HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 4:22 PM

Sunken Gardens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevue View Post
were there 2 sunken gardens in Hamilton then? I am a bit confused. I thought the sunken gardens were on the property where McMaster is situated. They were demolished to make way for development of the hospital and further parts of the campus?
Hi yes there were indeed two. What I just learned is that the one in front of McMaster was actually on Royal Botanical land that was sold to McMaster to build that monstrosity (although I guess it is doing it's job) called a children's hospital. Sometimes progress is not the best thing.

The one on York Blvd was built as part of a beautification project started by Thomas McQuestern who led the charge to beautify the western entrance to the city. Apparently it was truly ugly as there were shanties and gas stations and NO ROCK GARDEN AT ALL. If you look at the picture from the airplane you can see how truly ugly it was. Although the work had been started and the Sunken Garden was in place the sheer desolation of the area this side of the traffic circle has to make you admire the engineers who managd to link the two areas, Burlington and Hamilton.

Here is a pretty good website describing this.

http://www.hamiltonmagazine.com/site...Royal%20Garden

Quote:
Famed landscape architects Howard and Laurie Dunnington-Grubb were the husband-and-wife team behind the Sunken Gardens at the RBG. Built under McQuesten in 1929, the Sunken Gardens were demolished in 1968, amidst much controversy, to make way for expansion of the McMaster University grounds.
Cheers

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 5:48 PM

McMaster sunken gardens

Last edited by CaptainKirk; Nov 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 6:00 PM

Amazing image collection

Hi all here is a site you all must check out.

Here is an example:

239 amazing images: http://www.virtualreferencelibrary.c...=vrl&view=grid

Cheers

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahatmose View Post
Apparently it was truly ugly as there were shanties

"Shacktown" on the "Dundas marsh" side.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post

"Shacktown" on the "Dundas marsh" side.
Hi Captain some great pics you manage to find. I am presently searching for a couple of things. One an old map of Hamilton although I have found one from 1959 and was surprised to see that Longwood Road was one of the main roads leading into that old traffic circle. I was only 9 at the time and my family never had a car so I don't remember driving this route at all. Below is a link to the map

http://www.mappery.com/maps/1959-Tra...Harbor-Map.jpg

Secondly I was an avid golfer and always lamented the loss of the old Beddoe course. I remember very vaguely caddying once on the old Beddoe but since it was my first time on a golf course I don't remember too much of it. The thing I think we all remember is that super deep gorge on the 18th hole that spilled over into the first and then to the fourth. What I am searching for (and have been for decades) is an old scorecard and pictures of the old course.

Now there's a challenge for you

Cheers and thanks

Last edited by Ahatmose; Nov 14, 2013 at 8:22 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 9:46 PM

The Amazing Interent Resources

Simply amazing ...

http://www.map.hamilton.ca/Static/PD...Day2007_RP.pdf

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/airphotos/1950.htm

This is the one we are interested in for now.

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/airp..._A12562-53.htm

And lastly Chedoke Golf Course from the air 1954-55

Sometimes I forget what an amazing tool the internet is !

Cheers

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 3:11 AM

Before The Beddoe

Hi all ...

Here is an image from 1934 - 8 years before the construction of The Beddoe Golf course. I don't suppose too many remember that but I remember hearing some of the older members talk about how the clubhouse was on the Martin very close to Aberdeen and where the new fourth hole is ... and now we have the visual.

Now all we need is that scorecard ...

Cheers

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 4:04 AM

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 4:31 AM

Now The Gore From John Street

and same corner today ...

and the website: http://playingintheworldgame.wordpre...ilton-ontario/

cheers

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 5:18 AM

The Lyric Theatre and later The Century gone forever.

Hi all read this article if you can. It is bound to make you cry ...

Above is the only known surviving photo of the interior of the original Lyric Theatre, published in The Hamilton Spectator on 3 January 1914. The original caption read: “AN EXPECTANT AUDIENCE. NEW YEAR’S DAY PERFORMANCE OF NOODLES KING OF THE NEWSBOYS IN AID OF LOCAL ORPHANS.” It seems that the Lyric wished to ring in the new year with visual evidence of a full house, to demonstrate its continued popularity despite business raids by hostile competitors. This photograph, poorly printed in half-tone in a local newspaper, and then poorly microfilmed, battered, and finally copied on a standard-quality photostatic machine, reveals precious few details. We can see how large the place is. We can see the locations of the sconces and ceiling lights. We can catch glimpses of the box seats, which appear to be three on each side at the balcony level, though we know that there were actually a total of eight. They appear to be as elaborate as all of Leon Lempert’s beautiful box seats in other theatres. We can see where the two stairways emerge upon the middle of the balcony, to a walkway that separates the upper balcony from the lower balcony. It is impossible to tell if there are windows at the back of the balcony. If there were, they would have been covered by heavy draperies during a show. One would not guess from this photograph that the Lyric was capable of showing movies, but the press releases quoted above tell us without question that there was indeed a projection booth, segregated from the auditorium. So where is it? It’s behind the stage, amidst the dressing rooms. All movies at the Lyric were rear-projected!

http://rjbuffalo.com/lyric_theatre_h...n_ontario.html

Honestly make sure you have a box of Kleenex with you. Anyone who had ever been to The Century will not be left dry eyed. God how I hate progress sometimes ...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 6:45 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Angled parking would be an interesting idea today.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 1:12 PM

Wow, it's really neat seeing these photos of the Longwood/Aberdeen area prior to the Chedoke Expressway being built.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Wow, it's really neat seeing these photos of the Longwood/Aberdeen area prior to the Chedoke Expressway being built.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 4:38 PM

Wow a lot of memories in those photos. Center Mall, I had almost forgotten about Morgan's at The Center, Woolworth's and Kresge's. A couple of things to notice for those who don't remember or were not around at the time. The thing I remember vividly is that all the stores had an awning which came out and covered the sidewalk and I remember Kresge's as that is where I bought my first '45 record. As you look at the picture the record department was in the back right corner of the store. Oh and the 45 ? It was Johnny Cash singing Ballad of A Teenage Queen - the date was 1957 - the price was 77 cents ... I still have it !

And look at how full of life the downtown area was ... I wonder if we will ever see and get these feelings again.

So to all those small towns and villages out there please listen to me. DON'T EVER GROW UP !!!!

PS: After reading the stories of The Century and The Tivoli I went on a Google trip down Main and King in the downtown core from Wellington to James and was driven to tears when I thought of how it used to be. Both the Century and The Tivoli are now just vacant lots. No one has even bothered to build anything on them their destruction was for absolutely nothing. God Hamilton should be so ashamed ...

Cheers

Last edited by Ahatmose; Nov 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM. Reason: To add the PS: and the date I bought the record

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Both the Century and The Tivoli are now just vacant lots. No one has even bothered to build anything on them their destruction was for absolutely nothing.
Tivoli is alive http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=155816

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 5:05 PM

Wow, just when I thought I'd seen all the old hamilton photos in existence :-)

If anyone can find pix of john north between king and the fire station I'd love to see them!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
Hi Captain. I wish it were so. That is an old article ... here is The Tivoli today ... The Ballet company could not save it.

and I guess I might as well post The Century aka The Lyric as well ...

Tears

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 5:56 PM

The lobby of The Tivoli ...

and how beautiful was this ...

and the end ...

More tears ...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 6:09 PM

More "Lyric"

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 6:13 PM

Then and now ..

A website I think by The CBC showing the great buildings that Hamilton has demolished and what has been built in their place. If this is progress I am getting off the train.

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/features/...ltons-history/

no tears left ...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos