HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 11:11 AM

why do they have 3 different colors for the seat and they're spread out a bit everywhere? it doesn't look that nice

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny2727 View Post
why do they have 3 different colors for the seat and they're spread out a bit everywhere? it doesn't look that nice
It gives a semblance of a larger crowd... when you have the same color everywhere it looks emptier, especially on TV.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
It gives a semblance of a larger crowd... when you have the same color everywhere it looks emptier, especially on TV.
That is actually the reason for picking dark colours. The scattered seat colours are an aesthetic choice.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 4:33 PM

There was an article in the Times-Transcript this morning about selling the naming rights to multiple venues and buildings as a revenue influx. I know that they will do this with the Events Centre, but have we heard any more updates as to which companies may be interested in that?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 5:39 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodiacCanuck View Post
There was an article in the Times-Transcript this morning about selling the naming rights to multiple venues and buildings as a revenue influx. I know that they will do this with the Events Centre, but have we heard any more updates as to which companies may be interested in that?
No, and this topic generally comes up every month or so and we usually come up with the worst possible case scenarios to brace ourselves for what it will eventually be.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 3:35 PM

Went to Place Bell last night for A Perfect Circle. Got some observations that could relate to the new Centre.

- The non padding seats will surely bite them in the butts (hehe) in the future. People here have been claiming on how comfortable the seats are in Laval. Even the temporary floor seats had padding, and they felt great.

- Still dont understand the luxury box setup. While I understand there's probably not enough demand for all around boxes, they could at least transfer some of the boxes that will be useless for most concerts, put them on the other side of the big windows. Last night at Place Bell, even though there was a LOT of empty spot in the lower bowl, most of the boxes were used$$.

- Here, even with the metro station near by, people were still complaining about the lack of parking, thats why they decided to put a free shuttle from City Hall to the arena (approx same distance as Coliseum to Centre). Since it was my first time attending an event there, I decided to give it a shot.

I arrived there where there was maybe 5 cars there. I was greeted by 3 buses that were just waiting there. I got there and waited maybe 5 minutes before he drove (we ended up being like 12 in the bus), but while waiting, one of the driver came to me and asked if I like hockey. I was like "yeah sure", that when he handed me 4 tickets to Friday's Rocket game (and also suggest me to use the shuttle for the game, as 10 buses will be available)!! The drive took 5 minutes, as he passed in small roads, and barely got any lights (beside when getting close to the venue). Dropped us at the beginning of the arena (kinda like the equivalent of Weldon/Main). Walked the 200m and got in.

After the show, walked about the same distance but on the other side, where the same 3 buses were waiting. Again after like 5 minutes the first one left (with pretty much the same 12 people), and again drove in smaller streets and within 5-7 minutes I was at my car (who btw there was no sign of any security or anyone), and by time I got in my car and prepare my stuff (around 5 minutes), the 2nd bus arrived with about another 15 people.

Now this was on a Tuesday night. Im sure it will be way different on Friday.

While Moncton might not have as big/organize transit system as Laval, Im sure they can come out with 2-3 buses during the week, and 5-6 on weekend for a shuttle service, with some incentive to encourage people of using it (free tickets to concerts/Wildcats game). Maybe they could use also use City Hall parkings (which is 750m from the Centre), and get less bus, but more frequent trips.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 3:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good observations.

I have long since come to the conclusion that one of the best things that the city (or Wildcats) could do regarding parking would be to organize a shuttle service between the coliseum parking lot and the new events centre. It would really only be a quick 5-7 minute drive straight down Millennium to Vaughan Harvey and Main to the new arena. I honestly think this would be a popular option, especially for people from NW Moncton or Riverview.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 3:52 PM

Knowing Moncton very well, people would bitch and howl over having to shuttle to the Events Centre - UNTIL they tried it.
THis sounds like a totally doable plan that would gain favour with centre-visitors if promoted heavily, if only they'd try it that one time and see for themselves how painless this quick shuttle service actually would be.
Hell, charge $5 for a two-way trip to defray the costs and away ya go.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:15 PM

Nice observations. While we know that the cities and the press do watch these boards, I would suggest you write those observations in an email and send them to the Moncton council members to let them know what they are being compared to.

Some of the decisions are (literally) set in stone now (like the boxes) but others are still mutable and should be changeable before the opening or soon after.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:48 PM

Yeah there must been a reason for the boxes location...I saw the Rogers K-Rock Centre (another project by Ellis), and they have boxes all around, so we can be sure that it's not a "mistake" in Moncton.

The padding will probably have to wait...but they could put some in the seats that will be used for the floor. At the same time...its an incentive to get Floor tickets. it's better to have a full floor, and less people in the Lower Bowl (it doesnt look good, but you can always tarp that), than sparse everywhere.

I'll see on Friday how the shuttle for an event of more than 2-3k goes, but if it goes as smoothly as last night, then it's definitely an option that Moncton should look for. It's not hard to setup: 4-5 buses for 3h total (90 minutes before and 90 minutes after). if it's true that doing Coliseum-Centre take less than 10 minutes (I feel like 10 is the magic number), then it's good. Plus add a few tickets of future events (we know that they are not going to be 10k at everyyy one of them).

Plus they can always play it as it goes...if theres no demand during the week...just put one bus.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:39 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
- Here, even with the metro station near by, people were still complaining about the lack of parking, thats why they decided to put a free shuttle from City Hall to the arena (approx same distance as Coliseum to Centre). Since it was my first time attending an event there, I decided to give it a shot.

I arrived there where there was maybe 5 cars there. I was greeted by 3 buses that were just waiting there. I got there and waited maybe 5 minutes before he drove (we ended up being like 12 in the bus), but while waiting, one of the driver came to me and asked if I like hockey. I was like "yeah sure", that when he handed me 4 tickets to Friday's Rocket game (and also suggest me to use the shuttle for the game, as 10 buses will be available)!! The drive took 5 minutes, as he passed in small roads, and barely got any lights (beside when getting close to the venue). Dropped us at the beginning of the arena (kinda like the equivalent of Weldon/Main). Walked the 200m and got in.

After the show, walked about the same distance but on the other side, where the same 3 buses were waiting. Again after like 5 minutes the first one left (with pretty much the same 12 people), and again drove in smaller streets and within 5-7 minutes I was at my car (who btw there was no sign of any security or anyone), and by time I got in my car and prepare my stuff (around 5 minutes), the 2nd bus arrived with about another 15 people.

Now this was on a Tuesday night. Im sure it will be way different on Friday.

While Moncton might not have as big/organize transit system as Laval, Im sure they can come out with 2-3 buses during the week, and 5-6 on weekend for a shuttle service, with some incentive to encourage people of using it (free tickets to concerts/Wildcats game). Maybe they could use also use City Hall parkings (which is 750m from the Centre), and get less bus, but more frequent trips.
I've previously mentioned the shuttle bus idea on here before - Ottawa utilizes it for TD Place and I know of a few other junior rinks that do the same. Ottawa was running shuttles from City Hall during the Women's World Cup and likely will again during the Grey Cup.

It's very easy to set up and relatively painless for those willing to use it. It's easier in the winter than walking 10-15 minutes to wherever you parked.

Quote:
Yeah there must been a reason for the boxes location...I saw the Rogers K-Rock Centre (another project by Ellis), and they have boxes all around, so we can be sure that it's not a "mistake" in Moncton.
The box setup in Kingston is pretty good, having used them a couple times. I'm sure Moncton's design is in-part inspired by it. I believe one end of the K-Rock Centre does not have boxes and they wrap around roughly 75% of the arena. Oshawa's rink is only on the sides without end boxes.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 3:07 PM

Article in Journal de Quebec about the 2019 Memorial Cup.

Basically it's what we were talking about earlier, it's probably going to be a 3way races between Moncton, Halifax and Saint John, but none of them has officially announced anything, and the deadline to announce their intention is in 2 weeks, and officially on January 15th.

The only "maybe" city would have been Chicoutimi (which was in the running back in 2015 before losing to Quebec City), but they are in rebuilding mode, and wont be ready to be competitive in 2019.

No matter who gets the Cup in 2019, you can bet that the 2 will probably be a top contender for the next one, as not a lot of Quebec cities can host the event, either because of arenas too small to generate a revenue, or they cant afford the 4 millions for hosting the event.

After Centre Videotron, the next biggest arena in Quebec is Rimouski with 5062.

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2017/...morial-en-2019

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 3:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

As much as I would love to see it in Moncton again in 2019 (the last Memorial Cup here was a fantastic experience), I honestly think it's Saint John's turn.......

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

As much as I would love to see it in Moncton again in 2019 (the last Memorial Cup here was a fantastic experience), I honestly think it's Saint John's turn.......
I would agree if Saint John had a roster that was respectable to compete next year but at this point looking at next year their roster could be even worse than it is this year especially if they trade Veleno

They just fired their head scout today, they don't have much in terms of high end 17/18 year olds this year other than Veleno/Dorio/Safin.

To me Moncton would get it if Halifax wasn't in the running, as much as the new building is hard to compete against its nearly impossible to beat Halifax out in a bid particularily where they haven't hosted for close to 20 years. They have around 2000 seats extra on Moncton regardless of it being an older building, a bigger city & is one of the top 3 programs in junior hockey producing 1st round NHL picks nearly every year.

The only way to me that Moncton gets it is if the bidding committee sees the shiny new building trumping everything else.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 7:38 PM

With the "25th Anniversary" tag, Halifax is the front runner for 2019.

Moncton could put their nomination pretty much any other time, and they would be a lock in front of pretty every much Q teams. Given the size of most arenas.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 2:49 AM

They got some lights on inside. Looks good when driving by. Watch video.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 4:40 PM

Is the inside webcam stuck or is there just nothing happening? It's been
the same shot for days.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer99 View Post
Is the inside webcam stuck or is there just nothing happening? It's been
the same shot for days.
It’s been like that for more than a week now, I’m not sure why.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 6:34 PM

There hasn't been a monthly update on the City website/Facebook page since October, and the usual bi-monthly media visit doesn't seem to have occurred either. Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing nice high-res shots of the place with seats fully installed and the ice surface no longer being a sea of boxes.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 11:00 PM

Not sure if there's merit for a brand new QMJHL thread this year, don't believe we had a 2016-2017 thread but thought I'd mention this since it's very exciting news for our beautiful new facility

Wildcats are expected to announce as early as tomorrow that Alex Khovanov will arrive and be in the lineup as soon as this weekend. He was in Russia dealing with Hepatitis A that he unfortanutely got while on a vacation down south. He was in the USA for some final tests and sounds like he is 100%. If he is playing this weekend it I recommend anyone one these forums with interest in junior hockey to come check it out. Having a superstar to show off in the events centre (along with Pelletier who is a superstar in the making) is a key to maintaining interest & ticket sales beyond year 1.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces