HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 11:56 PM

As someone already suggested before, it seems like those guy wires on the mast are not necessary - since the entire thing is up now. Maybe they were just needed if the radome would have been installed?

I don't expect the beacon to be turned on randomly any time soon. I'm sure they'll want to make another event out of this in a few weeks and bring back the building in the press... again.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
As someone already suggested before, it seems like those guy wires on the mast are not necessary - since the entire thing is up now. Maybe they were just needed if the radome would have been installed?

I don't expect the beacon to be turned on randomly any time soon. I'm sure they'll want to make another event out of this in a few weeks and bring back the building in the press... again.
There's a white light blinking right now so I imagine everything the beacon needs is already wired up

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 12:09 AM

Ah man, that last GoPro video is amazing. Stick it in high def / full screen and you'll feel the height! wow.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 12:19 AM

Was looking at recordings of my local NBC News (KUSA 9 Denver) and saw they talked about 1WTC at 5:50am MST.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 12:48 AM

So cool to see the red aviation light pulsing on top of the spire out of my window for the first time. Like the building just got a heartbeat

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 12:51 AM
Everywhere all at once

Damn. What an amazing era and what an incredible nation.

...but wait, what are we all going to do with our lives now?

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 12:52 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
All these photos are epic. The WTC and NYC are official back and moving forward as of today.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Damn. What an amazing era and what an incredible nation.

...but wait, what are we all going to do with our lives now?
Watch 3WTC, 2WTC, and 5WTC rise

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, that is rare. The radome would certainly give more wind resistance, maybe they recalculate it when they decided not to add the radome and it turned out that it was no longer neccesary.
It also could be that it is only neccesary in case of very strong, hurricane-type kind of wind, that are not expected yet, so they will begin to add the guy wires in the next weeks. The time will tell.

Quote:
I think the same. I do think they will do a ceremony for this, with Obama pressing the switch either in New York itself or from the White House (as they did when they inaugurated the ESB and the president Herbert Hoover turned on its lights from Washington)
My guess is next september 11th (or the night before) It may look like a long time, but I don't think it depends on when the light is operative, that could happen next week. If they do a Ceremony to light up the beacon, as I think they will do, they are likely to choose a significative date, and there is no one more significative than september 11th for that matter. And another thing to considerate, I don't think they'd do a big ceremony for turning on the beacon, with the two cranes up there. Until september 11th, they have enough time to dismantle the cranes and finish the cladding, so the tower will look finished from the oustside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
Amazing view of the lift from a GoPro camera - Port Authority NY/NJ Video:

Video Link

Amazing video, thanks for posting. BTW It is cool to look at in video, but I don't think that I could be up there in that tiny tiny platform

Some captures of it

Half way up

All the way up

Almost there

In place!

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibears85 View Post
Watch 3WTC, 2WTC, and 5WTC rise
... And 432 Park Avenue, 225 West 57th, Hudson Yards and others!

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 1:26 AM

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what makes a spire a spire and an antenna an antenna?
This looks to me average joe shmoe like and antenna.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheadroom View Post
There's a white light blinking right now so I imagine everything the beacon needs is already wired up
Just the aviation white strobe light and night red aviation beacon are hooked up today so that the crane boom doesn't have to be the aircraft warning light for spire. The goal was to get it done within 48 hrs and five star local 3 electricians got it done since weather is rain on Saturday in NYC. The led beacon and led up-lighting needs weeks more work to install /wire plus racks of equipment to control them inside the building. But the day is coming when it will be done and the spire lit and it will be spectacular.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 1:44 AM

It would have be nice if they lit up One World Trade Center in red, white, and blue in honor of it becoming the tallest building in the United States.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 1:49 AM

Guys, I have mixed feelings about what I'm about to say, but here it comes. I'm going to completely scrap my model of the communication rings and spire. Look out for V3 in June. The gopro video alone gives me more information (above the tube stock framed sections) than every photo combined up to this point. In addition, the model I have is far too wide when compared to the actual spire, and the plates are way too thick. The only things that will be recycled are the platforms (I can use the grid pattern already modeled) and the very top beacon piece (I made this one from plans, so it is accurate). I will be using a different computer and I will make complete renderings of the tower's exterior, base included, with the newly modeled spire and rings. I thank the user who made screen grabs of the video, and also the photographers for the PA facebook page for taking detailed images of the top sections, especially the square section.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losername View Post
Forgive me for my ignorance, but what makes a spire a spire and an antenna an antenna?
This looks to me average joe shmoe like and antenna.
A spire is an architectural, decorative element, with no other purpose than giving the building a definite image. Some of the oldest spires were the ones of the pointy towers of Gothic Cathedrals made to look them taller and "reach the sky".
An antenna is a transmiter-receiver device. In the case of buildings, to be considered an antenna it has to have some transmitting devices (what we call antennas in buildings are no real antennas, they are poles with the real antennas attached to it)
For example the spire of the Bank Of America Tower looks exactly like an antenna, but it doesn't have any transmitting devices attached to it, so it is not an antenna, even if it looks like one, it is a Spire.

In the case of WTC the element that they finished today is both an spire and an antenna. It will have some transmitting devices, but it was architecturally planned from the very beggining, since the building was called Freedom Tower and they proposed a spire that resembles the torch of the Statue of Liberty. All that ambiguity, of being both an antenna an a spire, drives us to all the discussion around it.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 2:05 AM

The radome wouldn't have meant more wind load. The turbulence caused by the mast structure will actually mean a higher and more unpredictable peak load. The cladding would have made the mast much more aerodynamic. Hurricane season isn't officially till June 1 and they don't seriously expect trouble for at least a month after that.
The guys aren't so much to increase mast strength. They're to move the load from the center of the roof to the outer part where the ring is mounted. It keeps them from having to add sub roof structure to handle the side loads.
The guys also help insure that a collision with a plane will take the mast out in the middle and reduce building structure damage.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 2:25 AM

Thank you for your explanation.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
The radome wouldn't have meant more wind load. The turbulence caused by the mast structure will actually mean a higher and more unpredictable peak load. The cladding would have made the mast much more aerodynamic. Hurricane season isn't officially till June 1 and they don't seriously expect trouble for at least a month after that.
The guys aren't so much to increase mast strength. They're to move the load from the center of the roof to the outer part where the ring is mounted. It keeps them from having to add sub roof structure to handle the side loads.
The guys also help insure that a collision with a plane will take the mast out in the middle and reduce building structure damage.
the guys would also reduce the sway of the structure.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 3:43 AM

Well done!!! It's amazing!!! You're almost completely!

Looking forward to it. From now on, they won't have anymore problem another 9/11 attacks again. The entire building is success.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 4:26 AM

Wow looks great! It's finally here!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive