HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 3:31 PM
Closed account

This is a horrible location for a condo tower. Traffic at hildebran-browadway is bad enough as it is.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 4:25 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSanAntonioLame View Post
This is a horrible location for a condo tower. Traffic at hildebran-browadway is bad enough as it is.
By that logic, condo towers should only be built in exurban areas with light existing traffic. But that logic, my friend, is what got us into this mess. As an example, all of the poor souls who moved out 281 to escape the traffic ended up creating an even greater traffic mess than the one they ran from.

Condos increase density, which promotes alternative means of transportation, which should actually reduce traffic in time. Also, density promotes walkable, human-scaled neighborhoods, which take more cars off the road.

No matter. I doubt that 88 units (and their associated vehicles) will make much of a dent in the traffic flow there.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 4:40 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Well said Kyle.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 4:54 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Unrelated to the topic but related to the area where The Broadway is going up.

For those wondering what will be put in the place of the little Texaco gas station that closed last year, well, some probably already know but it'll be a Wachovia Bank.

That's another good thing to come out of The Broadway as the Texaco gas station was an eyesore.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 5:29 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Well said Kyle.
thanks, thanks...

cold coffee, monday morning, and general boredom at work inspired me...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 5:33 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Unrelated to the topic but related to the area where The Broadway is going up.

For those wondering what will be put in the place of the little Texaco gas station that closed last year, well, some probably already know but it'll be a Wachovia Bank.

That's another good thing to come out of The Broadway as the Texaco gas station was an eyesore.
I had mixed emotions about that actually.

I mean, a lot of the SouthTown stuff was once “eyesore” that was reimagined and made very cool in that process. A Wachovia branch (that looks like all other Wachovia branches) doesn’t exactly get me excited.

At the same time, having another clean, solid, everyday-service on the street is more of a positive than a crumbling garage…

Eh...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 10:01 PM
Closed account

This sort of project belongs downtown, not my neighborhood. I'm not opposed to the project, just the location. Maybe it makes sense from a development perspective, but not from where I'm standing.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 11:02 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
This sort of project belongs downtown, not my neighborhood. I'm not opposed to the project, just the location. Maybe it makes sense from a development perspective, but not from where I'm standing.
i hate to say it, because i've really found all of your insights really interesting KeepSanAntonioLame....

but you're a NIMBY.

more seriously, it will be interesting to see how the project turns out and how it impacts the neighborhood, if any. time will tell.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 11:07 PM
Closed account

Just voicing some dissent is all. on the positive side, it really adds to the sort of mini skyline in that area. Going south on 281, looking on the east side of the highway right before the hildebran exit there's at least half a dozen high rises, not counting the Broadway.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 12:16 AM

I have a house in Mahncke Park and am glad the Broadway is being built there. I was in San Antonio a week ago and there are other upscale condo projects being built in MP now, so it is only the beginning. Glad to see it happening in-spite of the area schools and crime.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 12:19 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I really don't understand any opposition or negative feelings towards The Broadway when there's a 14 story high rise residential tower 20 feet away. lol

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 12:50 AM
Closed account

It's just the additional density that bugs me.... that's all. It'll be good for the Broadway corridor though. Right now the only respectable area of Broadway is Alamo Heights and thereabouts.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 3:13 AM

I'm not sure I understand your objections either, KSAL. This is SA's "Uptown" area, and compared to Uptowns in cities like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, even here in Kansas City. . . well, let's just say that if you think adding one condo tower is making SA's Uptown "too dense", just be glad you don't live in one of those cities, let alone some place like Manhattan.

One thing I really would like to see happen along this area of Broadway, if not all the way to downtown, is the burying of the power lines and the switch from cable traffic signal supports to steel. Those two things alone would go a long way to cleaning up the "streetscape" of that area.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 5:26 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I'm not sure I understand your objections either, KSAL. This is SA's "Uptown" area, and compared to Uptowns in cities like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, even here in Kansas City. . . well, let's just say that if you think adding one condo tower is making SA's Uptown "too dense", just be glad you don't live in one of those cities, let alone some place like Manhattan.

One thing I really would like to see happen along this area of Broadway, if not all the way to downtown, is the burying of the power lines and the switch from cable traffic signal supports to steel. Those two things alone would go a long way to cleaning up the "streetscape" of that area.
NIMBY accusations aside, I agree with the idea to either convert to steel or bury the area cables.

Bring on the density...I have always thought that HEB could tear down Central Market to build a 25 story headquarters with an expanded Central Market on the bottom levels...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 5:39 PM
Closed account

You have to understand the mentality of an AH resident. We feel besieged by developers. Now that the AH city council has actual design standards to protect historic homes, developers are building around the city. I guess im not really really opposed to the project anymore, it was just irritating to see an SA landmark like earl abel's go. It was also sad to see the old Kens Texaco to make way for just what AH needs the most.. another bank!

I think the city of SA needs to start some sort of long term campaign to get more power lines underground. They're just hideous and can be dangerous. The only steel supported lights are at Alamo and Broadway by where the new Pioneer offices are going to be. Maybe they will do more like that.

And AH has very strict commercial zoning, so HEB could never build a huge tower at CM, cool though it would be.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 9:06 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
You have to understand the mentality of an AH resident. We feel besieged by developers. Now that the AH city council has actual design standards to protect historic homes, developers are building around the city. I guess im not really really opposed to the project anymore, it was just irritating to see an SA landmark like earl abel's go. It was also sad to see the old Kens Texaco to make way for just what AH needs the most.. another bank!

I think the city of SA needs to start some sort of long term campaign to get more power lines underground. They're just hideous and can be dangerous. The only steel supported lights are at Alamo and Broadway by where the new Pioneer offices are going to be. Maybe they will do more like that.

And AH has very strict commercial zoning, so HEB could never build a huge tower at CM, cool though it would be.
update photos?

(the sooner this one rises, the sooner we get the devine/trinity condos!!)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
I have a house in Mahncke Park and am glad the Broadway is being built there. I was in San Antonio a week ago and there are other upscale condo projects being built in MP now, so it is only the beginning. Glad to see it happening in-spite of the area schools and crime.
Where are some of those other condos in Mahncke Park?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 12:21 AM

I will take and post pictures this weekend.

I can't remember the street.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 6:20 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

the back of today's san antonio business journal has a full-page ad for the broadway. it has a silver-haired executive-looking guy in an obviously elegant room and it says:

"because you've never made a lateral move in your life."

smarmy, but clever.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 3:01 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

MySa Real Estate Blog has a new post about The Broadway's upward progress...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio