HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 12:27 AM
Keepin it Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
I doubt it's individuals elevators. That would be ridiculous. It's probably a rear corridor with access to the a communal elevator (1 that the rest of the condo can/does use I imagine).

Based on how the layout of the townhouses looks, I have trouble seeing how. Also the direct quote suggests otherwise

Quote:
There will also be a string of nine, 1,800-square-foot, three-storey, Manhattan brownstone-style townhouses on the site — each with a private elevator.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 1:09 PM

/\/\ Yeah, I received mine too. First correspondence I've received from them.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 5:18 PM

City staff to back condos
Proposal goes to council June 1

Liz Monteiro
RECORD STAFF

WATERLOO

Residents who live near a proposed condo development in the core area say their concerns about traffic and increased density have been ignored by the developer.

But Randy Kinat, who is co-developing the property at 21 Allen St. W. with Mady Development Corporation of Markham, said "every study possible has been done to ensure our project meets all the requirements.

"When the project is completed, they will find there is no reason for any concern,'' Kinat said yesterday in an interview.

"The luxury we are doing will increase the property values of the uptown area,'' Kinat said.

Kinat said the $60-million luxury condo development will feature concierge services and private elevators in the brownstones.

The 19-storey condo development -- 144 Park -- at the corner of Park and Allen streets comes before council for approval on June 1.

The condo tower will have 149 units as well as eight three-storey brick townhouses.

The development will feature 160 parking spaces, 71 of them underground and a three-storey above-ground garage.

Construction is expected to begin in May 2010, Kinat said.

The plan includes tearing down the existing 95-year-old building, Ontario Table and Chair Co., said city planner Trevor Hawkins.

The factory, built in 1913, was the original home of the Quality Mattress Co. The name changed to Waterloo Bedding Co. in 1921. The building is not designated as a heritage property, nor is it recognized for its cultural value.

Hawkins said the developer has not yet applied for a demolition permit.

City staff will be recommending the developer's proposal to council be approved, Hawkins said.

The plan includes a zone change for the property, which is about one-third of a hectare in area, from industrial to multi-residential and an increase in density.

The developer wants to increase the density to 465 units per hectare from 250 units per hectare.

Hawkins said in exchange for increasing the density, the city will be asking the developer for additional streetscape improvements, including benches, landscaping and bicycle parking.

As well, the city will be asking for improvements along the Iron Horse Trail which is near the development and a piece of public art at the value of one per cent of construction costs.

Tanem Developments, which is building a 175-unit condo development at King Street and University Avenue, gave the city $165,000 for the public square in exchange for approved higher densities.

Hawkins said the cost of the public art has not yet been finalized.

Bill Kauffeldt, who lives in the nearby Catalina townhouse development, said he's concerned about the increased traffic and the lack of sunshine because of the tower building.

Becky Shaw, who lives on Allen Street, said the face of the neighbourhood will change with a second condo tower.

The Bauer Lofts at Park and King streets are set to open in July.

"They haven't taken community input into consideration. It seems that community input doesn't matter,'' she said.

Shaw said she's also worried about the traffic volume and increased density.

lmonteiro@therecord.com

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBerliner View Post
the $60-million luxury condo development....

the city will be asking for improvements along the Iron Horse Trail.. and a piece of public art at the value of one per cent of construction costs.

so.. looks like a new $600,000 art piece will be heading UpTown as well

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 6:19 PM

Quote:
A couple of thoughts on this. One, I wonder whether (some of?) the money could be put toward rebuilding the barrel pyramid. Two, will any money be going toward adding the skating rink/water feature to the public square? That $600,000 would almost cover the cost ($500,000 + $300,000 - $170,000 raised so far). Not really "public art", though.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 7:00 PM

I'd rather have some sort of an obelysk installed in the public square than a ridiculous skating rink. What is with KW and skating rinks in their public squares? There are other approaches. I digress though...you can't take the Canadian out of Canada.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 7:08 PM
Keepin it Real

Do you think anyone might be concerned about traffic volume and increased density with this project?

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfaceisonfire View Post
I'd rather have some sort of an obelysk installed in the public square than a ridiculous skating rink. What is with KW and skating rinks in their public squares? There are other approaches. I digress though...you can't take the Canadian out of Canada.
A good percentage of global public squares have a fountain... we can too for 8 months of a year. Climatically we have to have a skating rink. I suppose it could be an ice sculpture for 4 months though.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 7:40 PM

This is going offtopic, but...what's wrong with a skating rink? It seems like a great way to keep the square lively through the winter. Are people really going to come out to a public square when the temperature is below zero to...look at an obelisk?

I don't think a skating rink is "ridiculous" at all.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 8:03 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Who says it will be heading uptown though? It might be on site, or adjacent. I hope it goes towards the square, but nothing in the article says it will. Although I wonder if the city has a public art plan, or a list of desired projects to be funded aside from the square?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 11:01 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

You have to feel for the folks who live near King St. downtown and uptown and inbetween... They've been told repetedly that the area is slated to be INTENSIFIED, and all they can do is whine about tall buildings being built in their precious neighbourhoods, and increased traffic... do they really believe that there won't be any changes?

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 12:30 PM

I was at one of the previews last night and it reinforced what a great project this is for Uptown Waterloo. Is it pricey? Yep. Will it sell out in a hurry? Yep. Top notch, with huge pent-up demand.

There are still some questions to be answered, such as, will the hydro lines be buried so as to not dangle in front of the brownstones? Impact of LRT?

Regardless, we were very tempted to forget about the lawn at home and plop down a deposit. We opted not to because of where we are in life (pre-family)...but I will be very envious of people who make the leap.

Be prepared to move fast to get the remaining units.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatGuy View Post
I was at one of the previews last night and it reinforced what a great project this is for Uptown Waterloo. Is it pricey? Yep. Will it sell out in a hurry? Yep. Top notch, with huge pent-up demand.

There are still some questions to be answered, such as, will the hydro lines be buried so as to not dangle in front of the brownstones? Impact of LRT?

Regardless, we were very tempted to forget about the lawn at home and plop down a deposit. We opted not to because of where we are in life (pre-family)...but I will be very envious of people who make the leap.

I thought it didn't start till Friday? Guess that is for the public. So they are taking deposits already for units? Because I am very interested in buying one.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 2:10 PM
Keepin it Real

Quote:

Did you get a sense for how the sales were going that night?
Do you remember anything about the pricing scheme?
Other details you can share?

You can't tease us like that and not go further, that's cruel!

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 3:11 PM

Quote:

Was there a big turnout for the preview?

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 3:19 PM

A couple of brownstones were spoken for (nearly $600K - the elevator is REALLY nice though!). Brownstones are approx. 1800-1900 sf.

As for the suites, not sure how many were gone. For the floorplan I liked (four units at 1280sf), only one was left...but it had the best view and best layout. Smallest unit is around 650sf and the bigget non-PH is around 1500sf. For pricing, rough math suggests around $375/sf. I'm sure there will be lots to choose from.

Deposit structure - $5K to sign, then 15% within 120 days. Another 5% on possession. (I think).

Finishes are nice. 9ft ceilings (PHs are 10ft). It is awesome.

Last edited by WatGuy; May 21, 2009 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 3:47 PM

Quote:
There are still some questions to be answered, such as, will the hydro lines be buried so as to not dangle in front of the brownstones?
YES! Finally this issue is starting to be raised. The city should have asked the developer to pay for burring the hydro lines in addition to the $600K piece of art. It would be nice to see this happen along Allen St and Caroline, and possibly King too, and have them replaced with decorative street lighting seen Uptown on Willis Way.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 3:53 PM

The developers would have liked the wires buried during the current work on Allen St.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 6:29 PM
Keepin it Real

So the place you liked was 1280sft for $480,000ish? That's not bad. Are there floor premiums? How much is an extra parking spot?

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 6:44 PM

I think the number was even lower than that. So the range may have been $350-$375/sf. Anyway a lot more than the 1500sf condo I bought at Le Marche for $217,000 many years ago. (I got out before they put a shovel in the ground, thankfully). That comparison aside, I wouldn't hesitate at $480K if it fit my life circumstances better.

One parking and locker included. Extra parking is a Toronto-worthy $30K. Of course, RT will be right outside your front door.

I believe the floors premiums were a fairly reasonable $1K.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario