HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 6:12 PM

Quote:
You realize you could've just done that without being a fucking self-righteous drama queen and bumping an old thread all the way to the top so everyone would be aware of your disapproval, as if it meant anything.

Beyond that though, really, what a bizarre statement to make. 'I disagree with your political viewpoints, so I refuse to look at any photograph taken by you ever again.' Could you be any more petty and childish?
Seriously, he specifically revived this thread to say that. In any case, hopefully he will avoid future threads... that's called addition by subtraction.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 8:12 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Firstly, thanks everyone for your comments. Now, on to some specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
It's the last photo thread of yours I will waste time entering.
Nonsense. All I need do is post a photo thread of Atlanta and state that visiting Atlanta is perhaps not equivalent to feeling the kiss of God upon your forehead, and you'll be right there to tell me that I'm obviously wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
Good photos, hauntedhead.

Can't we all stop fighting and just agree that Raleigh is awesome even if the state capital building isn't the best. Raleigh has won a Stanley Cup so nyan nyan nyan to everyone who hasn't!

Fayetteville street can get pretty busy on weekends. They still block it off what feels like almost every weekend (or at least once or twice a month) for events and festivals downtown. We have a ton of them. We're the Austin Of The East after all.

Also, about "City of Oaks" - I've noticed that Raleigh is just inside the dividing line between the rolling hills of the Piedmont and the flat, pine trees of the coastal plane. Go south or east of Raleigh and immediately it is flat with nothing but pines.
Thanks, especially, for your comments. Do you think that Fayetteville Street has potential to become better integrated into the downtown fabric? Though I was there for an admittedly short time, while I was there you could very clearly see the shifts coming and going on that street. During the day, the office workers ruled. At night it dropped dead. It was slow for a good part of the day on Saturday. The rest of downtown has entertainment districts and shopping and all, but Fayetteville's the main street... don't you think it should have some more "oomph" to it?

Also regarding the City of Oaks nickname, it's interesting to me to even visit the Piedmont because here in the mountains, the flora is just different enough to let you know you're not anywhere else in the state. Things just have a different look and feel up here.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 8:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The streets are eerily empty of pedestrians.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 8:35 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The streets are eerily empty of pedestrians.
Well, it was early and drizzly, and we mostly stayed in and near Fayetteville Street, whose peculiar qualities have already been discussed. As the day wore on though and crowds began to arrive at the museums, things downtown got considerably more lively. Also, that Friday night we visited the downtown entertainment district of Glenwood Avenue, which was so crowded it was like a parade. We didn't visit other entertainment and shopping/dining areas such as the Warehouse District though, and only did the quickest of run-throughs of the City Market.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 12:52 AM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Do you think that Fayetteville Street has potential to become better integrated into the downtown fabric? Though I was there for an admittedly short time, while I was there you could very clearly see the shifts coming and going on that street. During the day, the office workers ruled. At night it dropped dead. It was slow for a good part of the day on Saturday. The rest of downtown has entertainment districts and shopping and all, but Fayetteville's the main street... don't you think it should have some more "oomph" to it?
Part of the problem is the number late 20th century buildings that weren't made to be pedestrian friendly, and part of the problem is that the downtown residential development has mostly been towards Glenwood south. With the warehouse district and Glenwood drawing a lot of the art, food, and drink crowd away it leaves Fayettville in 3rd place. Good news is there is some additional residential and office buildings coming that should provide more ground floor retail and restaurant space. Things are starting to pick back up after the recession and Skyhouse Raleigh started site prep this week.

But, a lot of the development will be one block east on Wilmington Street. In fact, I think Wilmington St. has more bars/restaurants and street life than Fayetteville St.

But, I know my view is skewed by the fact that I live 5 miles from downtown and don't work downtown, so I'm primarily there on weekends, often for the frequent big events that shut down Fayetteville Street altogether.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 10:45 PM
Gatinois et fier

interesting!

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 485 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 12:58 AM

Are you a writer? Cuz you didn't use normal English, who's with me?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 3:36 AM
Beer Stampede

Guess I missed this one!! Nice thread!!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 2:50 PM
BANNED

Nice photos.

I wish that Raleigh had more water features and fountains like Charlotte.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 1:09 PM
A gruff individual.

Thanks for the comments on this old thread, guys. I appreciate it... Guess it's good to know also that old pics on Photobucket are still viewable even though I let my account there lapse.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos