HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 7:36 PM
Meh

I doubt Tovo cares about bike lanes. She and Morrison are more about being an obstacle to things like that, and, to save money, she'd probably stand in one to block them.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 8:15 PM

I watched nearly four hours of the council hearings on this project...How anyone can sit through this mess amazes me...Endless pro and con ramblings that started this morning and could go well into the night...I've noticed one thing....Most of the cons need makeovers...come on, when you're in your fifties don't wear your gray hair down to your waist...I'm no Brad Pitt but has anyone seen Tom"Smitty"Smith the local activist.......SCARY!!!!
I don't expect a vote today and I'm still worried.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 9:26 PM

Riley just gave the majority vote of yea....it's a GO!!!!! tovo and morrison against...to hell with them

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 9:54 PM

How much do such racing venues charge for parking each day?

Hmmmmmmmmmm....

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
How much do such racing venues charge for parking each day?

Hmmmmmmmmmm....
Whatever they normally charge, double it since the facility will only have 25K parking spaces due to the environmental restrictions.

I know what you are thinking. How many cars can fit on 25 acres? A whole bunch I imagine.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 11:13 PM
~Hook'em~

Ya'ay!

And Armybrat we now are going to expect you to host the F1 SSP BBQ next year! =)

Kidding, but this is great news.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 11:18 PM

Bueno!!!!!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 7:11 AM
Meh

Good news for sure. You know, fiscal responsibility can swing both ways. It's not just about not spending any money, but also about making smart investments and knowing when something will pay off in the end. Some people seem to think it's the smart thing to do to not spend or invest anything. That doesn't make any sense, and I doubt we'd have the things we do if everyone thought that way.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Ya'ay!

And Armybrat we now are going to expect you to host the F1 SSP BBQ next year! =)

Kidding, but this is great news.

It would be nice, but I'm hoping to actually not own it by then:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...near_f1_t.html

Quote:
Development starting near F1 track
By John Maher | Friday, June 24, 2011, 02:41 PM

A 67-acre “gateway” property to the Circuit of the Americas has been purchased Thursday by a group of Mexican investors, according to Karl Koebel, a broker for Marketplace Real Estate Group.
..............................................................................................

Koebel said other properties in the area are attracting interest from Mexican and European investors.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 6:27 PM

V-8 Supercar races coming to Austin's F1 racetrack:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226085122063

Quote:
..V8 Supercars to make United States debut in Texas

Tyson Otto From: The Daily Telegraph July 01, 2011 12:00AM
Australia's top motorsport will go where no other Australian sport has in a super ambitious plan to muscle in on the giants of global motor racing.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal V8 Supercars have signed an agreement to hold races at the new Circuit of the Americas in Texas, USA, beginning in 2013 in a dramatic leap forward for the Gold Coast-based series.

...................................................................................

A five-year deal has been struck between V8 Supercars, the Texas State Government and managers of the Circuit of the Americas, locking in two 200km races every year at the Austin raceway.

Both races will be televised live to 80 million viewers across North America and South America on the SPEED cable network, giving the sport extraordinary exposure in the biggest motorsport market in the world.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 6:34 PM

That was quick... guess this is a good investment!

Someone needs to document all the transactions and developent that occurs because of this... only way to make the TovoMorrison team look like the pair backward thinking clowns they are.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 8:07 PM

Now if Austin can just score an ALMS race it'll be the racing capital of the planet.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Now if Austin can just score an ALMS race it'll be the racing capital of the planet.
At least three racing series have signed on for a race at the new track, so that doesn't seem out of the question. If only NASCAR would go for a race where everyone wasn't turning left.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
At least three racing series have signed on for a race at the new track, so that doesn't seem out of the question. If only NASCAR would go for a race where everyone wasn't turning left.
Oh no! It's the always turning left argument again. Maybe that's why F1 drivers suck at NASCAR. Every time they turn left they feel like they have to turn right.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 10:30 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post

Someone needs to document all the transactions and developent that occurs because of this... only way to make the TovoMorrison team look like the pair backward thinking clowns they are.
That is a very good idea. There also needs to be an organized coordinated plan to call them out on these subjects and to make them admit they are only there to block any form of development. Also its time to take on the Austin Neighborhood Council. Why do we even have an organization like that and why is it so powerful. We need to get the general public informed about why the ANC really exists. Its not to organize neighborhoods for crime watches or to get to know your neighbors, they are involved with things that they have no reason or business being involved with. If we can get enough people working together to specifically counter Laura Morrison and Kathie Tovo, I think the public will realize that they are very backward thinking. I plan on getting it started....

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post

Ok so t&m had reservations about COTA.
morrison said after the vote on COTA, "It's definately going to be a money maker so I can't support it."" What kind of logic is that?????
But to vote against a needed DT hotel and the convention money it would generate puzzles me. WTF are these two freaks thinking??

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 11:55 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I think that the urban rail project should extend out to the track from the airport. That'd be a really, really, really smart investment by the city.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 12:15 AM
~Hook'em~

I'm not sure. I mean DKR is right downtown and draws a lot more people than COTA ever will and there are people who think it should be down Speedway or even the Drag rather than San Jacinto and I kinda gotta agree with them. Except that San Jacinto would just be so much easier to build. I think that there are other parts of Austin that would be better served than taking it out to the track. At least at this point in time. Like say S. Congress, S Lamar or Guadalupe up to the triangle -> N. Lamar -> Anderson -> Northcross -> and up to the Domain.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Oh no! It's the always turning left argument again. Maybe that's why F1 drivers suck at NASCAR. Every time they turn left they feel like they have to turn right.
...and that's why NASCAR drivers suck at F1.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
...and that's why NASCAR drivers suck at F1.
Well, we really can't say that, can we ? Whereas notable F1 drivers try NASCAR and fail, the reverse hasn't been tried, to my knowledge.

Hopefully Austin will get NASCAR too. Take a cue from F1 drivers. They love NASCAR. They just suck at it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin