HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Will not happen, Nash is still too small and has 0 transit, Atlanta makes and made more sense than most of the cities on the original second list. I love Nash though, dont jump on me...

Obviously atlanner didn't make sense to Amazon since it didn't get it.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Aaaaaand there it is. You just couldn't help yourself, could you? You were only able to play nice for a half second, apparently. So easily triggered and insecure about their city, so many of you Atlantans are. When another southern city receives the spotlight, even if it's only for a moment, it grates at your soul and makes you want to lash out. It's quite pathetic.
I've noticed that about forumers from Atlanta, too. Kinda sad and pathetic.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 12:38 AM

Posts deleted. Stop with the Atlanta and Nashville trolling.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Feb 19, 2019 at 3:30 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I don't know if I'd agree with your assessment. The Dallas side of DFW is full of fake and pretentious people (not everyone - but, there are a significant number of them). Heck, the rest of Texas calls Dallas "L.A. Light." Plano and Frisco are textbook Any-town U.S.A.'s. The Ft. Worth side of DFW is home to more "true" people. Those from FTW are not very fond of those from DAL. And those from DAL typically look down on those "hicks" from FTW.

Also, I definitely would not be "taking my queues" from Dallas. I'd look to be taking them from cities like Austin, Portland, OR and/or Denver (just to name a few). Definitely not Dallas.
It's not like I'm saying what I wish was the case. It IS the case. Nashville doesn't look to any other city as much as to Dallas, my hometown. They do not look at Atlanta with anything that can be called envy, admiration or even aspiration. In fact, for years, Nashvillians have declared their determination to 'not be the next Atlanta'. Historically, Nashville was a city that built an early foundation on education and trade. Dallas, was a boomtown whose citizens longed for respect from 'the East'. Right from the beginning, both cities have been very welcoming to newcomers. Additionally, Nashville is NOT deep South and as such, never had the huge influx of black Southerners during its early development.

Re: Nashville & Dallas, they're both cities of great entrepreneurial wealth and megachurches. They're big 'small towns' (where everyone who's anyone knows everyone else) and they enjoy that. At the same time, they love making big deals. Demographically, they're also very similar, attracting a lot of Midwesterners and now California transplants. They have the country-western vibe and are generally conservative, even though the cities/counties proper are very Democrat. They're also cities that revel in their own unique style, both of which even have their own huge international fashion events.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:14 AM
Brooklyn/Philly/Nashvegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
Additionally, Nashville is NOT deep South and as such, never had the huge influx of black Southerners during its early development.
Quick correction, there wasn't an 'influx' of Black Southerners to cities, they were already there; in fact, as with the US generally, most of the Blacks were there before most of the White folks.

The reason Nashville doesn't historically have as large a Black population (b/w 20-25%) as some other Southern cities: Memphis, Atlanta, etc., is because Nashville was horse country, not farm country. And you need less labor for a horse farm than for say a cotton or tobacco crop, ergo, fewer Blacks in the area upon Emancipation.

Additionally, Nashville has benefited from having had a chunk of its Black population be relatively well-educated and well-heeled in part because slaves on horse farms were higher-skilled than those on plantations, and so you had a significant number of high-skilled Black folks and those skills were still lucrative after Emancipation. That also allowed the Black population in a city as small as Nashville at the time to found 3 Black higher education institutions founded b/w 1866 and 1912, which created a self-generating population of Black doctors, academics, etc., i.e. a middle and upper-middle class.

Nashville's location outside of the Deep South has nothing to do with it; if it did, Baltimore, Richmond, and DC would've looked very different all this time.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:28 AM
Brooklyn/Philly/Nashvegas

^^^^ All of that's in addition to the question as to why a point about the size of Nashville's Black population would need to be made in the first place...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post
If a person is making six figures they don't care about traaaaaansit. They don't want to take public transportation. They don't have the fetish. They prefer the freedom of their own personal vehicles.
Not true. I have several friends and know plenty of other people who live in the Washington, DC metro area that take the Metro to work every single day who have six figure incomes. Not only to avoid traffic but also to avoid the extremely high cost for parking. Keep in mind in some markets six figure incomes are not uncommon. Granted the cost of living in most of those markets is also high. Thus the reason you have more people with six digit incomes.

Most people no matter how much they make, don't want the inconvenience of sitting in traffic all the time. But unfortunately you have people at all income levels who are too attached to their cars.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:03 AM
Nashville born and raised

Now this...

Ditto Development has revealed a rendering (to use the term loosely) of a proposed 19 story residential building on Music Row adjacent to the rising Virgin Hotel. No start date was announced.

It's location in the booming Midtown district...

That now makes 63 buildings, ten stories up to 65 stories, proposed or rising.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Feb 20, 2019 at 3:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 6:00 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
That now makes 63 buildings, ten stories up to 65 stories, proposed or rising.

That's unreal! It really wasn't that long ago when an eight story proposal made the Nashville urban development communities abuzz with delight. Now that seems like almost a weekly occurrence!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 6:11 AM

BNA, I agree and a 30+ in midtown! While I think Palmer Plaza is a cool looking building. I am not sure what to think about Lake Palmer? Hoping to go boating there soon, before they build all that.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautica View Post
I've noticed that about forumers from Atlanta, too. Kinda sad and pathetic.

most of us do our thing. i have no fucking idea how this guy hasn't gotten banned yet.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 6:18 AM

I did see statistics where Nashville area was a tiny bit over 2,000,000. And they did not include Clarksville, which I feel should be included.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 6:22 AM

Thanks MidTenn, great stuff as usual...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 1:13 PM

Wow, there's actually someone named "Ditto".

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:09 PM

Our household is six figure earners and we prefer to walk or take transit over having to drive. I think you are completely wrong in your assessment. We have never found transit to be a sign of lower income and wish there were greater transit options in many of the US cities we visit including our home in Atlanta. A convenient public transit system such as in Manhattan is an amazing engineering marvel and enjoyable and convenient to use. We regularly use Marta in Atlanta as do many of our friends who are mostly college grads and six figure earners.

My mother who lives in West GA and has never used public transit even has a Marta card and prefers taking Marta when intown with us instead of having to hunt and parallel park or pay to park. If our governments at all levels had spent an equal amount of money on transit as it has on roads the past 100 years Americans would probably be much healthier, less obese and our cities would have far fewer social issues I would argue.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Feb 20, 2019 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:53 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodium View Post
Wow, there's actually someone named "Ditto".
Martin Ditto is a Vanderbilt grad and based in DC. He's involved in some quality work per his web site.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:37 PM

As far as the boundaries of any metropolitan area is concerned I've always felt that when the outlying towns have completely grown into the larger city and that it would appear as a single area of lights from a nighttime satellite photo that it has definitely become part of that metro area. I don't believe that Clarksville has reached that point yet because there's just too much open space between Nashville and Clarksville at this time. It will happen eventually though with all of the growth in this area. I didn't think we'd gotten over the 2 million metro population but if we haven't we're awfully close. It sure is filling in to the south and quite a bit to the east as well (I live in Hendersonville). I remember when people complained that Tacoma was being referred to as just a part of the Seattle metro area rather than a separate metro area of it's own but again a satellite image reveals that that huge area is now one massive metro area (the Seattle-Tacoma Metro area). In twenty years (after I'm gone) I suspect that Nashville will be a much more significant and influential metro area that has surpassed a few others along the way.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 10:34 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

The Census Bureau had Nashville's MSA pegged at 1.903 million in their July 1, 2017 estimate. Based on current growth patterns, the MSA should be around 1.978 million by this coming July 1 (2019).

The Census Bureau had Nashville's CSA pegged at 2.027 million in their July 1, 2017 estimate. Based on current growth patterns, the CSA should be right at 2.1 million by this coming July 1 (2019).

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
That's unreal! It really wasn't that long ago when an eight story proposal made the Nashville urban development communities abuzz with delight. Now that seems like almost a weekly occurrence!
Can you send some to OKC? LOL

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 11:26 PM

Oracle looking to set up shop in Nashville.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/busine...local-presence

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations