HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 5:40 PM
Karma Police

Just FYI, this tower and the parking are part of a larger development that includes the whole superblock between Holladay and Multnomah, First and MLK. It's supposed to be an "entertainment center", whatever that means. I don't have any other specifics, unfortunately.

I also don't see anything wrong with 5 levels of above grade parking next to an elevated freeway, as long as the ground level is pedestrian-oriented.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 7:53 PM

here's the link to the Design Advice Request. I'm not sure if this is normal for a first request, but it does appear, through their exemption requests, that they are trying to throw something up as cheaply as possible.

http://www.portlandonline.com/shared....cfm?id=153301

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
^and the economics of having a huge parking garage, with parking going $10 or more a pop for each convention, Blazer game, concert, hockey, and everything else...indeed the amazing profit potential of having a large garage without having to pay for the extra burdeon of going underground. Wish I would have been able to buy that lot.
That's exactly what I meant. Something about the overall look and concept of this building doesn't seem right to me, though, and I don't agree that mediocrity will necessarily be an improvement. I think one could argue that the area is so hobbled that mediocrity is exactly what it doesn't need.

I see the argument that this is a better spot than others for a parking garage. And the idea that the rest of that superblock would be redeveloped sounds great, as long as this is the parking garage for the whole development. Does that mean that the ugly Ambrose Center will go, and take that stupid mural with it? I need to walk around down there sometime this week, to get a better idea of the ramifications involved.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 4:33 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Geez, apart from the parking garage facing the Convention Center, reduced window frontage and decreased sidewalk space, I'm all for it... a nice tower adjacent to the Rose Garden TC would be great!

course, the above ^^^ will likely be a non-starter.

^ ask and ye shall receive

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 3:44 PM

Lloyd office proposal needs more activity
Daily Journal of Commerce
by Alison Ryan
05/07/2007

The MAX station at the Rose Quarter isn’t Portland’s finest. Tucked under an I-5 overpass, the waiting area’s a gloomy spot – even when it’s populated with riders.

“If there were MAX transit after the apocalypse,” Portland Design Commissioner Guenevere Millius said, “that’s what it would look like.”

A plan for a new 20-story office building at 100 N.E. Multnomah St., presented Thursday by Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects to the commission for design advice, could bring big change to the area. The building would sit on a block bordered by Northeast First and Second avenues and Northeast Multnomah and Holladay streets.

Goals for the area, outlined in the Portland Development Commission’s March 2006 Development Vision for the Convention Center Blocks, include creating a vibrant neighborhood round-the-clock with active, energetic streetscapes.

The current approach, commissioners said, needs work to fit with what the city and the neighborhood hope will happen in the area.

Current design calls for just a few retail spaces along Northeast Second Avenue. And some of the modifications designers are considering, commissioners said, wouldn’t foster a vibrant scene. Potential modifications included waiving the city code’s ground-floor window requirements and the ground-floor active-use requirements on three sides of the building.

Ground-floor use “has to be something that’s compelling,” commission vice-chairman Michael McCulloch said, “and not just filler.”

Bill Ruff, Lloyd District Community Association land-use chairman, said the association is also concerned about the lack of active spaces and would like to have a voice in conversations about how ground-floor space could be used, especially on Northeast Holladay Street.

Activation of the Holladay Street façade, project landscape architect Carol Mayer-Reed said, could happen through a combination of retail use, innovative landscaping and parking uses.

“No, there’s not a nightclub in this building,” she said. “But there’s going to be active use and a lot of play on it.”

Developer Barry Schlesinger said the team will do the best it can to meet the goals of the district as the project moves forward.

“Beginnings are tender moments,” he said, “and we have a lot of work to do.”
http://www.djc-or.com/viewStory.cfm?...29389&userID=1

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 9:19 PM

looks like they modified the first proposal slightly and are now asking for a Pre-App Conference...they are pushing this one through quickly, anyone know if there is an anchor tenant secured?

http://www.portlandonline.com/shared....cfm?id=158169

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 10:44 PM

looks like they added a sliver of retail facing the OCC... better than the original design, but still seams lacking... oh, and it looks like they have added a decent sized bike hub to the mix.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 11:31 AM

Question Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^and the economics of having a huge parking garage, with parking going $10 or more a pop for each convention, Blazer game, concert, hockey, and everything else...indeed the amazing profit potential of having a large garage without having to pay for the extra burdeon of going underground. Wish I would have been able to buy that lot.

This isn't a reflection on MAX but more on location, and that is a great location for a garage. At least they are putting building on top of it. To be honest, the Lloyd District can only get better no matter how medicore the building is...and God, does that area need more street level life, which this building will bring!
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am trying to find out what the following is called and what is its function

PS: I wasn't able to find an appropriate thread and this one seems the most relevant since the location of the tower is near this thing.

Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 2:06 PM

^correct me if anyone knows better, but isn't it just a grain elevator?

as for the office building, i like the new ground floor plan, esp the bike hub. that comes over as a good way to keep the base active on a site where one side faces the freeway. between that and the pair of retail slots, i think they should just move ahead with it from there, esp since a retail space faces the MAX tracks now. much as the project is in many ways mediocre, i don't want to see it die from too much design review, i think its time we had a high rise over in the lloyd to (hopefully) jump start activity over there

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebulgar View Post
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am trying to find out what the following is called and what is its function

PS: I wasn't able to find an appropriate thread and this one seems the most relevant since the location of the tower is near this thing.

Thanks!
It's Robert and Gerard Louis-Dreyfus's grain elevator. Robert Louis-Dreyfus, (who is from France) was the CEO of Adidas AG (Parent to Adidas America) in the 1990's and is substantially weathy (I.E.: multi-billionare). Of note, Julia Louis-Dreyfus is also a member of the family. The real estate/financial holding company is the Louis-Dreyfus Group. Gerard is the current CEO of LDG.

Paul Allen has approached the Dreyfus family/organization on multiple occasions attempting to purchase the property to incorporate into other Vulcan ventures around the Rose Garden property (Thunderbird, etc). Dreyfus has declined and every occasion.

Essentially, the grain elevators are a "paid for" asset that generate substantial revenue. The facility is highly active (used daily). To date, the only way that Allen/ Vulcan would be able to purchase the property is if they conceived and constructed another like facility to replace this one, elsewhere on the river.

Unless there is a paradigm shift in the concept, you can file that under the "not gonna happen" header.

For reference:

http://www.louisdreyfus.com/

Last edited by BrG; Jun 19, 2007 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 6:28 PM

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrG View Post
It's Robert and Gerard Louis-Dreyfus's grain elevator. Robert Louis-Dreyfus, (who is from France) was the CEO of Adidas AG (Parent to Adidas America) in the 1990's and is substantially weathy (I.E.: multi-billionare). Of note, Julia Louis-Dreyfus is also a member of the family. The real estate/financial holding company is the Louis-Dreyfus Group. Gerard is the current CEO of LDG.

Paul Allen has approached the Dreyfus family/organization on multiple occasions attempting to purchase the property to incorporate into other Vulcan ventures around the Rose Garden property (Thunderbird, etc). Dreyfus has declined and every occasion.

Essentially, the grain elevators are a "paid for" asset that generate substantial revenue. The facility is highly active (used daily). To date, the only way that Allen/ Vulcan would be able to purchase the property is if they conceived and constructed another like facility to replace this one, elsewhere on the river.

Unless there is a paradigm shift in the concept, you can file that under the "not gonna happen" header.

For reference:

http://www.louisdreyfus.com/
Thank you for the info. It would be interesting to see what will happen to the silos after the south waterfront is built.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 3:48 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

So is there any news on how or if this project is progressing?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 6:13 PM

Still in design progress.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 12:57 PM

100 Multnomah | x | 19 floors | Proposed

amaa:http://www.amaa.com/portfolio/projec...858bd170da2162

not a fan of the above ground parking but what are you gonna do

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 2:56 PM

^it looks like a Lloyd District tower...and I'm not saying that in a generous way.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 10:27 PM

That looks exactly like the Lloyd Dist. tower.

Not being from Portland (orig. from Salem) where exactly is this building going if approved?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 2:56 AM

^ on the max line next to i-5 (you can see the freeway in the nighttime rendering)

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 3:12 AM

Another crappy Lloyd district tower in the Lloyd district... shouldn't be surprised.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 8:38 AM

Update from the Portland Development Commission

The City of Portland Design Commission will review the design for a 19-story office building located at 100 NE Multnomah St. in the Oregon Convention Center Urban Renewal Area. The meeting will be held on Thursday, November 15, 2007 at 1:30 p.m. The Design Commission meets at 1900 SW 4th Avenue Room 2500A, 2nd Floor.

The Portland Development Commission (PDC) has been working with StarTerra, LLC to redevelop PDC-owned Blocks 47 and 49, directly north of the Oregon Convention Center, in conjunction with adjacent property owned by Star Terra, LLC, into a 4-acre mixed-use development. Star Terra, LLC would construct the project in two-phases. Block 49, adjacent to Interstate 5, is being designed as a 350,000 gross square foot office tower with 450 parking stalls, a bike hub, and some ground floor retail. Phase II, a portion of which includes Block 47, is still being refined, but will likely consist of residential and retail uses, with a portion focused on entertainment venues, and a managed structured parking garage. PDC and Star Terra, LLC are negotiating a Disposition and Development Agreement, and expect to bring it to the PDC Board for approval by January of 2008.

For additional information, please contact Steven Shain at (503) 823-0137 or e-mail or Joanne Daunt at (503) 823-3794 or e-mail.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 4:26 PM

Retail could thrive in Lloyd area – but not yet
Developers, architects and district advocates cut a planned retail space facing the Convention Center, saying it would fail
Daily Journal of Commerce
POSTED: 06:00 AM PST Monday, November 19, 2007
BY ALISON RYAN

Eventually a project will launch the retail renaissance of the area edging the Oregon Convention Center, but a new office building at 100 N.E. Multnomah Street won’t be the project.

The 19-story office tower, planned for an empty grassy lot bordered by Northeast First and Second avenues and Northeast Holladay and Multnomah streets, will be a catalyst for the area in many ways, Lloyd District representatives said during a Portland Design Commission meeting Thursday.

The tower will be a major part of redeveloping an area that sees a lot of visitors, said Brian McCartin, a Portland Oregon Visitors Association executive vice president, but doesn’t have the appeal of the Pearl District or Northwest 23rd Avenue.

“It doesn’t seem safe,” he said, “and it seems to be lacking in what they appreciate in many of the other areas of town.”

The tower, which puts a pair of distinctly patterned, geometric building slices atop a parking podium, is part of bigger plans for the area. The Portland Development Commission, which owns the tower site and another adjacent block, is working with developer StarTerra on creating a four-acre, mixed-use development on the PDC-owned blocks as well as adjacent property owned by StarTerra. The office project would be followed by a phase two development, anticipated as residential, retail and entertainment venue uses.

But for now, adding activity to the southwest corner of the tower, where the building will face a blank convention center wall, is a challenge.

“Our board of directors essentially said the southwest corner of this building was unleasable,” said Rick Williams, executive director of the Lloyd Transportation Management Association.

While retail uses are planned for several ground floor spaces, the spot in the southwest corner is essentially a stand-alone space – and too small and isolated, said Allyson Reed, a Portland Business Alliance downtown retail advocate, to succeed as such. And while TriMet riders waiting for MAX light-rail trains populate the district, she said, they’re not there to shop.

“The usage is episodic,” she said. “It is largely centered around the commuting hours.”

During a design advice session, commissioners originally asked the team from Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects to push retail uses for the southwest corner of the tower. The designers did exactly what was asked, commissioners said, but that exploration showed retail wouldn’t work.

“Retail likes to have retail next door to it,” Commissioner Tim Eddy said. “It likes to have retail across the street. It doesn’t like to be trapped 50 feet away from everything else.”

The pedestrian experience, Commissioner Jeff Stuhr said, has been well-championed in Portland. But there are places where the city can step back and look at activating the street in a site-appropriate way.

“If we become too Draconian,” he said, “we’re shooting ourselves in the foot.”

Flexibility is also key for the building. The team designed the tricky southwest corner space, which is niched into the parking structure, to be convertible to retail should the market demand it.

While district advocates were confident that change is ahead for their district, they said they couldn’t pinpoint when the transformation to thriving retail area might come.

But, Commissioner Ben Kaiser said, “If everybody’s going to wait for the first retail to get there, how can it get going?”
http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...cates-cut-a-pl

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland