HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 3:50 AM

on other news has anyone seen this
http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_ar.../96899159.html
watts is apparently in the top 25 for being one of the words best mayors

go watts!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 6:47 AM

Go Watts! I wonder what the final design will be. Stoked!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 10:54 PM

So I talked to the owner of the Gamestore in Central City Mall. All the little stores in the hall where his gamestore previously existed before he moved are moving out of that hall. Most of them are moving across from Bed,Bath and Beyond and along that hall. The reason for them doing this is they are going to close off that entire middle hallway and build a large store where all the other stores existed previously. Though they do not know exactly what store it is going to be as there aren't any buyers yet.

And next to Bed,Bath and Beyond, where the label wallpaper use to be, there is an actual store name there now. Target is going to be moving in there.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 10:58 PM

a real Target? or just a store stealing their name?

eidt: from what i read a store called Target is opening all over Canada but not related to the American Target... nanaimo and sudbury are getting them as well - i imagine it to be like giant tiger or fields - we'll have to see when it opens

Last edited by SpongeG; Jul 1, 2010 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
a real Target? or just a store stealing their name?
I don't know. I didn't get that bit of information from the gamestore owner. I just saw the sign on the storefront. I think the location is much to small to be a large target store though there are rumours that target could be headed to Canada in the near future. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't think it's the big US chain actually.

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...of-the-border/

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 11:30 PM

ah Les Ailes De La Mode Inc. operates a store called Target - Les Ailes De La Mode Inc. is owned by fairweather group - so probably another cheap clothing store

Quote:
One wrinkle standing in Target's way, at least legally, could be getting the rights to its corporate name in Canada. Isaac Benitah, owner of Toronto-based I.N.C. Group, which operates chains such as Fairweather, Randy River, Les Ailes de la Mode and International Clothiers, owns the rights to the Target name and operates a handful of apparel stores in Ontario under the banner.
http://newsfeed.huydang.com/2010/06/...ada-maybe.html

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 12:09 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 5:29 AM

was out at guildford today - wow what a mess so much going on - glad to see it on the way - i suggest though avoid the area if you go there by car its painful

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 3:17 PM

I just hope they fix the parking in time for christmas or it gonna be freaky

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 11:58 PM

Looks like there is a new low rise condo on Fraser Highway at 138 Street. It is called the Hub on Fraser. http://thehubonfraser.com/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 7:21 PM

Fusion Fest it this weekend at Holland Park in Surrey. Vallet bike parking will be available.

http://www.fusionfestival.surrey.ca/default.htm

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
Fusion Fest it this weekend at Holland Park in Surrey. Vallet bike parking will be available.

http://www.fusionfestival.surrey.ca/default.htm
How much do you tip someone to ride your bike for you?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 5:11 PM

Fusion Fest was awesome...third time going, it starting to become a bit more established...more happy people, i noticed less of the wariness that i noticed the first year.....be nice to have a couple other major festivals there like a radio show....

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 8:55 PM

whats a radio show?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
How much do you tip someone to ride your bike for you?
Nothing we did it all for free, had maps to give away. Only thing we were hoping for was for people to sign up for the Vancouver Area Cycling Coalition http://www.vacc.bc.ca/ and to comment on the cycling infrastructure in Surrey.

Fusion Fest was awesome, it was busy, Grapes of Wrath rocked out the stage and there was more food stands than last year.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 11:34 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ I agree...loved it!

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalley13 View Post
Fusion Fest was awesome...third time going, it starting to become a bit more established...more happy people, i noticed less of the wariness that i noticed the first year.....be nice to have a couple other major festivals there like a radio show....
i am really hoping next year they bring in some more European countries

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 12:11 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Surrey Public Library unveils new logo!!

Quote:
The Surrey Public Library has unveiled its brand new logo exclusively via Twitter and Facebook. With the tagline “discover – connect – inspire”, the new logo features a row of stylized books that are intended to echo the design of high rise towers. A pathway below is designed to represent learning and discovery. The colour scheme incorporates the currently-popular “blues and greens”, similar to the City of Vancouver, the 2010 Olympics, and the Canucks. Additionally, the logo foreshadows a probable renaming of the public organization to the more modern and simple “Surrey Libraries”. The tagline itself is symbolic of the shifting mission of the library from simply a book repository to a community learning space.

Perhaps most unique however is how the new logo was released to the public. While it is noted the logo will be “gradually phased-in” and officially launched in September with a website re-design, the Library deliberately presented the design through a soft launch via its social network services. It goes to show just how eager the Library is to fully embrace social media, highlighted in a recent article on Civic Surrey, giving additional credence to their new broadened philosophy.

Here’s the Library’s official note as presented on Facebook:

Surrey Public Library unveils new image Discover, Connect, Inspire. This simple, yet elegant phrase represents the new reality of Surrey’s public library. It is a place to discover new technologies, connect people and ideas and inspire creativity.This new vision coincides with the exciting development of the City’s newest library designed by renowned architect Bing Thom. As a result, a new brand image has been commissioned and designed by the local, award-winning agency thornleyHAYNE Creative Communications.The new logo graphically represents a stylized series of books placed on end to mirror the look of buildings, incorporating a gentle curve shape that inspires the feeling of a pathway to learning and discovery of the library. Fresh bright blues and greens not only complement the city’s existing brand but complement the blending of nature and progressive design elements.The new logo will be gradually phased in, and officially launched when we launch our new website in mid – September.
Civic Surrey

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Surrey – Economic activity accelerated in Surrey during the first half of 2010 and residential housing continues to drive growth, according to the second quarter results presented to Council this week.

In the first six months of 2010, the value of new construction in Surrey jumped to over $610 million, with over $451 million coming from the residential sector. At this point last year, new construction value was at $285 million. There has been close to $6 million worth of building permits issued so far in 2010, compared to over $3 million during the same period last year.

“For two years in a row, Surrey has been ranked the best place in B.C. to invest and this year it ranked fourth on the list of top Canadian investment cities,” says Mayor Dianne Watts. “The City continues to move forward on a number of exciting projects and we are committed to balancing growth with sustainability as we implement our vision for Surrey.”

In the first half of 2010, the City collected over $1 million in planning application fees, more than double what was collected in the same quarters last year.

The City expects activity levels to taper off during the remainder of 2010 because of the HST and interest rate increases.
http://www.surrey.ca/NR/exeres/533CE...MODE=Published

Quote:
Surrey
As the second largest city in British Columbia, Surrey has already experienced tremendous
growth. As the fastest growing city in Canada, Surrey is predicted to take Vancouver’s place
as the largest city in Canada in upcoming years. With two border crossings to the United
States, links to five major highways, deep sea docks, and four railways, it’s easy to see why. Surrey is a
prime location to do business, with access to local, national, and international markets.

When reviewing Surrey’s economic fundamentals, we see an area going through a positive transition.
Others have taken notice as well, as we see an increase in population and business opportunities. Surrey
has experienced tremendous growth and the trend looks to continue for many years to come.
There are many renters in the region, providing potential landlords with the ability to provide safe,
quality housing to a growing rental population. This is why it is important to examine this city on a
micro level and take the neighbourhood’s and even the street’s characteristics into consideration when
deciding where to purchase.
http://www.realestateinvestingincana...ia-Release.pdf
i pretty sure they mean to over take Vancouver as most largest city in BC not Canada lol

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 2:18 PM

oh and if no ones seen central mall lately there has been a bit of a change there. The old hall way that was right in front of the farmers market is no more. It is now blocked off and being prepared for something big.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley