HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 3:00 AM

Speaking of Atlantic House, the crown was lit tonight. Same color as the Atlantic. Underwhelming

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Speaking of Atlantic House, the crown was lit tonight. Same color as the Atlantic. Underwhelming
The whole building is underwhelming. Hopefully Novare is done destroying the skyline for a while.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 4:24 AM

Buckhead and Downtown

Promove is no more. Modera Buckhead on the way.

Post Centennial progress: slow but sure. These pics are bad quality due to motion and basically show the views that will no longer be there when the buildings are complete!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 10:28 AM

Any updates from last nights DRC meeting?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifealex View Post
It should move a lot faster once the parking portion is finished they're currently on the seventh floor of the ten-story parking and don't forget before they even went vertical they had to deal with a lot of rock similar to what Atlantic house went through
Very true, your're correct. Thanks

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
The whole building is underwhelming. Hopefully Novare is done destroying the skyline for a while.
I actually think it looks pretty good. It is the tallest "Skyhouse" in the country, lol.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 10:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
I actually think it looks pretty good. It is the tallest "Skyhouse" in the country, lol.
I do too. Painting the concrete makes all the difference and having glass balconies. It actually looks way better in person than it does on the webcam.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I think "destroying" is a little over dramatic. It's a background building. And hopefully its biggest contribution will be at street level.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 12:50 PM

Web Cam Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
It now looks to me like 22 14th is crawling, and I mean slowly upward.
I wonder how much longer the Atlantic House webcam will be available so we can keep an eye on 22 at 14th street.

It looks like much of the garage cladding at Atlantic House is nearing completion (from the web cam view) and not sure how much longer the camera will needed.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 1:03 PM

I found a better way to look at this cam. Much bigger resolution and you can move it around. You can really zoom in and out.

http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...=1473633069326

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
Any updates from last nights DRC meeting?
NEW APPLICATION: 1372 Peachtree Street (Office Renovation)
This is a renovation of a three story office building with Peachtree St frontage that has been vacant for over a decade. They plan to make the front of the building mostly glass. The big change, though is the addition of a stairwell in front of the building. They claim the building has an inadequate internal system of stairs and an exterior stairwell was necessary. Most of the discussion centered around the treatment of the stairwell. The committee was very complimentary of the project as a whole.

Also, Atlanta Business Chronicle is reporting that WeWork will occupy the building. See here (paywall).

FOLLOW-UP: 195 Thirteenth Street, Lennar Multifamily Communities
An updated, higher quality rendering was presented for this building. I expect Midtown ATL will publish it with their summary shortly. The building has a white exterior with wood finishes along the street front. The discussion centered around the treatment of the parking podium exterior, especially on the south side, to make it as pleasant as possible for neighbors. There was push-back from the committee with respect to how close the balconies were to the property lines. It appeared the committee was unwilling to recommend granting a variance on this issue.

FOLLOW-UP: SLS Atlanta Hotel & Residences, Trillist
Not a whole lot new to report here. They indicated, if at all possible, they would like to receive approval from the committee so they can file their SAP as soon as Friday. It sounded like they were in a hurry to get this one started.

Also of note, as previously reported, this project will share a service (loading/unloading) area with a future Selig development directly to the west and the Lure restaurant on the south. The plans and renderings they presented this time included the service area. It looks like they will build it as part of this project. It had the same exterior treatment as the SLS building (checkered pattern).

NEW APPLICATION: 1018 West Peachtree Street, Comcast
No one was happy about this project. They repeatedly questioned why Comcast is wasting prime real estate to build an equipment center that will need up to 10 exterior industrial cooling units and six exterior backup generators. There was concern about noise, aesthetics, and about how this would impact the new Hanover West Peachtree project under construction directly to the south as well as any future neighboring developments.

Comcast is apparently in an arms race with Google/ATT with respect to fiber infrastructure and wants to expand capacity ASAP with little concern for the long term plans for the site. They did indicate that there is some possibility that Comcast may develop or sell the eastern portion of the site.

At least they plan to upgrade the sidewalks/streetscape on West Peachtree and add greenery to the Spring St side.

Last edited by jwbab; Sep 14, 2016 at 1:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post

NEW APPLICATION: 1018 West Peachtree Street, Comcast
No one was happy about this project. They repeatedly questioned why Comcast is wasting prime real estate to build an equipment center that will need up to 10 exterior industrial cooling units and six exterior backup generators. There was concern about noise, aesthetics, and about how this would impact the new Hanover West Peachtree project under construction directly to the south as well as any future neighboring developments.

Comcast is apparently in an arms race with Google/ATT with respect to fiber infrastructure and wants to expand capacity ASAP with little concern for the long term plans for the site. They did indicate that there is some possibility that Comcast may develop or sell the eastern portion of the site.

At least they plan to upgrade the sidewalks/streetscape on West Peachtree and add greenery to the Spring St side.
Comcast knows the viability of that site to be redeveloped are slim to none without the whole site being able to be developed. Don't count on anyone wanting to rent units with the potential threat of legionnaires disease with all the cooling towers.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 1:51 PM

Props to Comcast for always discovering new and innovative ways to make me hate them.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 2:01 PM

I was really hoping both SLS and 195 13th would be recommended and advancing quickly.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I was really hoping both SLS and 195 13th would be recommended and advancing quickly.
Well the main site paints a different picture suggesting they have been approved to move forward (remember the DRC only recommends, I don't think it has power to outright stop something)

Quote:
Two follow-up projects, 195 Thirteen Street, and SLS Atlanta Hotel Residences, were presented for a follow-up review and both received the green light to move forward.
http://www.midtownatl.com/about/prog...2016-drc-recap

Still has old pictures though

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 2:16 PM

Any chance we can stop Comcast from developing that site?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 2:37 PM

Atlantic House - Not too Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbgt92 View Post
I think "destroying" is a little over dramatic. It's a background building. And hopefully its biggest contribution will be at street level.
I don’t think that Atlantic House is too bad. It’s what I would call a “pleasant” building. It’s not overtly hideous, nor is it spectacular, just …pleasant.

However, If I had to choose the location for the building, I would not have chosen such a prime sight, maybe on the periphery of midtown or as infill further south.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbgt92 View Post
Just an opinion. From my vantage the Atlantic looks good, but Atlantic House looks awkward and detracts from One Atlantic Center hence my use of the word "destroy". I live in a Novare condo building so I know the product...for a small extra investment his buildings could be unique and really add. He chooses to do cookie-cutter and mass produce to make a buck rather than make even a small statement. Watch JPX and then look back at Novare...destroy will not seem so outrageous. Thanks for listening

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Just an opinion. From my vantage the Atlantic looks good, but Atlantic House looks awkward and detracts from One Atlantic Center hence my use of the word "destroy". I live in a Novare condo building so I know the product...for a small extra investment his buildings could be unique and really add. He chooses to do cookie-cutter and mass produce to make a buck rather than make even a small statement. Watch JPX and then look back at Novare...destroy will not seem so outrageous. Thanks for listening
My only beef with Novare's buildings are their detached parking garages. If it weren't for those, I wouldn't mind having more of them as filler/background buildings. Atlantic House's garage is better than their Skyhouse product, but it's still a waste of land use imo.

Regarding the office rennovation at 1373... wow, what a transformation!

The current site: https://goo.gl/maps/c9z1WrfWtC22

What they are planning:

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
My only beef with Novare's buildings are their detached parking garages. If it weren't for those, I wouldn't mind having more of them as filler/background buildings. Atlantic House's garage is better than their Skyhouse product, but it's still a waste of land use imo.
I agree. I don't mind the building and I appreciate the added density that their projects have brought to the neighborhood. However, the parking deck looks like it takes up more land area than the tower. Also, I am not sure what they are doing immediately to the east of the tower. It looks like loading bays/parking/deck entrance. It also appears to be taking up as much land area as the tower. The tower takes up only about a third of the land area of this site. That is very sub optimal from a land use perspective IMO, especially at this location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations