HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:47 PM

delete

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:54 PM

Apparently someone from Formula E (the international racing series for electric cars) has said they intend to return to Canada, specifically Toronto or Vancouver.
Unless they plan to be at some out-of-the-way location instead of downtown city streets, and more importantly pay for everything themselves, I'm guessing it won't be happening anytime in the near future, after the mess in Montreal last summer.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 6:48 PM

Hmmm interesting. Wasn't aware there was a Formula E race in Montreal. I know they've used Circuit GV for Nascar and CART races, but I did not know about this, though this was on the streets.

As can be understood from my previous posts, I am not a fan of quiet race cars, but everyone is different. So my question is, if it were in TO, how many people would attend? I just read the MTL race sold 25k tickets and then had to give away 20k.

I'd say as percentage there are more race fans in QC then ON. Quite possibly even total numbers. So the prospects of a Formula E race in TO would seem grim to me. I think there would be less attendance.

In 2016 TO had a ridiculous number or sporting events and the sporting scene suffered from attrition and fatigue. Sports fans only had so much coin to spend. Raps in playoffs, Leafs young exciting team, Blue Jays going deep in playoffs. TFC going to final. Add in one time events, on top of regular events, like NBA All Star, World Cup of Hockey and Grey Cup and suddenly the market is saturated. For WCH and GC, they charged way too much for tickets thinking they could charge TO prices for any special occasion.

Well, there's already the Indy race in TO, and tonnes of other events, and the Raps and Leafs will be good for the foreseeable future (longer for Leafs than Raps) and TFC could be a perennial playoff team for a while even after Seba is gone.

I can't see this being well supported. And don't think gov't would shut down the streets again. And like you mentioned, it would be a tough sell for Indy at Mosport let alone silent race cars. And most footage I've seen of Formula E is street racing. I think the whole series is street based.

As for Vancouver. Maybe the whole green thing works out there as west coast tends to be more associated with that. But shutting down the streets of Vancouver for a few days? Ya could be a nightmare they want to avoid.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 8:20 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We've done literally the only thing we ever do when a Newfoundlander does well internationally in sport - named a highway after them.

Quote:
Today, the Honourable Dwight Ball, Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, along with the Honourable Lisa Dempster, Minister of Children, Seniors and Social Development, Mark Browne, Parliamentary Secretary for Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation and MHA for Placentia West - Bellevue, and Betty Parsley, MHA Harbour Main, honoured Olympic gold and bronze medalist Kaetlyn Osmond, a native of Marystown, and Paralympic silver medalist Liam Hickey, St. John’s, on their accomplishments at the highest levels of international athletic competition.

In recognition of their accomplishments, the Provincial Government will be renaming the Burin Peninsula Highway from Red Harbour to Marystown Osmond Way and the Holyrood Access Road will become Liam Hickey Drive.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 8:26 PM
Haru Urara

Osmond moved away from Marystown (and Newfoundland) when she was 7 years old and she has a hockey arena, street, key to the town, and now a highway named after her.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 8:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Moved away only to train in superior facilities, first in Quebec, then in Alberta. She's still her parents' daughter, and most of her family is here. That's more than enough to keep the culture. Naturally, though, she has said she considers herself a Newfoundlander and an Albertan.

She still counts.

(EDIT: She's doing a tour of the province now and CBC straight up asked her why she still uses Marystown, Newfoundland and Labrador, as her hometown when competing even though she's been away for so long. She said she's a Newfoundlander and it'll always be her answer to "Where is home?". Her mother added they moved away to better her skating career, and it's been great, but they're Newfoundlanders, all their family is still here, etc.)

And it's not that we can't accept children born and raised away aren't really Newfoundlanders. Look at the local coverage of the Humboldt deaths. They all describe Tobin as the child of Newfoundlanders, but never call him that as he wasn't born here, etc.

Quote:
Parker Tobin, 18, was one of 15 who lost their lives in Friday's Humboldt Broncos bus crash. Both of Tobin's parents currently live in Alberta but are originally from Newfoundland — his father is from Bay Roberts and his mother from the Heart's Content area.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...obin-1.4614113

And even then I imagine I'd still get along decently with him. He wouldn't have a local accent, but he'd understand it, even slang. He'd get some local references, he'd have personal experience visiting, etc.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Apr 15, 2018 at 12:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 12:09 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

I think that's pretty cool! I wish they'd name a township after me...Mistercorporateville has a nice ring to it

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada