and will they be moving out to CIBC Square? The facade is roached which leads me to believe other systems are in need of updating?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 6:27 PM
I am the law!

One Yorkville:

Better than I was thinking. Should look pretty good except for up close and that would be the last thing I would look at up close at Yonge & Bloor.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 12:43 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Man......that cladding looks pretty promising. Personally I don't see the economics behind tearing down either of the office towers that have been perched at the corner of Yonge and Bloor for a few years now.....especially considering the other site constraints expressed before and the fact that their both 30 floors tall. Although they're not the greatest architectural statements of their time, they serve as respectable and formerly intimidating buildings that just immediately let one know that they were at the junction of Yonge and Bloor.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 2:25 AM

^Agreed.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 7:09 PM
Community Guy

@ianoyeg

@ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:04 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
CIBC Tower isn't coming down
Never is a very long time. I'd be shocked if it's still there in 2068. Besides when they eventually get around to transforming the Bloor/Yonge station and re-develop the department store, it would probably be best to take the tower down at the same time. Some times it makes more sense to start from scratch rather than incorporate existing buildings.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:41 PM
I am the law!

Those "some times" appears to be exceedingly rare for revenue generating high rises. There are literally dozens of infill developments squeezed between existing towers built, under construction and, proposed all over Toronto. Just recently, a new proposal popped up on UT to infill around towers in St Jamestown and the white tower in the park on St Mary Street. These office towers are far more valuable and significant than residential too. Their site usage isn't wasteful either. That's a misrepresentation by putting too much emphasis on the number of metres tall.

"Never is a very long time" is a strawman's argument as we don't live forever. Of course, he didn't actually use an absolute either.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 8:09 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Man......that cladding looks pretty promising. Personally I don't see the economics behind tearing down either of the office towers that have been perched at the corner of Yonge and Bloor for a few years now.....especially considering the other site constraints expressed before and the fact that their both 30 floors tall. Although they're not the greatest architectural statements of their time, they serve as respectable and formerly intimidating buildings that just immediately let one know that they were at the junction of Yonge and Bloor.
Yet the old Delta Chelsea (now Eaton Chelsea), the biggest hotel in the country, is coming down to build something larger. People have a tendency to believe that certain things are a constant, especially if they have an emotional attachment to it. The reality is that the only constant is change. The Bay and CIBC towers won't be there forever even if it's hard for some of us to imagine them gone.

Even some of the towers we're building today will be gone in 50 years. We take down buildings younger than that all the time.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 9:30 PM
I am the law!

I knew you'd bring of the one large tower that could potentially come down out of the hundreds of towers that aren't. That's right. It's only a zoning exercise until you actually see the wrecking balls. Same was proposed for the old Four Seasons and now it's condos. No one is saying big towers won't fall for even bigger towers. It's just exceedingly rare and more so for office towers in a market with 4% vacancy. You're throwing away $10 to $15 million in revenue a year for a multi-year redevelopment (total: 50 to 75 million lost) that will cost 100s of millions more. I'll repeat. How much more density do you think they can add onto these already dense sites. All you see is that these towers are now shorter, much shorter than the new towers going up but, that doesn't tell you anything about the economics of redevelopment. That's just making grandiose statements based solely on the height of things.

In 50 years, we'll all be dead or too old and senile. Who really fucking cares because, on top of all that, it isn't remotely predictable. I also don't recall Toronto ever taking down a 100 metre plus building.

There's less physical change happening across the entire city than you think. A local paper has a "now & then" segment. Nine out of ten times, you couldn't tell the difference.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Apr 16, 2018 at 9:42 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada