HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinWimberley View Post
You mean like Bryan/College Station?
They are still mourning the loss of their Olive Garden.
Well, that was mean.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 12:38 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinWimberley View Post
You mean like Bryan/College Station?
They are still mourning the loss of their Olive Garden.
I was more talking about Johnson City. It's at the crossroads of two US highways, and readily accessible to both the Fredericksburg and Dripping Springs markets.

There is a bunch of potential out that way.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 1:48 AM

NFL in Austin?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 2:58 AM

Looks like Mayor Adler is on board based on his tweets. However, they are expecting it to be 100% tax payer funded and $1.5B. Not sure how that would go over.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 3:26 AM

Yeah with how much the NIMBYs spread lies about tax payer costs with the Austin F.C. team. I dont see tax payers paying for the entire cost of an NFL stadium. Maybe if you could get the state to fund part of it. But like the F1 track owner fought against Austin F.C., you will have Jerry Jones fighting against another NFL team. I say pass and let our brother San Antonio have it.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 3:34 AM

Here's a fantastical whimsical thought... Tesla Stadium.

Built on the Tesla campus paid for by Elon himself. Tesla gets marketing rights on the stadium. Tesla employees get free season passes as a perk. Who would not want to work at Tesla? He works out a deal to make back $1.5B from concessions in X amount of years, plus small percentage ownership.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 3:51 AM

Hmm maybe that lane they bought off 969 just east of 130.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 4:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
I was more talking about Johnson City. It's at the crossroads of two US highways, and readily accessible to both the Fredericksburg and Dripping Springs markets.

There is a bunch of potential out that way.
It could never compete with the Llano Earth Arts Festival or the Llano Fiddle Fest. And they are actually a lot more fun. That's where I learned how to balance rocks.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 2:08 PM
World Traveler

I could see it going to San Antonio or in between San Antonio and Austin. Perhaps the northern Austin suburbs, but I would see any NFL team wanting to capitalize on the San Antonio market as well. In any case, I think Austin proper is a slim chance in general and I think Austin paying for it is not gonna happen.

NFL in Central Texas? Sure, there would be folks who pay for tickets and fill up the stadium. No problem. But where to put it? No clue.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk View Post
Looks like Mayor Adler is on board based on his tweets. However, they are expecting it to be 100% tax payer funded and $1.5B. Not sure how that would go over.
Buffalo is a small market with little growth prospects. So it might be hard for ownership to justify putting money into a new stadium. That is their leverage. And why Buffalo may very well lose their team. If not to Austin, to somewhere else.

The market dynamics in a place like Austin would be quite different. They wouldn't be able to use that same type of leverage to get tax payer money. But investment in their own stadium here would likely make more financial sense anyway.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 3:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I could see it going to San Antonio or in between San Antonio and Austin. Perhaps the northern Austin suburbs, but I would see any NFL team wanting to capitalize on the San Antonio market as well. In any case, I think Austin proper is a slim chance in general and I think Austin paying for it is not gonna happen.

NFL in Central Texas? Sure, there would be folks who pay for tickets and fill up the stadium. No problem. But where to put it? No clue.
The only way it could go into the northern Austin suburbs would be with an infusion of Michael Dell money, and Michael Dell seems to like to put his money into English soccer.
Maybe Red McCombs would get involved just to pay back the NFL for his Minnesota Vikings debacle, but he is in his 90s, so it would be his last hurrah.
In that case, Gruene would be nice.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 7:11 PM
Member since 2001

Not going to happen.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 7:22 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

The NFL is not going to Austin. It's not coming to San Antonio. Jones and McNair will make sure of that.

Furthermore, as already mentioned, the tax payers of Austin will never approve funding of a $1B+ stadium. I'm pretty confident the tax payers of SA won't either. Gosh, we were doped in building the Alamodome under Cisneros - promising a NFL team way back then. Where's our team, Henry? Additionally, the Alamodome does not come close to the requirements for a modern NFL team. It would have to be raised and rebuilt.

And, please, for the love of god, let's not start the stadium in-between the cities "discussion" again.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 8:54 PM

It all comes down to stadium financing. If there is a way to get it done with private money then neither Jones or Mcnair can stop it. I don't think you can get public money out of a city vote but you can out of a Travis County vote. Bigger electorate more suitable to the NFL demographic.

But again, no fucking way anyone can stop a move to Austin if there is a stadium paid for. Giant IF but that's how the NFL works. Also, most cities in Austin's situation don't start building the stadium before the team agrees to come. San Antonio was just fucking stupid.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 9:19 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
It all comes down to stadium financing. If there is a way to get it done with private money then neither Jones or Mcnair can stop it. I don't think you can get public money out of a city vote but you can out of a Travis County vote. Bigger electorate more suitable to the NFL demographic.

But again, no fucking way anyone can stop a move to Austin if there is a stadium paid for. Giant IF but that's how the NFL works. Also, most cities in Austin's situation don't start building the stadium before the team agrees to come. San Antonio was just fucking stupid.
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, a relocation must be approved by a certain percentage of the owners. If that is true, Jones and McNair have enough power (influence with enough owners) to squash it - if they choose.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, a relocation must be approved by a certain percentage of the owners. If that is true, Jones and McNair have enough power (influence with enough owners) to squash it - if they choose.
Lol. They don't have that kind of power. Owners would be turning down around 10 million if they voted against a move. That would be reason enough for most of them do do it right now. It would also be too good for the league.

There are a lot of reasons this wold never happen but Jerry Jones and the 90 year old lady in Houston aren't it.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 9:47 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Lol. They don't have that kind of power. Owners would be turning down around 10 million if they voted against a move. That would be reason enough for most of them do do it right now. It would also be too good for the league.

There are a lot of reasons this wold never happen but Jerry Jones and the 90 year old lady in Houston aren't it.
Yeah. Okay...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Yeah. Okay...
Explain to me what Janice Mcnair is going to do about a team in Austin?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 1:38 PM

Rumor is the Austin Bold FC USL team is headed to ft worth next year. I would expect austin fc 2 in the new MLS sub league to be launched in the next few years in north austin or north metro.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 2:23 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Rumor is the Austin Bold FC USL team is headed to ft worth next year. I would expect austin fc 2 in the new MLS sub league to be launched in the next few years in north austin or north metro.
I'm okay with that. I like MLS and USL to have a connection in a city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin