HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
A huge increase! However, given the numbers, I thought we would hit 16,000,000 for sure this year.
True, next year we will for sure, we have a ton of additions coming up in the next few months and I would say plenty more that is unannounced right now.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:15 PM

Delete

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:41 PM
Closed account

Awesome growth. I thought it would be just over 16 million. Austin has now surpassed St. Louis in the medium-sized hub airport race, but is still a bit behind Nashville. With the new gates opening this year, I expect Austin to surpass Nashville next year.

Also, it looks like Austin will still be a bit behind Love Field as well. That should change as well within the next year or two.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
Delta's expansion is IMMINENT, people. (Sorry, couldn't resist).

The terminal extension is supposed to start opening this month, although it won't be fully operational until late spring.
I thought it wasn't suppose to be fully operational until the fall?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I thought it wasn't suppose to be fully operational until the fall?
Not according to the last updates. North gates will open by the end of Feb, then they have to remove stinger gates, attach jetbridges to the south gates, and shore up the ramp. I wanna say the estimate was that should take another 2-3 months.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
Not according to the last updates. North gates will open by the end of Feb, then they have to remove stinger gates, attach jetbridges to the south gates, and shore up the ramp. I wanna say the estimate was that should take another 2-3 months.
It looks like all the gates should be open by May but the Apron Expansion won't be done until November 2019. Still good to see all the gates up and running so soon.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 12:31 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysgs View Post
Yeah....the same people have been saying a DL expansion is imminent for the past year or two, and nothing has happened.

The expansion is no longer an excuse, as at this point it will be done in a few months. You already have seen AC, WS, WN, NK, LH, e.t.c adding flights from the main terminal for the summer, so the only ones stopping themselves are DL.
Okay...obviously, you have some issues.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
It looks like all the gates should be open by May but the Apron Expansion won't be done until November 2019. Still good to see all the gates up and running so soon.
Right. Only the section of the apron that was under the stinger gates will be improved (I don’t know if it’s strengthening or just resurfacing) for May.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvgeekDL View Post
Also, it looks like Austin will still be a bit behind Love Field as well. That should change as well within the next year or two.
Which I still find impressive considering how much DAL is used as a transit hub for SW. We are an end destination for most airlines.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 3:31 AM
Closed account

Did you see this? After Southwest did their test flight from Oakland to Honolulu, they flew the returning flight back from Honolulu all the way to Love Field, on a 737-800!

https://twitter.com/DallasLoveField/...68070217469952

Granted the flight had virtually no passengers and favorable headwinds, but still, pretty impressive.

ABIA is a bit closer to Honolulu than Dallas Love Field, so maybe when Southwest gets the MAX 7 (which will have more range), perhaps Austin could see a direct Honolulu flight? Hawaiian would probably be better as they would have a widebody, but still, one can dream right?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Did you see this? After Southwest did their test flight from Oakland to Honolulu, they flew the returning flight back from Honolulu all the way to Love Field, on a 737-800!

Granted the flight had virtually no passengers and favorable headwinds, but still, pretty impressive.

ABIA is a bit closer to Honolulu than Dallas Love Field, so maybe when Southwest gets the MAX 7 (which will have more range), perhaps Austin could see a direct Honolulu flight? Hawaiian would probably be better as they would have a widebody, but still, one can dream right?
Oh the trouble I caused myself when I brought this up a while back. At least you have far more credibility than I do on this thread.

Last edited by the Genral; Feb 7, 2019 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:

Let’s just put it this way: with no passengers a CRJ900 can make it to Hawaii. Passengers and their luggage make a HUGE difference in a plane’s ability to fly long distances.

Southwest has said that all the nonstop flights to Hawaii will be off the west coast. Where the direct (one-stop, no change of planes) flights originate from is anyone’s guess—could Austin see one? Sure. Why not?

But, yeah, I’m with you: I’d rather see Hawaiian, biz class, and food more substantial than 2 oz of party mix. There’s only so much sassy flight attendants can make up for!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:56 PM

This is a bit outside the norm for this forum, but an Austin artist who created one of the large scale public pieces at the airport has some Instagram stories from the grand opening celebration. She obviously concentrates on her artwork but you can get a glimpse of some of the new parts of the new wing. She's also worth a follow if you're interested in local artists.

https://instagram.com/mila_sketch

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 4:39 PM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

9-Gate Eye Candy

Enjoy!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:09 PM

@Mikey711MN That’s some nice eye candy! The interior decoration of the extension is really modern looking and looks ready for pax! Thank you for posting!

EDIT: In picture 8 that Mike posted, does anyone know if that is just going to be an elevated seating area or if something like a coffee shop will be there as well?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
@Mikey711MN That’s some nice eye candy! The interior decoration of the extension is really modern looking and looks ready for pax! Thank you for posting!

EDIT: In picture 8 that Mike posted, does anyone know if that is just going to be an elevated seating area or if something like a coffee shop will be there as well?
Isn’t that the Sky Club?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Isn’t that the Sky Club?
Yep. Delta SkyClub.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:11 PM

Looks fantastic...love the color changing LED's!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:27 PM

Amazing. Can't wait until it's open!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 9:19 PM
Air Traffic Controller

Here's a time-lapse I did a few days ago. You can see the approach end of 17R and the full terminal. The new portion of terminal was doing some lighting tests, I think, which is why it's changing colors.

https://youtu.be/jbCzraMKnqA

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin