HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 12:54 AM

latest building proposed for portland

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 1:21 AM

Is this for real? If so, what address?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 1:23 AM

This is the best news I have heard all day. This will be much closer to my office!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 1:54 AM
Pacific Wonderland

^^^ lol. Some project in China that they dropped in a photo of PDX into the background. Downtown is backwards, too.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 2:15 AM

I thought so but I admit...I'm gullible even tho I saw the Chinese writing...I even Googled looking for BM Plaza...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 2:42 AM

WTF dougall!! Not funny--that got me too excited...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 2:57 AM

I don't even know what BM stands for, don't even want to know.

I would cum in my pants if PDX got a proposal of that magnitude.

(there ya go, 2 discharges in 1 post )

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 4:30 AM

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 5:41 AM

5-6 stories?

Seems like a small step for mankind, one ...... .

You would think to make it worthwhile for a debate would be to go tall (like 30 stories) and pull back with the final decision.

But no one said PDX thinkers/movers really understand compromise and setting up a plan and following it through.

EP

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 6:33 AM

sorry guys. shoot i was hoping more people would fall for it i only got pacNW
yah i was over at ssc looking at some projects in shanghai and i noticed something strange about the rendering, maybe the people in shanghai have a special love for portlands skyline.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 12:15 PM

They're also opening a new shop in Seattle. I'm pretty sure they'll be roasting beans up there too.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 2:04 AM

Some new from the NW Examiner

To mark two full days of delightfully cordial conversation on this forum, I thought I'd dig in to the latest NW Examiner and see what the new issue has to offer.

There's a long article about the Burnside couplet with a nifty rendering of Burnside meeting Park and splitting around a statue (think of the deer statue on Main (?) between 3rd and 4th). Looks very nice. It also mentions that Harold Schnitzer owns several properties along the south side of Burnside, which he's put off developing, but now "is developing plans". The blocks he owns are: the block with the Jaguar dealer, just east of the nasty-looking (is it?) sushi place on 18th; the Crystal Ballroom block; and the block with the Eagle.

There's also an article about the Lane warehouse on 18th and Quimby or so and its conversion into offices and the construction of at least one six-story apartment tower (the rendering shows two or three, but no mention is made in the article).

Finally, I mentioned a week or so ago that a tacqueria called "Cha" is opening in the old Stars Antique Mall space. Turns out this is a more upscale version of Cha Cha Cha (same owners) which will feature organic everything.

While I'm at it, who among us doesn't enjoy a dancing banana? Goes well with that Lindstrom record.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 3:53 AM

hooray for infill!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 2:43 AM

http://www.acehotel.com/portland/

From bikeportland.org:

New hotel will have Dutch bike fleet

Posted by Jonathan Maus

The Ace Hotel — Seattle’s “leading design hotel” — is set to open in Portland on January 30th of next year.

I confirmed today with jorg&olif CEO Rob MacDonald that he is partnering up with the hotel to have a standing fleet of 6-10 Dutch city bikes and possibly even a cargo bike for use by employees and guests.

The company currently offers this service at their Seattle location and they’re hoping to have an even larger presence in Portland. Several Ace employees have already been outfitted with jorg&olif bikes and they’re excited for the partnership.

Ace PDX’s Natasha Figueroa says employees will use the bikes to run errands.
“We’ll have two restaurants inside the hotel and I can imagine a courier service using the cargo bikes to deliver food to local businesses.”

MacDonald says jorg&olif are actively pursuing retail store opportunities in Portland and that given the positive tone of recent talks with investors, we could be seeing a jorg&olif retail store opening here as soon as June 2007.

No details yet on where the store would be located, but the owners of the Ace Hotel are big Dutch bike fans so I wouldn’t be surprised to see a jorg&olif retail operation in the lobby of their new hotel.

I can see it now, “Here’s your room key sir, and don’t forget the key to your U-lock.”

And some background info:

Portland's new concept hotel to accommodate unconventional travelers
Daily Journal of Commerce (Portland, OR), May 13, 2005 by Kennedy Smith

A new downtown hotel will soon fill the market niche for travelers who prefer the Kama Sutra over the Gideons Bible for their bedside reading.

In a $3.3 million transaction, The Clyde Hotel at 1022 S.W. Stark St. in Portland will be renovated and reopened as The Ace Hotel, a value boutique for travelers.

Like its Seattle counterpart, The Ace Hotel caters to the Generation X creative class with its European-style lodging, eclectic decor, and funky and futuristic design - a mixture of both modern and historic, kitsch and classic.

This hotel will have an entirely different look and will appeal to a different market, said developer Robert Sacks of A&R Development Co. We're excited to show Portland a hotel concept that incorporates moderately priced lodging for creative, design-conscious people.

The redesign will combine the Clyde Hotel's existing construction - a brick and terra cotta facade, stone details, original hardware and claw foot bathtubs - with new floor and wall treatments and furnishings.

The building's exterior needs little work, so renovations will mainly focus on the interior of the hotel. The design phase is still in progress, and a budget has yet to be identified.

We like the soul of historic architecture, said Alex Calderwood, Ace Hotel's managing partner. There is an evolution in design from the Seattle Ace to the Portland Ace; we'll offer larger rooms, more common area amenities, a larger lobby presence and possibly meeting space.

The Clyde Hotel will close operations in June and reopen with its new name a few months later. The hotel's current 93 rooms will be converted to around 50 rooms and suites on the upper three floors of the building. The ground floor features retail and restaurant space. Prices will range from $75 to $200 a night.

The project is led by The Ace Hotel Group, a venture of Calderwood and partner Wade Weigel, who also head Rudy's Barbershops and Sweet Mother Recordings. They have plans to expand their concept hotels to other metropolitan cities, including San Francisco, Berlin, Amsterdam and Montreal. The Ace Hotel was named The Next Wave of hoteliers in Time Magazine's list of 100 innovators. Its Seattle location has been open since 1999.

Architecture firm MacNaughton and Raymond, which also designed the Interstate Firehouse Cultural Center, will design the hotel renovations.

The developer, A&R Development Co., recently completed a West End project that includes American Apparel and Masu restaurant. The firm won a Mayor's Award for Design Excellence for its work on Dosha Salon at the corner of Northwest 23rd Avenue and Glisan.

The 28,536-square-foot Clyde Hotel was built in 1912 and valued at $600,000 at its construction. In 1987, the hotel was renamed the Ben Stark Hotel; however, its original name remains set in a tile pattern at the building's entryway. It was nominated to the National Historic Register in 1993.

Daren Duke of Colliers International represented both the seller and buyer in the transaction.

Copyright 2005 Dolan Media Newswires

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 4:40 AM

Just build the damn tower...i'm sick of the politics and the city getting involved

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 10:25 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Nooo! Not the Crystal Ballroom! And doesn't McMenamins own it? Those plans had better not change what is arguably a truly great thing for that part of town (even if I hate Ringler's).

I also kind of like the Jaguar dealership. It's so burnside!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 10:48 AM

continuing to live under my rock, in my SE cave, that whole concept sounds revolting. A, 13 bucks for a movie is retarded, B, 13 bucks for a little seen artsy or foreign film on the premise that you are being artsy is even more retarded, C, the fact that people will pay these prices for admission and then buy pricey drinks and food is the "you and your wallet are retarded" clincher. they will be out of biz in 2 years, tops.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 11:19 AM

East vs West

Eastside = Laurelhurst movie with pizza and beer = $8

Westside = Living Room with tapas (what is that anyway?) and Martini = $30

I love living in the S.E. !!

Make over 20,000 also

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall
maybe the people in shanghai have a special love for portlands skyline

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 4:22 PM

There'd be hell to pay if anyone tried to mess with the Crystal Ballroom...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland