HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 8:23 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
I have experience with that.
nothing like the north though god i gota get back up to the cabin (7 miles west of lynn lake)

anyhow theres a ssp chat if we wana contiune talking... http://www.chatmaker.net/chatap/rooms/SSP%20CHAT/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 8:25 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
nothing like the north though god i gota get back up to the cabin (7 miles west of lynn lake)
Maybe you can take a plane there from the new terminal one day..

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 8:25 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hahah naa i can just drive its only 12hr drive

but 3 years is way to long to not be up there

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 1:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post

Its looking better every week. I'm loving this whole airport campus development!!

Has anyone heard when the new airport hotel will start construction?
Grand Winnipeg hotel slated to start construction summer 2009.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 4:25 PM

for all you airport buffs out there, there's a new airline starting up by some industry heavyweights, NewAir. Rumour inside WAA has it that JAR is the top contender to become its hub.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 5:49 PM

it's 5 ex-exec from westjet - charter only is what i heard. i never heard anything about being based out of here.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 6:01 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.online View Post
for all you airport buffs out there, there's a new airline starting up by some industry heavyweights, NewAir. Rumour inside WAA has it that JAR is the top contender to become its hub.
That would be nice. The people behind the carrier are definitely pros.

I still remember when Greyhound Air operated out of Winnipeg, roughly at around the same time that WestJet was launched in the mid 90's.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 6:37 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
That would be nice. The people behind the carrier are definitely pros.

I still remember when Greyhound Air operated out of Winnipeg, roughly at around the same time that WestJet was launched in the mid 90's.
From what I remember, Greyhound air lasted a week at best. I really wonder with the present economy and problems in the airline industry (e.g. fuel costs) that a new airline (charter or not) is viable. Zoom just died and they were fairly well known, but they didn't have deep enough pockets (like aircanada and westjet) to weather the financial storm of the business.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 3:38 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post

anyhow theres a ssp chat if we wana contiune talking... http://www.chatmaker.net/chatap/rooms/SSP%20CHAT/
Hey speaking of Lynn Lake, I was just up at South Indian Lake (OPCN FN), which is about a 3 hour drive northeast of Thompson.

Gorgeous country up there, especially with the leaves changing. It was chilly, and there was even a little snow in the air...

And speaking of airports, if any city in Manitoba needs an airport upgrade, it's Thompson. That airport terminal is very dated, and is in need of a nice modern glassy structure...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 2:37 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Grand Winnipeg hotel slated to start construction summer 2009.
Oh Yeah...

I'm down..mark me down

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 3:43 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Hey speaking of Lynn Lake, I was just up at South Indian Lake (OPCN FN), which is about a 3 hour drive northeast of Thompson.

Gorgeous country up there, especially with the leaves changing. It was chilly, and there was even a little snow in the air...

And speaking of airports, if any city in Manitoba needs an airport upgrade, it's Thompson. That airport terminal is very dated, and is in need of a nice modern glassy structure...
yea it is you should go up around summer salstic next year and drive to lynn lake and try and be on that highway around sun set its quite amazing site...... the colors the shadows the yea... its worth it and while yer at you could go on a fishing expidition at one of the top resorts lynn lake is the hub for the sport fishing in manitoba!

anyhow yea i would imagin thompsons needs a major upgrade...
little bush pilot history here http://www.lynnlake.ca/A_Place_to_Remember_29.htm

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
it's 5 ex-exec from westjet - charter only is what i heard. i never heard anything about being based out of here.
Hopefully not the ex-execs that got busted for industrial espionage!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 6:38 PM

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 10:55 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Thanks for the pict!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 2:22 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

I believe the airport in Thompson is suppose to be getting some kind of face lift.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
I believe the airport in Thompson is suppose to be getting some kind of face lift.
Indeed, I was just up there for work on Monday and Tuesday, it seems to be just a bunch of sheds slapped together.

On a side note Calm Air is a wonderful airline very comfortable and all the free snacks you want!!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 7:47 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
Indeed, I was just up there for work on Monday and Tuesday, it seems to be just a bunch of sheds slapped together.

On a side note Calm Air is a wonderful airline very comfortable and all the free snacks you want!!
Calm Air is a great airline. Nice planes, good service, and food at no extra costs...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.online View Post
Newair is the working title for the company. As mentioned, it has been started up by former Westjett execs, and their business plan is to bring better service to secondary markets, esp those who don't get a lot of the 'sun and fun' destinations. I've heard of Edmonton as a hub as much as I've heard Winnipeg, heck there's even been mention of Saskatoon as a 'base' for the airline. Strictly speaking, their offices are in Calgary so in theory they could be a hub as well...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 12:40 PM

Worker shortage delays airline-terminal construction
By: Geoff Kirbyson

Updated: September 29 at 07:04 AM CDT

WINNIPEG travellers might have to wait until mid to late 2010 to check their bags and board their flights at the new terminal building at James Richardson International Airport.

Worker shortages and the challenges of orchestrating the nearly $600-million project are causing construction delays on the new terminal -- delays that could force an official opening date later than originally planned.

Barry Rempel, president and CEO of the Winnipeg Airports Authority, said despite the delays, the plans still call for a 2010 christening but he's not going to select an official date until the process is further along. He said he had hoped the new terminal would be open by that summer to coincide with Manitoba Homecoming 2010, a celebration of the province's 140th anniversary -- a series of events that's expected to attract 50,000 visitors.

"But I can't guarantee it so I'm not going to pick a day," Rempel said, adding a much higher priority is making sure the project's financing is kept on track.

Just a year ago, the WAA was calling for the state-of-the-art building to be completed in time for a late 2009 opening.

Rempel said considering the glitches experienced in London when Heathrow's Terminal 5 opened in March -- dozens of cancelled flights, baggage delays and a temporary suspension in check-in -- it's best not to rush things just for the sake of an earlier opening date.

"We want to have the building operating, test it, retest it and put bags and people through it as a test before we go live," he said.

Joe Bova, co-owner of Gibraltor Concrete, which is handling the concrete and masonry work at the new terminal building, said there have been some "minimal" delays at the work site but that's to be expected.

"This is a humungous project. When you're building a nearly $600-million project and you don't expect any difficulties you've got to be absolutely mindless," he said.

Bova said he's not making excuses but workers braved -40 C temperatures while toiling in the mud last winter .

"It's not an easy task for anybody. They've given everything they've got and then some," he said.

Bova said other high-profile construction projects, including Manitoba Hydro's downtown office building and the City of Winnipeg's new water treatment plant, are also behind schedule.

Ron Hambley, executive vice-president of the Winnipeg Construction Association, said he expects the new terminal building to be completed six months later than the initial estimates. He said with the amount of construction work currently on the go in the city and more expected to begin over the next year, it's not surprising to see the schedule "creep" a bit.

"You can't just pick up the phone and find another 50 people. You might find some labour but they wouldn't be seasoned construction people. You wouldn't get the productivity out of them so you'd be spending more money and not making significant improvements in your schedule. You work with who you have and you slug it out," he said.

Rempel said construction crews lost time after the terminal building's piles were put in and heavy rains caused some shifting around, requiring the piles to be pulled and the entire process to be repeated.

Rempel said all of the steel is up for the passenger concourse and 70 per cent of the steel has been erected for the check-in areas.

geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 1:55 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

As I mentioned in the Winnipeg construction thread I was just through for a meeting this week. Seeing the new terminal taking shape was a great site! I can't wait to be able to take it in once it is finished!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan