HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3461  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:44 PM
Roger Strong's Avatar
Roger Strong Roger Strong is offline
Speak the truth, then run
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Let the plan die. Maybe Artis or TND or someone else can take it and make something more modest but realistic.
Perhaps Rathore and Petrozza's *next* company.

With their standard reminder that the legal troubles at their previous companies - and the ones before those - have nothing to do with the new one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3462  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 6:21 PM
design25 design25 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 24
We bought a unit in this building which was supposed to be move-in by October of this year. After all this time, we are praying for it to be cancelled, so we can put our money into something else... anything else. Don't worry, our money is held in trust by a lawyer, so we will get it back. If Centre Venture gives them an extension, they will lose any credibility they have imho.

Last edited by design25; Apr 17, 2018 at 4:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3463  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 6:24 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by design25 View Post
We bought a unit in this building which was supposed to be move-in by October of this year. After all this time, we are praying for it to be cancelled, so we can put our money into something else... anything else. Don't worry, our money is held in trust by a lawyer, so we will get it back. If Centre Venture gives them an extension, they will lose any credibility they have imho. I hope the raids in Toronto will be the nail in the coffin for this company.
Is there a timeline as to when you could request your deposit back if it doesn't complete but isn't officially cancelled?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3464  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 6:40 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Is there a timeline as to when you could request your deposit back if it doesn't complete but isn't officially cancelled?
depends on the contract wording and would prolly cost more in lawyer fees to break it then whats tied up
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3465  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 8:29 PM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,656
Winnipeg Free Press report on the SkyCity head office raid on Friday

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...479773093.html

Not too much different from Post #3450 from yesterday.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3466  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 5:28 PM
wanggangca wanggangca is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by design25 View Post
We bought a unit in this building which was supposed to be move-in by October of this year. After all this time, we are praying for it to be cancelled, so we can put our money into something else... anything else. Don't worry, our money is held in trust by a lawyer, so we will get it back. If Centre Venture gives them an extension, they will lose any credibility they have imho. I hope the raids in Toronto will be the nail in the coffin for this company.
hi design25,

I am an actual purchaser, please get in touch with me. I have sent you a private message and my phone number is in that message, I would like to discuss some aspects of this project. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3467  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:17 AM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 10,612
Would be great if the TIF skycity sucked up could go towards other projects, but instead it will likely be lost. The provincial side for sure is gone. It took $15m out of the $40m program. Could give $2m to seven great infill projects. Some nice 6-8 storey buildings that could fill parking lots across downtown. So much better that a giant tower. Such a shame that opportunity has been stolen by these guys.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3468  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:36 AM
Roger Strong's Avatar
Roger Strong Roger Strong is offline
Speak the truth, then run
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Would be great if the TIF skycity sucked up could go towards other projects,
It likely did. Just not in Winnipeg.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3469  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 3:59 AM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanggangca View Post
hi design25,

I am an actual purchaser, please get in touch with me. I have sent you a private message and my phone number is in that message, I would like to discuss some aspects of this project. Thank you.
Here's Fortresses new office!

__________________
I'm sober enough to know what I'm doing, and drunk enough to really enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3470  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 3:12 PM
Roger Strong's Avatar
Roger Strong Roger Strong is offline
Speak the truth, then run
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 834
It would be a prison of their own making.

Which would explain why it's taking so damned long to happen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3471  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:08 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Would be great if the TIF skycity sucked up could go towards other projects, but instead it will likely be lost. The provincial side for sure is gone. It took $15m out of the $40m program. Could give $2m to seven great infill projects. Some nice 6-8 storey buildings that could fill parking lots across downtown. So much better that a giant tower. Such a shame that opportunity has been stolen by these guys.
wait so the TIF is paid out in cash directly to the developer before there's even a shovel in the ground?

that's insane, no?

why can't it be put in some sort of escrow or something for projects that aren't yet built?

i'm going to go buy a vacant lot and draw up some plans for a 100 story tower and ask the city to give me ten million bucks
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3472  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:33 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
wait so the TIF is paid out in cash directly to the developer before there's even a shovel in the ground?

that's insane, no?

why can't it be put in some sort of escrow or something for projects that aren't yet built?

i'm going to go buy a vacant lot and draw up some plans for a 100 story tower and ask the city to give me ten million bucks
They never received any of it. City agreed to pay out their 6.5mm upon project completion over the course of ten years.

I believe his point is the province no longer is offering development incentives, so they won't be spending the money this project would have received anywhere, where as when they were prepared to spend it, it could have gone to help some actual smaller projects come to fruition.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3473  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 6:23 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 5,604
^^^I think you are right. More of a lost opportunity rather than spent money.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3474  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 6:23 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
They never received any of it. City agreed to pay out their 6.5mm upon project completion over the course of ten years.

I believe his point is the province no longer is offering development incentives, so they won't be spending the money this project would have received anywhere, where as when they were prepared to spend it, it could have gone to help some actual smaller projects come to fruition.
ohhhhh gotcha

*puts away plans for Tax Increment Tower*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3475  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 9:35 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
ohhhhh gotcha

*puts away plans for Tax Increment Tower*
TIT? Can we see the renderings?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3476  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 10:34 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
TIT? Can we see the renderings?


BUY NOW 75% SOLD OUT
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3477  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 10:57 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 521
You had me at water slide.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3478  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 1:00 AM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,167
Where do I sign?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3479  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 1:27 AM
The Jabroni's Avatar
The Jabroni The Jabroni is offline
Go kicky fast, okay!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Kingdom of Skeletor
Posts: 2,388
Seems legit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3480  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 2:22 AM
Pi3141592654 Pi3141592654 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post


BUY NOW 75% SOLD OUT

Just put your project on permanent 'winterization' too. If you want to see the details a big flop in Toronto (hasn't been updated since Aug 2017) with a project called Harmony Village Sheppard:

Check out http://www.rosengoldberg.com/company...?company_id=31

http://www.rosengoldberg.com/admin/u...rc_silbert.pdf

The Mady Collier Centre bankruptcy details were taken down from the Grant Thorton late last year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:57 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.