HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 11:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
My mom says that she has been buying poutine since she was a kid, but I think Thunder Bay got an influx of Quebeckers in the 1970s when bilingualism was being pushed, so they probably brought it here with them. Quebec isn't really that far from here, anyway.

I have to agree with Kool Maudit that when I eat the specialty poutines with the toppings, it really doesn't feel the same as eating a normal poutine. It is basically just fries and cheese with beef stew on top or whatever.
Northern and Eastern Ontario, Acadia, were probably the earliest to jump on the curd and gravy train.

I've tried a few different concoctions but prefer the traditional standard: crispy fries that don't turn immediately to mush, fresh curds, and chicken sauce. St-Hubert makes a good sauce for home use. Swiss Chalet sauce would be good too.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 11:54 PM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
I tried Wendy's poutine the other day out of curiosity and I don't recommend it at all. The fries are not the right kind, the cheese did not squeak and they really skimped out on the gravy.
Tried it last weekend, I agree it's not excellent, but i find there is much better potential from that poutine than in most chains (mcd's, bk..) cheese curds would need not to be taken out of the fridge upon ordering but rather let them reach room temp (fresh daily would be even better) the sauce has a good taste but it would need a bit more, as for the fries, i thought they were good.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada