HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 3:10 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
You shouldn't be surprised. Comes with being the capital. Look at Washington DC.

I wish Ottawa had gone with something closer to the route of DC's grand, uniform low-rise planning from the start. The plateau of ~20-30 storey towers downtown is just kind of the worst of both worlds.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 5:25 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
You shouldn't be surprised. Comes with being the capital. Look at Washington DC.
Washington is low rise so Ottawa is low rise? That's about as daft as concluding that both Omaha and Ottawa are low rise because they start with the letter 'O'.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Washington is low rise so Ottawa is low rise? That's about as daft as concluding that both Omaha and Ottawa are low rise because they start with the letter 'O'.
Laurier's vision of Ottawa was to be the Washington of the North. He was influenced by what was going on there.

Even looking at a capital like London, it took them a long time to get tall buildings. Seeing how young Ottawa is as a city, we're not that far behind other capitals in getting tall buildings.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 3:29 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I wish Ottawa had gone with something closer to the route of DC's grand, uniform low-rise planning from the start. The plateau of ~20-30 storey towers downtown is just kind of the worst of both worlds.
I do like the modern, big city feel of Ottawa's business district. I agree it doesn't have the classic, grand feel of a capital.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 6:08 PM

An update to the Mississauga Waterfront design plan. Looks really nice, has some interesting looking tower designs as well as plenty of mixed use infill kind of stuff that Mississauga developers really like. The current area is completely undeveloped (old OPG waterfront site). Development here is much needed and will be fantastic for that part of the city. The three towers remind me of the Flame Towers in Baku, Azerbaijan, but much less iconic. There are some more images on the Lakeview Community Partners site.

https://www.lakeviewcommunitypartners.com/

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 6:42 PM

Is that over beside the sewage treatment plant?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I do like the modern, big city feel of Ottawa's business district. I agree it doesn't have the classic, grand feel of a capital.
Agree. A lot of people who walk around downtown Ottawa for the first time are often surprised at the nice mix and various styles of architecture and the "big city" feel the core has compared to other cities in comparable size.

If some of the building's in the core were taller, Ottawa would have a respectable skyline, but alas as a capital it is what it is. Still have to say Ottawa has arguably the most underrated downtown of any Canadian city.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 7:58 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Laurier's vision of Ottawa was to be the Washington of the North. He was influenced by what was going on there.

Even looking at a capital like London, it took them a long time to get tall buildings. Seeing how young Ottawa is as a city, we're not that far behind other capitals in getting tall buildings.
Laurier's been long dead and Europe only started building skyscrapers a few decades ago. North America has been doing it since day 1 in the 1880s. Ottawa is influenced by Canadian urban planning policies. It's not like Ottawans look to foreign capitals when deciding what kind of buildings industry/residents need. Maybe in colonial days that was true but this is 2018.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 5:53 PM

New renders of Square Children's - Montréal

Masterplan :

(#2&3) - EstWest condos - 2*27fl - 95m

(#1) - Tour 1 Le Square Children's - 39fl - 120m - Seniors’ residences + condos

(#4&5) - Affordable Housing + community centre - 20fl - 65m

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 6:46 PM

That Mississauga waterfront plan looks amazing!!!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:03 PM
I am the law!

It looks amazing but, I not convinced it actually is amazing. There appears to be the typical separation of uses. I don't see much in the way of office actually (which isn't good for such a large plan) but, the institutional spaces appear to be all concentrated in one area. Other things like the smokestack inspired towers surrounded by lake and park space should be more central.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:41 PM

^It's still better than anything currently being built out here. It's amazing by Mississauga standards.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 12:41 AM
Midtowner since 2K

It's "amazing" by Missingsausage standards, but it's a render. You could say that about a lot of projects. I don't see much in those renders......mostly because it looks preliminary and this project will take a long while to really start.

The lakeshore area of Missingsausage definitely needs work....it suffers from some poor design issues of the past, especially the roadways and the way the planned them. If this Lakeview project turns out alright, it'll offer an interesting contrast to Port Credit.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
It's "amazing" by Missingsausage standards, but it's a render. You could say that about a lot of projects. I don't see much in those renders......mostly because it looks preliminary and this project will take a long while to really start.

The lakeshore area of Missingsausage definitely needs work....it suffers from some poor design issues of the past, especially the roadways and the way the planned them. If this Lakeview project turns out alright, it'll offer an interesting contrast to Port Credit.
Oh for sure. I understand it's all preliminary, but even proposing something in this built form is big for Mississauga. That's how low the bar is.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Laurier's been long dead and Europe only started building skyscrapers a few decades ago. North America has been doing it since day 1 in the 1880s. Ottawa is influenced by Canadian urban planning policies. It's not like Ottawans look to foreign capitals when deciding what kind of buildings industry/residents need. Maybe in colonial days that was true but this is 2018.
Ottawa only became a city of significant size after World War II. It was a small city before that and had no skyline.

Ottawa will remain unique. Any true skyscrapers will be located away from downtown. Certain vistas of the Peace Tower must remain intact.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 8:43 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Yet another shopping mall-turned-mega development, this one at the transit hub of Bloor & Dundas:

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 8:59 PM
Khan

^ That's Asian mega-city ambitious.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 9:24 PM
Midtowner since 2K

What the hell is going on with Toronto.....jeez louise. I really have do doubt this project's chances of happening, unless there's a lot of scaling back.

The Local Planning Tribunal will have some words of wisdom for this project, even with it's great location (UP, subway)

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 9:40 PM

a couple of the towers in the bloor/dundas proposal already look dated to me. Also, not exactly the niecest neighbourhood imo... right next to those god aweful crossway towers.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 1:09 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
^ That's Asian mega-city ambitious.
You nailed it. There's no much to like about this oversized, out of character megablock plan. It can't get any more self absorbed turning it's back on the established community instead of adding onto it (like extending Herman to Dundas)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada