HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
It continues to evolve, and it is an interesting place. It just isn't THAT interesting as the author of the Huff Post piece very puckishly points out.
Forgive me if I sound so argumentative, but these are legitimate questions I'd like for someone to help me understand. Who even says Austin is THAT interesting? And who even said that Austin is a mecca of a city with diversity and urbanism and museums and beaches and skyscrapers and all that hoopla? And what is it that incites such contrary if someone says that Austin is a heck of a cool town with friendly people and nice place to live and chill with friends, et al? How is that even hype? I'd like to think that people in Austin are perfectly honest about their town. They know its not Houston, San Francisco or Portland, but they like it there more than any of those cities. They like it because of the communities they've established, the creative culture, the ability that artists can move there and afford it. They like it because there are like-minded people with same interests. Everyone is a friend of everyone. That is special to Austin and very rarely do you find that in other cities. How is that hype?

I'd just like to know what people are talking about, that is all. It seems to be that with all these claims being made about Austin, Austin still is in fact a very underrated place.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 9:04 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I agree 100%

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Forgive me if I sound so argumentative, but these are legitimate questions I'd like for someone to help me understand. Who even says Austin is THAT interesting? And who even said that Austin is a mecca of a city with diversity and urbanism and museums and beaches and skyscrapers and all that hoopla? And what is it that incites such contrary if someone says that Austin is a heck of a cool town with friendly people and nice place to live and chill with friends, et al? How is that even hype? I'd like to think that people in Austin are perfectly honest about their town. They know its not Houston, San Francisco or Portland, but they like it there more than any of those cities. They like it because of the communities they've established, the creative culture, the ability that artists can move there and afford it. They like it because there are like-minded people with same interests. Everyone is a friend of everyone. That is special to Austin and very rarely do you find that in other cities. How is that hype?

I'd just like to know what people are talking about, that is all. It seems to be that with all these claims being made about Austin, Austin still is in fact a very underrated place.
Your first question to me regarded how Austin might be less cozy than it once was. I answered that question rather convincingly from my point of view. You then asked me whether or not I wanted Austin to grow and also how could I expect it to grow and still remain "cozy". I think I did pretty well with that set of questions also. At this point I am dropping out of this conversation because you keep changing the topic.

I love cities. I have loved cities since I was a young child. I have lived all over this country during my tenure on this planet in some very large and important cities and some smaller less important cities. I have been somewhat critical of all of them in one way or another. No city (including Austin) is perfect, and it is no crime to point out problems or deficiencies when I think they exist. One of the things I rather disliked about SF (lived there for 8 years) was the fact that contrarian opinions about The City were regarded as suspect and somehow politically incorrect. There are those in Austin today who tend to react in a similar manner when anybody is critical of the place in any way, shape, or form. I react strongly when confronted by the "thought police" in the real world or on SSP. I admit that it is sometimes kind of fun to stir up the hornet's nest. That is what the author of the Huff Post article was doing as well. It has been interesting to see how many people have reposted the article on Facebook in the past few days. Much to my surprise, I am finding a lot of local folks seem to share similar opinions or at least find the article amusing for one reason or another.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Your first question to me regarded how Austin might be less cozy than it once was. I answered that question rather convincingly from my point of view. You then asked me whether or not I wanted Austin to grow and also how could I expect it to grow and still remain "cozy". I think I did pretty well with that set of questions also. At this point I am dropping out of this conversation because you keep changing the topic.
Meh, why can't people just have fun with discussions? I'm simply speaking about this in general terms. I'm not singling you out here so don't take it personally. Let's just have fun.

I asked how is it that many people who have grown "jaded" or "disillusioned" by Austin's growth because it was once "cozy", also complain that there's not much to do like a big city. Do you not see the contradiction there? And why is it argumentative? It's just a question. I'm still not sure though how you answered that question.

Quote:
I love cities. I have loved cities since I was a young child. I have lived all over this country during my tenure on this planet in some very large and important cities and some smaller less important cities. I have been somewhat critical of all of them in one way or another. No city (including Austin) is perfect and it is no crime to point out problems or deficiencies when I think they exist
Again, who even said Austin is perfect? And I have no problem with anyone pointing out its deficiencies. I'm speaking about people's attitudes towards Austin in general. They'll say things like my friends here in SF that Austin is just growing too much with all those condos and all the rich californians are moving into Austin making it suck etc... yet they live in a city like San Francisco.I mean do I need to elaborate on how that perspective simply doesn't make sense? I'm not saying that you do this. I'm just speaking in general terms. Why would anybody say ridiculous things like that about any city? Why can't people just let others like cities for what they are? Truth is not everyone experiences the same things... and while some things may be subjective, there are certain things that are cold hard facts, like San Antonio having waaaaaayy better tex-mex food than Austin. (oooh, i'm sure many here are annoyed with me saying that, but its true.)

And I agree with you about SF. It annoys me when people talk so bad about Los Angeles here when LA beats SF on so many things and in so many levels. People here in SF aren't as nice as people wanna say. So don't think that I'm just defending Austin here... I see the hypocrisy just about everywhere.

Quote:
One of the things I rather disliked about SF (lived there for 8 years) was the fact that contrarian opinions about The City were regarded as suspect and somehow politically incorrect. There are those in Austin today who tend to react in a similar manner when anybody is critical of the place in any way, shape, or form. I react strongly when confronted by the "thought police" in the real world or on SSP. I admit that it is sometimes kind of fun to stir up the hornet's nest. That is what the author of the Huff Post article was doing as well. It has been interesting to see how many people have reposted the article on Facebook in the past few days. Much to my surprise, I am finding a lot of local folks seem to share similar opinions or at least find the article amusing for one reason or another.
Okay so you get it. You understand the contrarious opinions. I see that about many Austinites as I've already pointed out but in different ways that you have seemed to notice. I understand that people will always be people but hey, there's nothing wrong with pointing out these contradictions.

Like I said... the people that like Austin to death, like it for very personal reasons that takes someone to live there and experience it to understand what makes Austin special to many. I get that its not for everyone. I totally get that... but that doesn't mean that just because Austin becomes a hotspot for creative types where many can culminate to express their similar interests and come to some arbitrary agreement that its an awesome place does not make it an overrated city. And perhaps the fact that many of your facebook friends having not much to say in opposition to the HuffPo post, is indicative that Austin really isn't as overrated as you may assume.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
This guy names Austin the #1 most overrated destination.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/David%...b_3030348.html
Yup. Austin's a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit.

It's charms aren't readily apparent to a casual tourist.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 8:41 AM
Everywhere all at once

Well, for arguments sake, I visited Austin about a year and a half ago for the first time and was floored enough that I plan on moving there before the end of the year. Maybe I'm just a little biased because I currently live in the suburban-as-all-hell rear end of New York City, which itself feels like the most stressful place on the planet sometimes. I think the secret is (and I believe this is true of every destination), if you visit, hang with the locals. They give you the real experience. That's what I did and it was an Austin I thoroughly enjoyed.

Not to mention that tons of tourists, several from the Lone Star State, pass through my job every day (restaurant in Times Square), and every time I tell them I want to move to Austin, they say some version of: "it's the only place in Texas worth going to/living in/etc." That's enough for me

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 3:40 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

What is so outrageous about the article to me is the assumption that the people in Houston are less stressed and friendlier. Really? I have a very hard time seeing that. Austin is trying too hard to be different?? We are who we are as a city so I wouldn't say we are trying to be anything but Austin. Oh and his attitude to Austin becoming a major player is already incorrect if he has followed any news about Austin.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Well, for arguments sake, I visited Austin about a year and a half ago for the first time and was floored enough that I plan on moving there before the end of the year. Maybe I'm just a little biased because I currently live in the suburban-as-all-hell rear end of New York City, which itself feels like the most stressful place on the planet sometimes. I think the secret is (and I believe this is true of every destination), if you visit, hang with the locals. They give you the real experience. That's what I did and it was an Austin I thoroughly enjoyed.

Not to mention that tons of tourists, several from the Lone Star State, pass through my job every day (restaurant in Times Square), and every time I tell them I want to move to Austin, they say some version of: "it's the only place in Texas worth going to/living in/etc." That's enough for me
I can certainly understand how Austin would appeal to a Staten Island resident, but it is good to remember that as a Staten Islander you have ready access to what is arguably the world's greatest city simply by taking the ferry or crossing the Verrazano Bridge. When you want a legitimate big city experience in Austin, you pretty much have to head for the airport. I'd like to add that I disagree that Austin is the ONLY place to live or visit in Texas. It is just the BEST place to live or visit in Texas. There is a distinction to be made.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 8:18 PM

I wouldn't even agree that Austin is the best place to visit. After all it is what prompted this discussion in the first place. I very much enjoy my visits to Houston and San Antonio.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
And Austin is well on its way up and obviously with the press and exposure we have received this past week plus with Google's announcement today and surprisingly AT&T as well, believe me most cities in this country are quite envious of Austin right now.

Okay I'm done lol just was shocked at the majority of the reactions to that article. I'm sorry but I am not in the same boat.
Jdawgboy I nominate you ambassador to Austin.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 3:22 AM

...and I nominate JD'Man as the biggest supporter of Austin since the passing of Stephen F. Austin. Maybe there will be a spot for him in the Texas State Cemetery when the time comes.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 8:05 PM

We're #1! We're#1! We're#1!

...and we're not alone. San Antonio is 4, Houston is 5 and Dallas/FtWorth is 8

The Top 12 American Boomtowns
By Bloomberg Rankings and Nikhil Hutheesing - Apr 24, 2013 9:48 AM CT

Austin-Round Rock, Texas
2007 Population: 1,598,161
2011 Population: 1,783,519
Percent Change: 11.60
GDP Compound Annual Growth: 3.26%

Austinites proudly wear T-shirts that say “Keep Austin Weird” -- something of a challenge as the city and surrounding areas grow in leaps and bounds. The Austin area, home of the South by Southwest festival and Dell Inc., has an unemployment rate of 5.4 percent, compared with 7.8 percent for the nation. Its population continued to rise in 2012, to 1.8 million, and the area is supposed to generate about 25,000 new jobs in 2013, according to Austin-based Angelou Economics. A high-tech job boost will come from Apple Inc., which is expanding its Austin campus with a new, 1 million-square-foot operations center that will be second in size only to its Cupertino (California) headquarters.

-==-=---=
The whole article is here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/money-gallery/2013-04-24/the-top-12-american-boomtowns.html#slide1

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 7:47 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Jdawgboy I nominate you ambassador to Austin.
I would gladly accept and travel the world representing our fair city.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 7:49 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
...and I nominate JD'Man as the biggest supporter of Austin since the passing of Stephen F. Austin. Maybe there will be a spot for him in the Texas State Cemetery when the time comes.
Yay, that too! I'm the Austin ambassadorial Booster to tell the would how wonderful this city is!!

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 9:18 PM

Best U.S. Cities for Affordable Getaways

Best U.S. Cities for Affordable Getaways
By Katrina Brown Hunt | Travel+Leisure – Fri, May 17, 2013 3:24 PM EDT

No. 3 San Antonio,Texas
No. 7 Houston
No. 9 Austin, Texas
: Many of the Texas capital’s diversions are geared toward local college students and young techie types. Among the best food trucks, for instance, is Gourdough’s on South Lamar, which may finally legitimize the donut as a complete meal: its Boss Hog donut ($5.50) is topped with pulled pork, potato salad, and honey BBQ sauce. Meanwhile, one of the most classic, all-ages Austin experiences costs just $3: taking a dip in Barton Springs in Zilker Park; it’s great for some free and colorful people-watching.

http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/best-u...222549955.html

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 2:29 AM
~Hook'em~

I think we all know what they really mean by "people-watching" at Barton Springs.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 10:53 AM
Meh

The front page of the Business Journal's website under a photo of Austin's skyline: "This city is as good as it gets in today's economy"

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...nation-in.html
Quote:
May 22, 2013, 2:54pm EDT
Austin continues to lead the nation in economic strength

G. Scott Thomas

Austin is once again the top-rated market in the On Numbers Economic Index.
Texas' capital region is No. 1 in May's index, marking its fourth straight month atop the standings.

The On Numbers Economic Index measures the relative vitality of 102 major markets with populations of more than 500,000.

Austin has occupied first place for five of the past six months. The only exception was January, when Oklahoma City briefly slipped into the top spot.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 4:20 AM

Because I like RIBS!!

America's Best Ribs
http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/am...164300852.html

7) City Market, Luling, Texas City Market is one of Texas' great barbecue joints and a true claim to fame for the city of Luling; you'd be hard-pressed to find better brisket, and the ribs are simply out of this world. It's a comfortable, air-conditioned restaurant (a nice change of pace from some of the state's more rustic establishments), and while the sauce is some of the best you'll ever have, it's completely unnecessary on these beautifully smoky ribs that really let the meat speak for itself.

5) Franklin Barbecue, Austin, Texas Aaron Franklin must be some kind of sorcerer. What started as a trailer in 2009 quickly became one of the most revered spots in all of 'cuedom, and loyalists and pilgrims all line up outside the newish building's front door for hours on end, every day. No visit is complete without sampling some of the impossibly tender ribs, which are peppery and with a well-caramelized bark. You have your choice of slathering on three sauces (espresso-based, vinegar-based, or a sweeter variety), but as is usually the case with barbecue this good, none is necessary.

3) The Salt Lick, Driftwood, Texas Both the beef and pork ribs from this Texas institution, Alan Richman's favorite, are good enough to bring you to tears. There's just something about the meat, the smoke, and the shady, tree-filled setting that combine for a transcendental barbecue experience. These ribs are mopped as they smoke on a giant central pit, and the pork ones emerge tender and pull clean from the bone without falling off it, right in that sweet spot. The beef ribs (go for double-cut if you're feeling especially macho), which are the stuff of dreams even without a drop of sauce, will have you strategizing your return visit even before you leave. Don't forget to bring a long a six-pack; they'll put it on ice for you. Now that's hospitality.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 4:52 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Not listing the beef ribs at Mueller's on East 6th is a huge swing and a miss.

Listing Salt Lick over City Market is another one that makes me question the entire list.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Not listing the beef ribs at Mueller's on East 6th is a huge swing and a miss.

Listing Salt Lick over City Market is another one that makes me question the entire list.
I wonder, do these critics go undercover or no? It could just be possible that Salt Lick usually doesn't give a damn, but can still pull out the magic for guests.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin