Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 8:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

$132.9 (London, the duller one)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 10:33 PM
Mooderator

$1.40 -ish in Gattawa area

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 12:10 AM

$165.9 in Timmins ON.

That's the Esso station in my neighbourhood. Some stations in Timmins are a cent or two higher. The price has changed very little over the last 2-3 months. We have the highest price of any city in Ontario.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 12:24 AM
菠蘿油

I don't have a car and gas is included in my carshare membership, so I normally don't pay attention. But I just checked prices on Google Maps and it's $1.50 at the Petro-Can near me and $1.45 at the Esso about 2km away. Is it normal for there to be such a big discrepancy in prices even in the same area?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 12:26 AM

$1.28 at my usual station. Great to finally see prices down to something normal ish after the last year or two.

I was just in the US (Arizona and Nevada) and paid around $3.69 a gallon there, which is surprisingly actually more, around $1.32 CAD.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I don't have a car and gas is included in my carshare membership, so I normally don't pay attention. But I just checked prices on Google Maps and it's $1.50 at the Petro-Can near me and $1.45 at the Esso about 2km away. Is it normal for there to be such a big discrepancy in prices even in the same area?
5 cents is normal, yea. It can be a lot more if you aren’t careful actually. Where I was in Arizona had gas for $4.99 ($1.79 CAD/L) on one side of the interstate and $3.69 ($1.32CAD/L) on the other!

I have a local station that is usually consistently a few cents cheaper than the rest, and often 5-10 cents cheaper than the more expensive stations in my area.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 12:32 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

We are at $1.53.9 now in Vancouver/downtown/central; it's the lowest I've seen it lately.

I'm sure we have so many Teslas, etc. it must be impacting business considerably.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 1:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The spread between regular gas stations and Costco gas bars are often 10 cents or more a litre in London.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 1:58 PM

134.9 in Toronto but that could always go up for gas

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 2:56 PM

1.21 -1.36 in Edmonton. Costco's are showing 1.19.

Ft Mac was 1.51 last week.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
5 cents is normal, yea. It can be a lot more if you aren’t careful actually. Where I was in Arizona had gas for $4.99 ($1.79 CAD/L) on one side of the interstate and $3.69 ($1.32CAD/L) on the other!

I have a local station that is usually consistently a few cents cheaper than the rest, and often 5-10 cents cheaper than the more expensive stations in my area.
I’ve always heard that in the US the various brands have actually different gasoline, so it makes sense that the prices would vary (since quality does).

Conversely, here, all the gas comes from the exact same refinery regardless of the brand of the gas station, so the prices are always identical everywhere (some stations might try to have it lower by a cent or two to attract customers), except occasional during a short window where a station has adapted to the new price and another hasn’t yet done it, but then the next day, like clockwork, everyone has the same price again.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 3:18 PM

In the Arizona case, it was a touristy location so I think it was just gouging by a few stations leading to a touristy area, while the station on the other side of the highway catered to the more standard interstate-traveler. That kind of spread is exceptional even in the US.

And yes - a few stations often run on thinner margins and offer a slightly lower price as a result, specifically several brands (In Ontario, Husky, Pioneer, and Ultramar are typically a bit cheaper). Generally all the mainline brands are very similar in pricing, with a handful of exceptions.

Hamilton is a sort of odd place as it's generally a few cents per litre cheaper than the GTA stations, though some stations still charge the "full" GTA price. This means there is a bit more variation than a typical area.

Somewhere like Mississauga outside of a few discount stations generally has very consistent pricing though.

Gas stations do generally drop their prices outside of rush hour, particularly in the evenings. So if you know you are going to be driving in off-peak times try to fill up then to save a few bucks.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
In the Arizona case, it was a touristy location so I think it was just gouging by a few stations leading to a touristy area, while the station on the other side of the highway catered to the more standard interstate-traveler. That kind of spread is exceptional even in the US.

And yes - a few stations often run on thinner margins and offer a slightly lower price as a result, specifically several brands (In Ontario, Husky, Pioneer, and Ultramar are typically a bit cheaper). Generally all the mainline brands are very similar in pricing, with a handful of exceptions.

Hamilton is a sort of odd place as it's generally a few cents per litre cheaper than the GTA stations, though some stations still charge the "full" GTA price. This means there is a bit more variation than a typical area.

Somewhere like Mississauga outside of a few discount stations generally has very consistent pricing though.

Gas stations do generally drop their prices outside of rush hour, particularly in the evenings. So if you know you are going to be driving in off-peak times try to fill up then to save a few bucks.
I often used to fill up at an Esso in Ancaster just off the 403 when travelling between Toronto and London, it was routinely a few cents cheaper than the gas stations elsewhere in Hamilton as well as Brantford.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 6:21 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I often used to fill up at an Esso in Ancaster just off the 403 when travelling between Toronto and London, it was routinely a few cents cheaper than the gas stations elsewhere in Hamilton as well as Brantford.
Also nearby to Ancaster, the gas stations on Highway 6 are usually a few cents cheaper than others in the area.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 2:03 AM
Closed account

134.9 at the shell by my house

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 2:33 AM

The gas in the Lower Mainland comes from a refinery just over the border in Washington state. I filled up down there last weekend, it worked out to 1.27 Cdn/Litre.

Gas around here is around 155.9 - 161.9

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada