HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 2:33 AM
An Optimistic Realist

This just keeps getting better and better.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 2:34 AM

The more I'm looking at the glass at the base as moe is added, and from farther off, the more I'm beginning to sense an almost ceramic glazed vibe to it.
We haven't yet apparently found out what the lighting down there's going to do yet. How the LED will go at both extremes of the building will no doubt be something to see. It'll be just as good as, though, (and hopefully better than) the "dueling psycho-lightsabers" at BofA and 4XSQ.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 2:43 AM

Look what's on the Yankees page(they need to update it though)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
Hopefully soon the blue "cocoon" will go away as well. Than we'll know we're really nearing the finish line!
South side of blue cacoon is scheduled to come down saturday if winds are low. 4 sections if don't lose crane time due to wind.

alan

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 4:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
In my opinion One World Trade Center's observation deck should have the same name (Top of the World Observatory) and style as the one in the South Tower of the original World Trade Center before 9/11. Anything else would be rather disrespectful because it erases the history of the site. It shouldn't be different. Why are we trying to pretend 9/11 never happened?

Here is the South Tower's observation deck. Note the difference between this and the videos above.

Video Link
It's not the same space, the tower is on a footprint not previously occupied by either tower.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 4:58 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
Yep.
They should use commodore 64 and not modern pc in One World Center
Haha, you just read my mind... when I saw the thread was up to page 1541 the first thing I thought of was the old Commodore 1541 disk drive... pictured in your post

I don't think they actually used them in the old observation deck did they? Lol, I was there in 1987 and I don't remember any computers at all up there, all I remember is the old observation deck had a kind of cheesy 70s vibe, although needless to say the view was terrific (and it's great to see it again in all these new posts).

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
i just can't deal with the base, it just doesn't go with the rest of the glass . The shade of color it emits vis a vis the rest of the tower is just not happening. I guess if we focus on floors 20-105 we are good, just make believe the base that the concoction on the top arent there and we're good
I found the base cladding to be jarring as more was filled in. The cohesiveness just wasn't there, but then I realized that that this is not the final form of the base. The final look will have the glass protruding out in vertical fins, which should turn out looking quite nice; guess they are waiting for all the work to be done before adjusting the glass fins.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
*sigh* ...the never-ending whining and complaining about every aspect of the building. If you can't deal with it, then you don't have to follow the progress anymore! Looking at the building while trying to pretend that parts of it don't exist is just moronic.
hey Patrick lighten up. I've watched the damn thing go up since it was below street level and that's my opinion and i have a right to post it. I'm not on here constantly complaining about anything, in fact, the building itself i think is fabulous but they struck out with the spear on the top and the base but as someone else with a bit more tact than you that posted above said, it's incomplete so we will wait to see what it looks like when completed, maybe then it will blend with the rest of the glass. As far as pretending the thing on the top and the base not being there, it was a joke, man

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 12:08 PM

With three rings growing up the antenna seems much more beautiful.

It 's impressive how the provisional rings between the blocks of the antenna are absolutely invasive, even from far, in the aesthetics of the antenna.
I'm impatient to see them cut off they are ugly!!!

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
In my opinion One World Trade Center's observation deck should have the same name (Top of the World Observatory) and style as the one in the South Tower of the original World Trade Center before 9/11. Anything else would be rather disrespectful because it erases the history of the site. It shouldn't be different. Why are we trying to pretend 9/11 never happened?
Yes, I agree. Which is exacly why Manhattan is still a village with 2 churches. Oh wait, no it is not.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Oh my god, that shot... Old meets new.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibears85 View Post
All black netting is gone in some parts of the WTC
Awww, I'm gonna miss the black netting! I know, I know, weird thing to miss. Lol. It will be really nice to finally see a completed exterior at long last. I'm coming back to NYC next month... I'm curious as to how much of the vertical gap on the west side will have been cladded by then. Then it'll feel really real for me, lol.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 5:15 PM

Not the best quality, but from this angel you can see that the blue netting is gone in some parts... first time I saw that steel since it was first put up in july...

Also, how much blue netting is suppose to be down today?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 5:32 PM

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 5:34 PM

1WTC Roof

I find the circular structures on the roof to be a very cool counter point to the massive sleek already iconic triangles. Also celebrating the revelation of a triangular tip with the partial removal of the cocoon.

Last edited by Puzzlecraft; Apr 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM. Reason: Grammar

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 5:38 PM

Chibears85 diagram

One quibble with your otherwise excellent diagram - the bottom row of glass on each triangular section has alternating glass panels installed, not solid.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PZelda View Post
Oh my god, that shot... Old meets new.
U know, I understand ur enthusiasm, but for me - when I look down a block like that (Wall Street and street in that area_ - I'm expecting to see the WTC. For the new generation, it's not so much like that for them, but for those off us (or should I say myself) when I/we c the replacement structure, the emotional scares are ever-present. It's a reminder that their are still people that hate us out there. And that they will do whatever they have to disrupt my way of life.
I think 1 WTC is a beautiful building, but lossing the old buildings is like loosing a love one to a certain extentd...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibears85 View Post
Not the best quality, but from this angel you can see that the blue netting is gone in some parts... first time I saw that steel since it was first put up in july...

Also, how much blue netting is suppose to be down today?
hoping for 4 sections, we will see, winded out early this am.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 6:01 PM
Sukaitsuri

Do you know when they expect to install the white dishes on the ring ?
The ring looks like too much "skeleton", without the dishes...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive