HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

PENN 15 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 4:49 PM

Pelli's design is outdated. This new one is way more contemporary.
Yes, the top has to be redone.
Something transparent and/or smaller/thinner would be better.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 1:36 PM

How can Pelli's design be outdated if his very similar ones in SF and HK are up and are gorgeous? They've become landmarks in those cities.

His buildings are elegant and I have no doubt they will age very well. Meanwhile you have these offset blocks type designs that you just know won't age well.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Yea, as much as I try to force myself to like the new design(s), this and 2WTC are two of the biggest let downs in NYC history.

How could this even be more economically prosperous? Just looking at the building it seems it'd be far less.
Add Hudson Spire to that list of let downs.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 5:07 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post
Add Hudson Spire to that list of let downs.
I sort of agree, that 1,800 footer was just a placeholder though. The new building is cool although it could have been a little taller.

I think some aspects of 2WTC (BIG's) are cool too like the outdoor gardens and sheer mass of the building. But I still prefer Foster's, and honestly just want something to go there so the gap in the skyline is replaced.

That being said I really like Pelli's buildings (minus the Petronas Towers, they're kind of ugly), and I really liked his design for Penn Plaza.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 3:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Still no set, firm plans on this...

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-t...-conferen.aspx

Quote:
John Guinee -- Stifel, Nicolaus & Company -- Analyst

And then when does Hotel Pennsylvania kick-in and how about Manhattan Mall?

Steven Roth -- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

What was first question?

John Guinee -- Stifel, Nicolaus & Company -- Analyst

When does Penn and Manhattan Mall kick-in?

Steven Roth -- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

Manhattan Mall is a parking lot, is a holding action for expansion. So that's going to be the last thing to happen. The Hotel Pennsylvania has been through different cycles of opportunities which have not yet panned out. So that is also inventory, and we expect that the value of the Hotel Pennsylvania land will increase geometrically as we get moving on what's going on across the street.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:28 PM

What does he mean by the Manhattan Mall is a parking lot?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
What does he mean by the Manhattan Mall is a parking lot?
It's just a place holder that will be redeveloped.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 1:44 AM
New Yorker for life

My suspicion is that Ingels, who did a redesign of 2 Penn that was later dropped, was behind that rendering of the new 15 Penn.

If you look on the far right of this photo, there is a model of a building that looks a lot like it....

https://www.6sqft.com/go-inside-bjar...ters-in-dumbo/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 4:35 PM
New Yorker for life

In the background on the right (behind 2 Penn) you get the newer 15 Penn design, but also on the left, a potential design on one of the other Vornado owned sites (looks like the Penn East site)...

http://fliphtml5.com/twmd/alyp

Last edited by NYguy; May 4, 2019 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 6:32 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.moneyshow.com/articles/tptp072513-51634/

Vornado: A Premier Play on Manhattan

May 29, 2019
Kenneth Leon

Quote:
.....The company today is actively redeveloping the James Farley Post Office complex and Penn 1 with plans in the next year to redevelop Penn 2.

Once the Penn office buildings are redeveloped, with one of them having a new retail mezzanine level wrapping the building, VNO will consider building a new office tower to replace the Hotel Pennsylvania, a low-quality property.

Plans not activated yet are to replace the hotel with 15 Penn Plaza, a newly designed 68-story tower that may be a mixed plan of office/hotel
in the future across from Penn Station.

VNO's redevelopment strategy could generate higher EBITDA and adjusted FFO growth in 2020, in our view, with higher rents from its 6.2 million sq. ft. Penn Plaza district.

The high rent districts in Manhattan West/Hudson Yards are commanding rents in excess of $100 per sq. ft. VNO's footprint with the James Farley Post Office office/retail complex and the Penn Station office buildings are directly adjacent to Hudson Yards, the largest new construction projects in the country.

The refacing of Penn 1 and Penn 2 are a vast improvement with added new retail/restaurants in an extended newly-constructed mezzanine level covering a city block over the street below. Most of the James Farley project is getting funded by condo sales at 220 Central Park South, one of VNO's few non-office real estate investments.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 5:45 PM
New Yorker for life

The surprise with this set of 15 Penn renderings was the full reveal of the Penn East tower....

As for 15 Penn, they really gotta get to work on that top if this is what they intend to build.

http://fliphtml5.com/twmd/ebhi

13. Penn East revealed, and it is glorious...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 5:53 PM

The original design was better, I like the height that’s about it, and I know damn well they keep wasting ink drowning those trees on the renders, because they tend to never be there after construction

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 6:07 PM
New Yorker for life

I feel that his is the wrong location for this type of design. It's more Park Avenue, and the top is awful, especially considering how close it is to the Empire State. The building is just massively huge. IF only that could taper that design a bit, it would look much better.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 6:41 PM

It is certainly jarring. I think we're just used to buildings this tall being skinny residential towers. Tower Fifth has a small footprint and 350 Park tapers to lessen its gravitas. This is the first unapologetic behemoth we've actually seen. Your move, Chase.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 8:08 PM

Wow. This will be a huge skyline changer.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 8:13 PM

I hope that crown is some sort of sick joke. Looks like the architect designed the building from the bottom up and got so sick and tired of the process that he just gave up when he got to the top. No way will that crown design get approved.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 8:15 PM

Horrid, too close to the ESB for a building so broad and massive. I'm reminded of the image in the 1960's of chase Manhattan plaza amongst all of the prewar towers downtown.

This would be a cool building if it were 1,000 feet. But between the fact that the anchor tenant is facebook, and how much this will loom over ESB, this could become one of the most hated buildings in the city- and an infamous symbol for the tech industry.

Two thumbs up for Penn East though- that said between these buildings and midtown east I've had enough of Norman foster and Rafael Vinoly.

Last edited by JSsocal; Jun 4, 2019 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 8:18 PM

Hey let's plant some trees 1,000+ feet in the air in one of of America's windiest cities. What could go wrong?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 9:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

I don't like to curse publicly but I really fucking hate this design. I mean like all caps HATE. I'd take the Pelli looking design even if it looked like 5 other towers than this Jenga Arboretum.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 9:52 PM

Did vornado take down the link?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals