Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
"what do you apologize to visitors on behalf of your city?"

Coldrsx
We even apologize to each other about him

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 10:44 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
It's called narcissism hardly that interesting.
Actually if it were a serious post, it would be called Homerism. In this case, it's called a joke.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 10:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
"So you came to Newfoundland expecting bright colourful houses strung along the cliffs, a bay full of fishing boats and icebergs, and people with cute Irish accents eh? Sorry to confuse you with our flat topography, typical Canadian/American houses and streets, lack of icebergs because they don't come down this side of the island, and confusing as all hell French accents. Enjoy your time in the part of Newfoundland they don't tell you exists, make sure to stop in the Codroy Valley on your way to the boat and see the Scottish countryside."
Lol I'm flying home to Sville on Thursday, can't wait!!

Anyhow for Stephenville it'd be something like this. (Sorry despite our town having some of the best geographic infrastructure in the country, were a textbook definition of demographic poverty.)

Stjohn's. ( Sorry or Public transit sucks, Traffic sucks, the weather sucks, but hey it's fun to get drunk.)

Toronto, (Sorry I've never heard of where your from(insert any canadian province).

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Lol I'm flying home to Sville on Thursday, can't wait!!

Anyhow for Stephenville it'd be something like this. (Sorry despite our town having some of the best geographic infrastructure in the country, were a textbook definition of demographic poverty.)

Stjohn's. ( Sorry or Public transit sucks, Traffic sucks, the weather sucks, but hey it's fun to get drunk.)

Toronto, (Sorry I've never heard of where your from(insert any canadian province).
^^that is a very common comment from Torontonians

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I was in Toronto back in summer 2012, I was stopping there for a day on my trip to move to Newfoundland, Since I was leaving Kelowna and that was where I was from, I told many residents I was from Kelowna and they asked me why I left, people complimented me saying they were jealous and envious that I grew up in the okanagan, even in Newfoundland people praised the place.

I never could figure out why

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 11:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I never got too much, "I don't know St. John's" in TO, ever - even years ago when the reaction was usually ridicule. I think we've always been known, and now positively.

BUT some coworkers in TO still mix it up with New Brunswick sometimes. Even people I've known for years, whom I interact with every day, with occasionally say, "Which one are you in again? Nova Scotia? Now, wait, Saint John is New Brunswick, right?"

But that happens everywhere.

I still mix up who is from Oshawa and Oakville and everything else too.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 11:56 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Vancouverites apologize for the rest of the country.

"When you go east over the Rockies, this country becomes extremely insecure, and has to apologize about everything. Sorry about that."

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
I was in Toronto back in summer 2012, I was stopping there for a day on my trip to move to Newfoundland, Since I was leaving Kelowna and that was where I was from, I told many residents I was from Kelowna and they asked me why I left, people complimented me saying they were jealous and envious that I grew up in the okanagan, even in Newfoundland people praised the place.

I never could figure out why
Probably because all most people know about the Okanagan is that it's a geographically beautiful region with a warm climate and tons of recreational activities. They don't know the negatives or the reasons why someone might want to leave the place.

Somewhat similar, I've been told by friends from Alberta who have moved to the GTA that their co-workers are surprised that someone from Alberta would move to Ontario, as "Alberta's where everyone's moving too, it's where the jobs are!"

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Somewhat similar, I've been told by friends from Alberta who have moved to the GTA that their co-workers are surprised that someone from Alberta would move to Ontario, as "Alberta's where everyone's moving too, it's where the jobs are!"
Alberta is where everyone's moving to but according to the latest stats it was also the province that had the most people leaving it...

(Which is consistent with people moving for job-related reasons.)

For Sherbrooke I'd apologize to cyclists for the hills (there's absolutely no escaping them, they're everywhere) and to urbanists for the really pathetic CBD for a metro of over 200k.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 12:40 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Same here.

I'm always intrigued by CFAs (Come From Aways, our term for mainland and international immigrants).

There's one woman from Portugal who owns a Newfoundland dog kennel now. She only came here because she bought a Newfoundland and wanted it to see where it came from.

The hostel crowd is usually from TO and Europe - we meet them all because a friend used to work the front desk at a popular one in the old town. They come temporarily, sometimes work (even under the table), sometimes not. They're always cool. Most of TO friends on FB are from this group.

KAO79 moved here from B.C. for work. That shocks me.

Ayreonaut is here from Calgary for school and he's the only Albertan I know whose gone in the opposite direction, excluding people from here moving back.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 12:49 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:

I get this ALL the time when I tell people I am originally from Calgary.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Same here.

I'm always intrigued by CFAs (Come From Aways, our term for mainland and international immigrants).

There's one woman from Portugal who owns a Newfoundland dog kennel now. She only came here because she bought a Newfoundland and wanted it to see where it came from.

The hostel crowd is usually from TO and Europe - we meet them all because a friend used to work the front desk at a popular one in the old town. They come temporarily, sometimes work (even under the table), sometimes not. They're always cool. Most of TO friends on FB are from this group.

KAO79 moved here from B.C. for work. That shocks me.

Ayreonaut is here from Calgary for school and he's the only Albertan I know whose gone in the opposite direction, excluding people from here moving back.
I have a cousin born and raised in Edmonton who just moved to Gander and talked her fiance into having their wedding in Stephenville. Not sure the rationale behind any of it, but I am most supportive haha

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 1:26 AM
I am a typical

I wish the people who moved to Alberta didn't come back. They tend to be assholes.

So you can add, "Sorry all of the people here who spent a brief period of time working in Alberta are shitty people."

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 1:32 AM
digital b0y

Sorry about the cold, the tough winter, the very short summer, the winds, the roads, the architecture, the general condition of the city, etc.

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 1:44 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
When I went there, the roads looked like better than province average. I missed something ?
I don't find Gatineau municipal roads are better than the Quebec average. We're about on par with the roads within the Ville de Montréal I would say, and worse than most of Montreal's suburban municipalities and also the Quebec City area.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 1:44 AM

Sorry about the occasional pulp mill smell, and for our severe tower shortage.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't find Gatineau municipal roads are better than the Quebec average. We're about on par with the roads within the Ville de Montréal I would say, and worse than most of Montreal's suburban municipalities and also the Quebec City area.
Well, if so, I really need to get back !

One thing I'm sure is about Québec city. I always found our roads better than average in the province, but yet WAY too bad for my own taste.

I'm not sure how to measure that though. I may be different from everyone...

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
(not like in Ottawa, for example, where they usually keep at least one sidewalk and at least one lane open throughout)
except when they shut down all of Bank Street in the Glebe

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 2:03 AM

this thread epitomizes Canadianess and I love it!! Canada: the only rich country where people aren't assholes

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 2:06 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Alouishous View Post
this thread epitomizes Canadianess and I love it!! Canada: the only rich country where people aren't assholes
This is a joke, right? Most people are nice in most rich countries.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada