HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 2:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Somebody sure drank the "new energy economy" kool-aid. I may not like it, and I may wish we could get some policies in place to tilt the imbalance a little more toward the greener energy production. But if I worked for a local economic development agency, I'd still rather get my hands on some "old energy" money and jobs...
Hummmm.... Maybe I have as I think nuclear is our future and that is why I have put so much money in AEHI stock.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 2:47 AM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
Hummmm.... Maybe I have as I think nuclear is our future and that is why I have put so much money in AEHI stock.
Or you now think that nuclear is the future BECAUSE you sank a ton of money into AEHI stock.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 3:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
Or you now think that nuclear is the future BECAUSE you sank a ton of money into AEHI stock.
No. It was the way I said it. Even if they don't get the Pueblo plant, I think we will, I still think nuclear is in the future for America, especially now as the democrats will have to compromise with the republicans and they are huge supporters of nuclear. So if AEHI builds just 2 or 3 plants that will generate billions in revenue and be great for the early stock holders for just a few thousand dollars invested. Then on top of that they are working in the middle east to take salt out of the ocean water.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 11:01 PM
Aspiring Amateur

From Weiner to Hancock....dear god....

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...93/detail.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 11:40 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

As seen on the City of Denver's Johns TV... brought to you by, Mayor "Handcock" [sic].

http://www.denvergov.org/tabid/37889...tle=Johns%20TV

Is this story legit? Not on the Post or TV news...

Last edited by bunt_q; Jun 10, 2011 at 1:04 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 9:40 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

So what's with all this business with Colorado cracking down on the Occupy Denver (OWS) protesters? I thought Utah is supposed to be more uptight than you guys.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 6:11 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Whoa...

Ryan Call, GOP chairman in Colorado, tells CNN that Santorum has scored a stunning upset and defeated Romney in the state. Call says 98% of the vote has been counted. "Rick Santorum has exceeded expectations," GOP chairman Ryan Call says.

Didn't expect that.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 4:39 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Whoa...

Ryan Call, GOP chairman in Colorado, tells CNN that Santorum has scored a stunning upset and defeated Romney in the state. Call says 98% of the vote has been counted. "Rick Santorum has exceeded expectations," GOP chairman Ryan Call says.

Didn't expect that.
That's great news for you democrats though!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 7:23 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Good bill:

Quote:
Colorado businesses would be able to consider job applicants’ credit information only in very limited instances under a bill that received approval from the Senate Judiciary Committee Monday.
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...ess+Journal%29

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 6:59 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...ess+Journal%29

Quote:
Just a few weeks before Colorado's Creative Industries Council is set to designate as many as 15 areas of the state as creative districts, a state House of Representatives committee may have struck a blow to the goal of that economic development program Wednesday.
By an 11-2 vote, a majority of both Republicans and Democrats on the House Finance Committee killed House Bill 1132, which would have created tax incentives for businesses operating in creative districts.
Republicans said they didn't like the idea of picking which businesses would be winners and losers in terms of tax breaks, while Democrats said they did not want to take money away from schools and social services to benefit arts businesses.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 7:12 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

This is why Americans are done with Washington. Do we agree on everything? Of course not. But at the state level, government still sort of works. The key word is "compromise." I wonder sometimes if the requirement to actually balance a budget helps with the politics.

Colorado House OKs $19 billion budget on rare 64-1 vote

The Colorado House today approved a $19 billion state budget on a 64-1 vote, a rare feat of near unanimity on the state's annual spending plan.

Democrats and Republicans hailed the budget, which is for the 2012-13 fiscal year that begins in July, as the result of compromise from both parties.

The only dissent came from Rep. Chris Holbert, R-Parker, who told The Denver Post he didn't think the budget his colleagues crafted was fiscally prudent enough.

"We don't sort of save for the future," Holbert said.

But multiple Republican lawmakers said Holbert had been pouting since a Monday morning caucus when he wanted to propose a budget amendment dealing with abortion and was shot down by his colleagues.

Holbert denied that discussions over his amendment had anything to do his vote.

The support for the budget this year was even more overwhleming than last year, when record numbers of Republicans voted in favor of the 2011-12 budget, which passed on 50-14 in the House.

[...]

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...budget-rare-64

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 2:04 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Well, Colorado Republicans never cease to disappoint. Some Republicans actually had the courage to vote their consciousness instead of the FoF improved party line, but then the House GOP leadership lives up to its reputation as being spineless party hacks.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 7:53 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

City politics time!

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...ess+Journal%29

Quote:
The fiscal plan, unveiled Friday, also proposes to ask Denver voters to permanently “de-Bruce” all the city’s taxes from limitations imposed by the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights (TABOR), authored by anti-government activist Douglas Bruce in 1992.
If approved by voters, de-Brucing would allow the city to retain increased revenues from existing tax rates instead of refunding excess amounts defined under TABOR to property owners. Those refunds would be phased out over four years, Finance Director Cary Kennedy said.
The fiscal plan borrows substantially from the recommendations of a task force put together by Hancock’s predecessor, Mayor Guillermo (Bill) Vidal, that proposed a series of efficiency moves and policy changes aimed at strengthening city finances.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 10:05 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

City revenues up, but maintenance money still lacking: http://www.coloradostatesman.com/con...ill-lag-behind

Quote:
It’s taken four years for the municipal revenue picture to turn around but 2012 ended with encouraging results — 47 percent of respondents to an annual Colorado Municipal League survey report increased revenue in 2012 over the previous year. . . . Among the large Front Range cities, 83 percent report increased revenue; 54 percent of western slope cities and towns record an increase. The eastern plains communities remain mostly flat in revenues with only 18 percent reporting increases in 2012.

There is a cloud that hangs over this silver lining. The recession has resulted in five years of deferred maintenance and replacement for everything from police cars to street repair. While revenues are up, they haven’t returned to the point where normal maintenance schedules can resume in many cities and towns. Municipalities will be looking for ways to catch-up on this backlog for years to come.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 5:31 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Bump. Anyone wanna go testify about the branding triangle tmrw?

Bill is here

House Business, Labor, Economic, & Workforce Development 1:30 p.m. Capitol Room LSB-A

K ya'll can let this thread sink again. Jerks.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 5:48 AM
Aspiring Amateur

That sounds like a horrible waste of time. I don't understand why people oftentimes have such kneejerk emotional reactions to rebranding strategies, completely disregarding the thought, reasoning, and benefits of smart and unified branding.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 6:57 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCO View Post
That sounds like a horrible waste of time. I don't understand why people oftentimes have such kneejerk emotional reactions to rebranding strategies, completely disregarding the thought, reasoning, and benefits of smart and unified branding.

Because my tar is better.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 12:59 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I'm not opposed to "smart and unified" branding. I am opposed to stupid branding. Which is what this is. Good for them.

As for why people react emotionally. If they didn't, there be no need for marketing at all right? The whole point is a play on emotions. When the emotions you elicit are hostile, you've done something wrong.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 2:07 AM
ColoRADo

At first, I wasn't too impressed like many folks. But, once I saw the entire branding scheme with the main triangle logo and then the "department" reverse triangle logo, I was sold. Super clean.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 2:30 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Look at a few other departments. It looks absolutely ridiculous with a lot of them. Ridiculous enough that it is not going to become as ubiquitous as they want.

Like, to the point that when I get a letter with that on there, it's so cartoonish that it becomes a lower priority. It actually makes me (and others) less respectful of state government. I just don't take them seriously. And my interactions with state officials reflect that. I truly believe the cartoonish look reduces their effective power.

I'll believe it's for real when the Atty. Gen. or the Secretary of State adopt it. I'm also looking forward to seeing DOLA's logo. No way that one won't look like a joke.

Has CDLE released their triangle logo yet? I'm expecting a sad looking stick figure. Corrections can use a hangman.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West