HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:11 PM
The City

^ Agree, I totally hate the gondola idea. This is a real city, not friggin Cedar Point

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i love how their solution to "getting tourists into the neighborhoods" is literally building more carnival rides downtown.

maybe they could have started by actually building the Blues museum on the south side. oh wait...
They weren't trying to say that these would directly do it. it's more like a "bring more tourists here, then we'll enhance some of what we think are treasures in the other neighborhoods." I am actually a big believer in showing off what Chicago has to offer on social media sites like Instagram. People scour the hell out of that. I've put up pictures from outside of downtown and tagged it in a way where anybody could find it and have gotten likes from people from all around the world.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
No comments on the gondola proposal?

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...-chicago-river

I think this is kind of interesting, albeit touristy. The design of the supports could definitely be a bit more elegant, but as an overall concept I don't hate it.
Lol, this will surely make up for the Lucas Museum. World class AAA+ macho man status here we come!

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:18 PM

reality is downtown dosent need anymore help. the hyper-focus on it as opposed to other areas is what makes so many residents of the city feel left out and distrustful of the administration.

the lyric opera is already a world renowned institution the draws people from all over the globe...so lets add a gimmicky projection to the side of the building!

the chicago river is already a primary stop for anyone visiting chicago and most people take a boat tour...so lets add another gimmick to compete with the tour boat operators!

this gondola idea looks like the kind of "economic development" solution i would have expected from Cleveland circa 1995. its creating a walled ecosystem (along with Navy Pier, Museum Campus, etc) that gives tourists a sanitized way to experience the city without ever really needing to experience it.

contrast that with the way NY has succeeded in drawing people into boroughs other than Manhattan based purely on selling "authenticity"

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:24 PM

Quote:
reality is downtown dosent need anymore help. the hyper-focus on it as opposed to other areas is what makes so many residents of the city feel left out and distrustful of the administration.
In the way of attractions, I agree with it. I think though there can be some improvements - like to the river (already being done though) and getting rid of vacant lots.

This is why I'm also kind of angry with LMNA not considering near MSI. Mellody Hobson is from Chicago and understands what's going on. They could easily provide the south side with a catalyst of development between LMNA, and Obama Library. Add the Blues Museum down there and you'd see enough to kick into overdrive what's already happening in Hyde Park and Bronzeville.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:28 PM
TL;DR

^ Yeah but the gondola's also a unique experience. Hopefully it gives tourists the same thrill I get to experience when driving on LSD.

Also - the opera thing is not a gimmick, it's genius. And very low-cost. Maybe $100,000-200,000 for a high-end projector and a sound system.

Of course, it requires cooperation from Sam Zell because all the spectators have to sit in Riverside Plaza. Probably that's why this hasn't moved forward, because Zell still wants to mutilate a beautiful Art Deco plaza with a sliver tower above.

I'd love to see more projection in public places, actually. Would be great to see Hawks away games projected on the side of the UC (in the playoffs at least) and people could tailgate and party to make better use of all those parking lots.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Yeah but the gondola's also a unique experience. Hopefully it gives tourists the same thrill I get to experience when driving on LSD.

Also - the opera thing is not a gimmick, it's genius. And very low-cost. Maybe $100,000-200,000 for a high-end projector and a sound system. Of course, it requires cooperation from Sam Zell because all the spectators have to sit in Riverside Plaza. Probably that's why this hasn't moved forward, because Zell still wants to mutilate a beautiful Art Deco plaza with a sliver tower above.
i mean i dont hate this idea, and its admittedly a low cost enhancement with little downside. i dont see it enhancing tourism necessarily though. and yea, without a place to actually sit and enjoy it, i dont see how it could work. the notion that everyone is just going to rent kayaks and then dodge river traffic while leisurely soaking in Aida is a little overly optimistic. sound quality will inevitably be poor, and i assume the projection will only be visible at night (will it even be safe having kayak traffic at that hour? i get the notion rentals are daylight only)

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:37 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:

[url]https://www.ddnainfo.com/generated/chicago_photo/2016/05/chicago-river-skyline-1462305303.jpg/extralarge.jpg[/IMG]

I think this is kind of interesting, albeit touristy. The design of the supports could definitely be a bit more elegant, but as an overall concept I don't hate it.
I LOVE the opera building concept. Totally awesome.

The gondola? The river should be kept free of clutter. In ANY way that the river corridor gets mucked up by hanging gondola infrastructure I am probably against. Though it would no doubt be popular and cool as hell to ride in one.

Now if they want to put one over by Navy Pier towards Millennium Park or the Museum Campus/Northerly Island/McCormick then I think I would be all on board for that.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:38 PM

It will enhance the tourist experience but people won't flock to Chicago for it, though I guess it could work in that favor. More and more pictures of the beautiful river and lake views get out there to people who don't have a clue about it and it is one step in the motion of them visiting the city. I think these play better towards international tourism though.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:54 PM

Quote:
apparently people wont be content until downtown is literally an amusement park. ignoring the fact this is butt ugly and looks like a bunch of electrical lines.

perhaps Geller can finance this himself seeing as how "ashamed" he is of Chicago. better yet, maybe he can buy himself a one way ticket back to london.
So have something that carries you about the height of a double decker bus above street level travel along Wacker Drive to look at the river. If there were only something like that.... Oh yeah. You could take the double decker bus tour down Wacker Drive! Is that Chicago only looks for the most expensive means to do something?

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:03 PM

but it wont cost us a dime! it will pay for itself! /s

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:13 PM

I dream of a future Chicago where global visitors can fly first class to O'Hare, hop on the high-speed express rail line, arrive downtown to ride all the rides (I hear they're adding a slide down the face of the Crain Communications Building), buy a $600 dinner, and then GTFO.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:21 PM

New renderings of the hotel at 1555 N Ashland Ave.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...16-643-pdf.pdf

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I dream of a future Chicago where global visitors can fly first class to O'Hare, hop on the high-speed express rail line, arrive downtown to ride all the rides (I hear they're adding a slide down the face of the Crain Communications Building), buy a $600 dinner, and then GTFO.
Don't forget the Gangster tour!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:04 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

The gondolas are reminiscent of the Skyride at Chicago's Century of Progress World's Fair 1934-35

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:27 PM

Soil testing rig working the lot on east side of Wells between Huron and Erie today. Totally forgot what is supposed to go here amongst the plethora of Wells construction.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Soil testing rig working the lot on east side of Wells between Huron and Erie today. Totally forgot what is supposed to go here amongst the plethora of Wells construction.
Believe it or not, but there's been no official proposal for that site yet. I know Spyguy mentioned a while back that the lot has been on sale for quite some time now. It is someone has finally come up with plans for that lot. I don't think just anyone would write a check to perform soil testing if they don't have a proposal they plan to announce soon.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:59 PM

Quote:

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...-chicago-river

Schlocky, cheap, touristy, tacky.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderRek View Post
New renderings of the hotel at 1555 N Ashland Ave.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...16-643-pdf.pdf
Awesome! One less gas station!

Seeing this kind of development makes me more and more excited to live here

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Believe it or not, but there's been no official proposal for that site yet. I know Spyguy mentioned a while back that the lot has been on sale for quite some time now. It is someone has finally come up with plans for that lot. I don't think just anyone would write a check to perform soil testing if they don't have a proposal they plan to announce soon.
I am assuming this is taking place in the parking lot there? This is fantastic news, if there is actually a development going in there! I live a couple blocks from there, and a year from now, that whole intersection is going to be unrecognizable!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development