HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 2:18 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

found this just now a curent shot of bridgemans space looks sweet i havent been in that building since befor that pawn shop closed

http://www.icdevelopment.ca/

anyhow goes back to hunting...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 2:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 2:47 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
July 5, 1953.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 2:51 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

ok

wow i had no idea this place burnt down explanies the weird design inside it lol

oo even a beer fire lol the one on redwood?

Bulman Block at Albert and Bannatyne Oct. 11, 1904

The Radford-Wright fire 6 dead, 9 injured. mar 9 1912

http://www.winnipegfiremuseum.ca/museum.htm

Last edited by 1ajs; Jan 21, 2008 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 3:13 AM
Starring as himself

I remember that; some nutcase arsonist. Note the Winnipeg 1874-1974 Centennial things on the light standards.

I remember those icicles. That was perhaps the last great fire of the pre-smoke detector era. So many people died in there. And one of the greatest apartment buildings in the city was lost. It would look pretty good there now instead of that prefab Wawanesa highrise.

I just made up that date, Adrian. I have no idea although there is a car visible that looks like maybe 1952, plus or minus a few years. The catalogue it's from says that the photos mostly came from the 50s and 60s, I think.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 3:16 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

aww ok lol

shame that apratment block was lost wanawas is on the surface lot next to it lol that buildings site is still a surface lot........ lol

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 3:19 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

:o
stolen from andys flickr page lol

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 5:28 AM
the first stamp is free

I swear, if I could look at old pictures all day of familiar areas and compare past and present - I would be a very content person.

Is there some job that pays you to do this...? If so, I think I missed my calling in life.

Thanks for posting this stuff guys.

I took the time to research my house in Wolesley last year. It was pretty cool getting copies of the original building permit, plumbing permit and finding out that the architect (V.W. Horwood) of my very modest house was also helped design many more prominent buildings in the city (Law Courts, old UofM buildings, St. Boniface civic buildings and firehall).

I also searched and found the obituary for the original owner of our house and discovered that she was a "Winnipeg Pioneer", who had moved to the city in the 1860's... of course I also found out that she died in our house, which is kinda spooky, but serves me right for looking it up in the first place...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 2:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i've been trying to find pics of my house from way back never been succesfull :S

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 2:56 PM
the first stamp is free

^ pictures are almost impossible. The MB archives have a bunch that you can search based on street names, so if you have an afternoon it's a cool place to search through.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 3:02 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
i've been trying to find pics of my house from way back never been succesfull :S
Me, too. Adrian, you should see the photo shown 58 seconds intothis youtube clip. Amazingly, the house is 60 Hallet--the brown stucco one. Imagine when all of the houses on our street had this level of color and ornamentation...

That's interesting about the first occupant of your house, Drew. When my house was built in 1882, a Mr. Nathaniel Boyd lived there, of the lumber firm Boyd & Crowe, which was at the corner of Point Douglas Avenue and Maple Street. His partner Mr. Crowe lived what was then next door to Boyd. I don't know what happened to Boyd, but he didn't live here for long. I did manage to find that he lived in a boarding house on Mary (Martha) Street prior to building this place.

Another personal note, here is a caracature of my great-great-grandfather, R.N. Lyons, which appeared in the "Manitobans As We See 'em" booklet published in 1909.

Ironically perhaps, my great-great-grandfather owned much of the land in what is now Whyte Ridge.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 3:03 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ pictures are almost impossible. The MB archives have a bunch that you can search based on street names, so if you have an afternoon it's a cool place to search through.
already spent a day there...........

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 3:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

holy crap :o if that house looked like that i wonder what mine looked like... and the brick house next to me and the one that was next to it on nicks lot lol (nick is a old gentalman on our street)

i could shoot my mother though when she let go of her studio with all her stuff in it there was a envilope of negitives from austin street that were found when when one of the niebors was renovating they gave me was neat that big duplex has not changed much over the years... had a photo of it with people all siting out on the portch lol and photos of a house under construction and one getting a portch added to it...

Last edited by 1ajs; Jan 21, 2008 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 1:48 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I swear, if I could look at old pictures all day of familiar areas and compare past and present - I would be a very content person.

Is there some job that pays you to do this...? If so, I think I missed my calling in life.

Thanks for posting this stuff guys.

I took the time to research my house in Wolesley last year. It was pretty cool getting copies of the original building permit, plumbing permit and finding out that the architect (V.W. Horwood) of my very modest house was also helped design many more prominent buildings in the city (Law Courts, old UofM buildings, St. Boniface civic buildings and firehall).

I also searched and found the obituary for the original owner of our house and discovered that she was a "Winnipeg Pioneer", who had moved to the city in the 1860's... of course I also found out that she died in our house, which is kinda spooky, but serves me right for looking it up in the first place...
You could always work in the archives .. if thats your thing.

I have spent many days the the Hudson Bay archives .. including researching 2 papers.. and really think its one the the coolest places to spend an afternoon. That company has such an interesting history... and Winnipeg played such a big part of it.

I am sure the University archievs are just as interesting.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:05 AM
Starring as himself

Here's a proposal from 1910 to expand the legislature. This was dropped fairly quickly in favour of a plan to build an entirely new building. There are also some other typical bits of construction news that would have been in the Winnipeg Construction 1910 thread if it had existed:

From 1906, another article mentioning the shift to Portage Avenue as the main commercial thoroughfare:

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:27 AM
Starring as himself

The darker side of "rapid transit":

The boy referred to in the first article turns out to be the son of Lewis B. Foote, the famous photographer and chronicler of Winnipeg life, then living at 47 Dagmar.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 8:29 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Does anyone have a guess as to why people would publicly advertise what hotel they were staying at in the city? Was this done for prostitution purposes?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 8:51 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
holy crap :o if that house looked like that i wonder what mine looked like... and the brick house next to me and the one that was next to it on nicks lot lol (nick is a old gentalman on our street)
Whats the # of that house? lol i used to live at 90 hallet.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 1:06 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Does anyone have a guess as to why people would publicly advertise what hotel they were staying at in the city? Was this done for prostitution purposes?
Haha.

No. The people mentioned, having arrived in the city, asked the Free Press to note their arrival so that their friends or business associates would know where to find them. Also, you have to remember that in 1906 Winnipeg was full of tens of thousands of new arrivals from all over Canada and the U.S., as well as Europe. Someone coming to town from almost any town or village in eastern Canada, for example, would know that many former friends and relatives were in Winnipeg, but have no way of knowing exactly who or how to contact them.

Newspapers served a much broader function a century ago -- in fact, even today there are probably still small-town newspapers that have a "Who's Visiting Who" column. The personal column above is partly a "social notes" column as well -- it was news that people (of substance) were visiting Winnipeg. In those days many people never travelled outside their local community in their entire lives.

Last edited by Andy6; Jan 23, 2008 at 1:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:06 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Whats the # of that house? lol i used to live at 90 hallet.
That was 60 Hallet. Here is a recent photo of 90 Hallet, taken from the Manitoba Historical Societies website. (It is incorrectly labeled "90 Grove St" on there).

When did you live on Hallet St? Myself and another forumer on here currently live there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan