HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 3:18 AM

Quote:
A couple of updates:

There are rumors that First National Bank of Sioux Falls, which has a four story brick building downtown will be adding as many as seven floors later this summer for an unconfirmed tenant.

A building and lumber yard on the East Bank of the river downtown will be moving to Harrisburg in the next year or two, which will free up an industrial site, also on the East bank downtown. Some speculation involves as many as two or three new mid-rise buildings, including possibly a ten story hotel and conference center. This may go forward through the City as early as fall.

Most of downtown lies on the west side of the river, but there is some push fo redevelopment on the east side. Cherapa Place, the recently completed six story office building seen on earlier entries in this forum is on the East Bank.

VeraSun Energy, the second largest producer of ethanol wil be moving its corporate headquarters downtown from Brookings, SD and St. Paul, MN later this summer in a new office building near completion on 9th and Minnesota Avenue. Sioux Falls already hosts the corporate headquarters of Poet, the largest ethanol producer in the world. Poet, although a private company that refuses to disclose total sales and profits, is rumored to have revenue figures that would place it in the Fortune 500 if it were a public company.

Uptown at Falls Park has changed the two new buildings to be constructed to seven, rather than six stories. Because of the national economy and the tightened credit market, developers are waiting to have a 50% lease commitment before construction begins. Could be fall. The first two buildings that have been redeveloped (Larson Square and the Tri-State Cremery buildings have leased 80% of the residential apartments and approximately 50% of the office/retail portion.

Sanford Health expects to begin dirtwork on it's new research park on the southeast corner of the I-29 and I-229 interchange later this summer. The first office building, possibly as high as 18 stories, will begin constuction next year. Sanford is depending on the state and city to eventually build a new interchange at I-29 and 85th Street to help serve the research park, which is around 20,000 acres (half a square mile) in size.

New housing permits so far this year are off by around 40%. The national housing downturn has caught up with Sioux Falls for the moment. Although the current figures are close to the ten year average.

More later.
This sounds like very good news for sioux falls, I cant wait to see it happen. Maybe we can get some interesting architecture for a change.

Last edited by Justin_144; May 29, 2008 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 2:46 AM

Post Sioux Falls Ranks in Top Three Communities for Clean Water

Sioux Falls’ tap water is among the cleanest in the country, according to Forbes magazine.

In a report published recently on its website, Forbes ranks Sioux Falls’ water the third cleanest in the country, behind only Des Moines, Iowa, and Austin, Texas. Miami and Birmingham, Alabama, also ranked high on the list.

The rankings are based on levels of the cloudiness of water; bacteria; haloacetic acids, a byproduct of drinking water disinfection; and lead.

“This provides our residents good reassurance that their drinking water meets very high standards,” Mayor Dave Munson said.

To create the list, Forbes.com examined data from consumer confidence reports provided annually by community water systems and compiled by University of Cincinnati researchers in 2006 in its “United States Drinking Water Quality Study Report.”

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 12:47 AM
Boomer

Question Downtown Events Center?

SF is really making some progress. Very encouraging. The next step in this process has to be an events center. Sounds like there is substantial conflict amoung city leaders (both govt and business) as to where this facility should be located and, exactly, what it should be: arena-style versus dome-style. Personally, even with the traffic hassles, I prefer the downtown option. Across the country, events centers are being built downtown to encourage redevelopment in the heart of the city. This is a change from 15-20 years ago when the goal was to get them into the suburbs. I just believe that the downtown core is the identity of the city. What's your take? Anyone hearing anything on this subject?

Last edited by Boomer; Jun 2, 2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 1:37 AM

I too think that the event center should be downtown. Its the best option in terms of parking and experience. But its looking like the arena site is going to be the location its built in.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 4:46 PM

I was at one of the public event center meetings. There was a lot of disagreement between the committee people and the general public. The committee is pushing for a building similar to the Fargodome that would be built West of the convention center and would replace Howard Wood Field. The floor space of the events center would double as extra space for the convention center. Most of the general public agreed that we need a new arena, but everyone was against tearing down Howard Wood. Most people, including myself were in favor of a 12-14000 seat arena similar to something like the Qwest Center or Tyson Center.
One thing that someone mentioned at the meeting I went to is that the Canaries would be willing to build the stadium downtown to make room for a new arena at the current site. Since the baseball games don't draw as large of crowds as a potential large concert or other arena event, the traffic situation wouldn't be as bad downtown. Anyone else been to one of the meetings?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 2:12 AM

I'm friends with someone that works at SF Construction and he said the extra 7 stories to the FNB building is a go.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 3:29 PM

Sanford Research Park

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 8:29 PM

Does anyone have a picture of the First national bank in downtown?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 9:12 PM

i found this one off their website

https://www.fnbsf.com

Don't think I have a bigger one anywhere.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skate342 View Post
I'm friends with someone that works at SF Construction and he said the extra 7 stories to the FNB building is a go.
I'm amazed that's possible. Do you have access to any drawings, or when work is expected to start? 11 floors will be the total if my count is right, the same as the Qwest tower.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_144 View Post

Progress on the Houwman building

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 8:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by skate342 View Post
i found this one off their website

https://www.fnbsf.com

Don't think I have a bigger one anywhere.

source: msn chat logs

Last edited by 1ajs; Jun 10, 2008 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 3:00 AM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAllSGUY View Post
Sanford Research Park

Very impressive for this region of the country. A little spread out, impressive none the less. Keep growing Sioux Falls!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 3:18 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

^^^ eww so much surface parking.......... so much wasted space...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 6:36 PM

Post New office building downtown sinking

Bank, VeraSun tenants for Minnesota Ave. site

June 10, 2008

One of Sioux Falls' newest office buildings has sunk two inches into soft soil, and workers now must pump a cement mix into the ground to try to raise it back up.

Concrete footings on the north side of the the First Bank & Trust Financial Centre at Ninth Street and Minnesota Avenue have settled "beyond normal tolerances," said Dale Jans, president of Jans Corp., the building's general contractor.

"There's a layer of bad soil under the footings," he said.

The building can't open until the problem is fixed. Besides First Bank & Trust, Brookings-based VeraSun Energy plans to become a tenant when it moves its corporate headquarters there this summer.

The four-story building is owned by The Dunham Co. Jans said having the soil properly tested was Dunham's responsibility.

Dunham chairman Don Dunham Jr. said testing showed no indication the soil under the building couldn't hold its weight.

Jans said the problem came to the contractors' attention recently.

"We just noticed the windowsills weren't all at the same elevation," Jans said. "When we built the building they were level, and about a month after that, they weren't."

Some stabilizing work has been done to keep the 60,000-square-foot building from sinking further, Jans said, and a company from Tennessee will come to Sioux Falls this month to complete the job.

R. Michael Bivens, geotechnical engineer for Knoxville, Tenn.-based Rembco Geotechnical Contractors, said the soil under the building's foundation contains river deposits of sand and clay and glacial till.

"The thing that's generating the settling is that some of this material is better than others," Bivens said.

Bivens' firm will use a technique known as compaction grouting to drill a hole about 30 feet deep through the foundation down to the bedrock. They then pump a thick mortar-like sand and cement material into the hole. The shaft compacts the soil around it, Bivens said. That increases the soil's density, making it better able to hold the building's foundation and help raise it.

Bivens said the procedure is necessary to maintain the structural integrity of the office building.

"It was clear from the photos that we saw that it was an emergency situation," Bivens said.

Dunham and Jans said the total cost of the foundation and soil work has not been determined. It's also not clear yet who ultimately will foot the bill for the extra work.

"It's (whoever is) responsible," Dunham said. "We haven't identified that yet."

The foundation problems have pushed back when the building's namesake can move in. The building has to be declared sound by a structural engineer before the city of Sioux Falls issues a certificate of occupancy.

First Bank & Trust agreed last year to lease one and a half stories of the building and also acquired naming rights. The building originally was dubbed Minnesota Centre.

Brian Thompson, First Bank & Trust's president and chief executive, said the company still plans to be a tenant.

"We don't have any concerns," Thompson said.

The bank was to move in sometime in July, and now it probably will be August, Dunham said.

Brookings-based VeraSun Energy plans to locate its corporate headquarters there on two and a half floors of the building at the end of the summer.

"We're still targeted for the move at the end of summer," said VeraSun spokesman Mike Lockrem. "We're aware of the repair work that needs to be done and have been assured that it will be properly taken care of."

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 7:13 PM
still here

that's kind of a funny situation and that's a really nice building too

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 7:35 PM

I know for a fact that buildings in the Fargo region currently are sinking also lol. We dont deal with soft soil in our region due to the bedrock so close to the surface unlike in Fargo where the soil is so soft and bedrock so far down that its almost impossible to build a large building in downtown Fargo without extensive support measures. Maybe it was overlooked, maybe there was nothing to indicate that it would happen but its somebodies fault and it happens. We dont normally have experience with this sort of situation. Personally I think the building is a bit generic but it does well to fill in the gap that was there. It reminds me a lot of the Phillips Centre.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
^^^ eww so much surface parking.......... so much wasted space...
Sioux Falls developers are too cheap to build parking ramps.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 10:30 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

dude you totaly missed my complaint...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
dude you totaly missed my complaint...
Oh..........................

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest