HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 4:23 PM
I concede

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamTiger10 View Post
Randy,
I'm an Auburn Tiger. War Eagle!
Welcome to the forum BhamTiger10... and WAR EAGLE. If you were an LSWho Tiger, Randy would have banned you... Just kidding (but not really)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 4:29 PM

Here are some updated figures (as of March) on a few condo developments downtown:

ATHENS FLATS: 17 of 33 units SOLD

CITY FEDERAL: 49 of 84 units SOLD

LIV ON FIFTH: 18 of 36 units SOLD

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:41 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamTiger10 View Post
Randy,
I'm an Auburn Tiger. War Eagle!
Great! WAR EAGLE!!!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 5:06 PM

Matthew Myers used $500,000 and a lot of heavy lifting to revive the Acme building and give it new life as a retail store
Saturday, April 07, 2007
DAWN KENT News staff writer

Aformer warehouse for unloading rail cars is being transformed into a mixed-use development that will feature a different kind of transportation: new and vintage motor scooters.

Developer Matthew Myers of Forest Park is renovating the Acme building at 1305 Second Ave. North, where he plans to open his scooter restoration business and sell new ones.

The 11,000-square-foot building also has space for four more commercial tenants and two loft residences. Hatcher's Florist and Thomas Paul Bates Architecture already have signed on.

Acme Fast Freight used to occupy the 1940s-era building, where Myers unearthed old delivery slips that noted past shipments, such as crates of stoves from Michigan and bales of cocoa matting from New York.

During the renovations, he maintained the building's structural integrity. The original brick, wood and steel remain, and he added new electrical and plumbing systems, along with drywall partitions to break up the warehouse space.

The result - soaring ceilings and floor-to-ceiling windows - retains the building's charm, he said.

"It offers a wonderful built-out space that still keeps the spirit of the warehouse building," he said.

Myers spent about $500,000 renovating the building, doing much of the construction work himself to keep costs down. His partner in the project is his dad, Jay Myers of Cedar Key, Fla. Dean Robinson was the architect.

Myers has been restoring scooters for seven years, working out of his garage. The Acme building will provide the first storefront for his business, Magic City Motor Scooters, and he plans to sell new Genuine and TGB scooters.

The two vacant commercial spaces each cover about 1,200 square feet and rent for $1,200 a month. One of the lofts is under contract and the other one, which covers about 1,700 square feet, sells for $200,000.

The building should be ready for tenants to take over in May, and Myers expects to open his scooter business in June.

The Acme building joins a list of other planned or ongoing developments in the vicinity, including the renovation of the Sears building for the Innovation Depot business incubator and the Railroad Reservation Park.

"This is the next life of this cool old building," Myers said.

E-mail: dkent@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 3:05 AM

Here's an image of the proposed Duncan Bridge Resort... it's obviously on basically the northern fringe of the metro area, but I thought the design was pretty interesting and unique. Definitely will stand out on Smith Lake.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:04 AM

First time to see those renderings. Where did you find it?

It is going to be hard getting used to seeing all these condos going up on Smith Lake. I am use to nothing but houses up and down the lake.

EDIT:
http://www.duncanbridgecondos.com/ I found the website. Wow.. 14 stories.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 11:42 PM

Here's a different rendering of the Federal Reserve Tower... it's sort of photoshopped and a night photo, so it's hard to see, but it's the second tall structure from the right for those unfamiliar.

Not sure if this is a rendering of the 14-story original proposal... or if it's the updated 18-story rendering.

Last edited by Blazer85; Apr 10, 2007 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 4:41 AM

A few more renderings of the Federal Reserve Tower, but again, this looks to be the 14-story version rather than the 18-story version...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 1:40 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sanders View Post
First time to see those renderings. Where did you find it?

It is going to be hard getting used to seeing all these condos going up on Smith Lake. I am use to nothing but houses up and down the lake.

EDIT:
http://www.duncanbridgecondos.com/ I found the website. Wow.. 14 stories.
hmmm.... Duncan Bridge is close to our lake house... Development is neat... but I liked the days when ours was one of the few places up there... (my grandfather bought the land when the lake was filled).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 1:08 PM

Now this is more of the type thing Birmingham needs. Former residents that have done well for themselves that want to give back and help rebuild communities...

Quote:
Ensley native has plan to invest in hometown
Remodeling has begun on downtown buildings
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
ROY L. WILLIAMS News staff writer

Ensley native Antonio Spurling says he's been concerned for several years about Ensley's downtown area and his former neighborhood experiencing economic decay after businesses began moving to the suburbs in the early 1990s.

Spurling, who has built a successful law practice on Birmingham's Southside, is putting his concern into action by investing his money to revitalize a downtown Ensley block.

"I grew up in Ensley and attended schools there," Spurling said. "Now that I am able to, I want to go back home and rebuild the city one block at a time."

Spurling's quest started last fall when he and his wife, Marquitta, bought a vacant building at 417 19th St. Ensley and transformed it into Recycled Wardrobe, a consignment shop that carries upscale clothing and suits.

Within the past few months, Spurling has bought five other buildings within a block. He is relocating his law firm across the street from Recycled Wardrobe and has begun renovations on several buildings where he plans to open businesses.

Among his plans:

Playover Games & Movies at 1824 Avenue E Ensley. Opening in May, it will allow consumers to buy, sell and trade video games, music, movies, Playstations, Xboxes and Nintendos.

Recycled Furnishings, 1818 Avenue E Ensley. With a concept similar to Recycled Wardrobe, the shop will sell office and home furniture, accessories and antiques. Spurling said his goal is to allow Birmingham-area residents looking to earn extra cash to sell used quality furnishings in his store and get a percentage of sales.

Corporate Office Flats & Suites, 1814 Avenue E Ensley. The empty building is being turned into corporate office flats and suites that Spurling plans to rent to small businesses needing space. It will operate similar to an incubator, with tenants sharing secretarial and related business services.

Spurling is planning on renting space upstairs in the building for parties, weddings and events. Next door at 1816 Avenue E Ensley, Spurling is planning a venue to offer live jazz, spoken-word artists and comedians in a non-alcoholic environment. The goal is to open by late May.

Sanctuary Accommodations, in the 1800 block of Avenue E Ensley. The business will offer space for churches needing a place to hold services and events during the week or Sundays.

The Ole Ensley Grill Daily Diversity Food Court on 19th Street Ensley. Plans are to have established restaurants cater to diners by preparing meals and delivering them to Ensley daily.

"I want to give back," said Spurling, whose Recycled Wardrobe is among seven businesses that have opened in downtown Ensley over the past year. The developments represent at least $5.3 million in new investment, according to Main Street Birmingham, which helps to revitalize the Ensley area for the city of Birmingham.

Spurling said he is glad that Ensley is experiencing an economic comeback. Evidence includes the Serra Honda dealership relocating from Hueytown to Ensley by this fall. The $55 million Hope VI project on the old Tuxedo Court housing community site also will boost the area, he said.

E-mail: rwilliams@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 1:13 PM

Developer gets OK from neighbors for more condos
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
VICTORIA L. COMAN News staff writer

The Glen Iris Neighborhood Association is backing a developer's plans to build a second set of condominiums along 10th Avenue South.

Adam Cohen of Cityscape Development Group plans to build condominiums on vacant land at 10th Avenue South and 11th Street South, across the street from Glen Iris and EPIC Alternative elementary schools.

Cohen said the condo building would be "L" shaped, just like one he and partners are developing across an alley from the site at 10th Avenue and 10th Street South. The first building, called University Flats, has been under construction since December and is expected to be complete by October.

The proposed building would be four stories tall and contain 44 units with 63 parking spots in the rear, Cohen said.

The condominiums are expected to range in price from $187,000 to $280,000, he said.

Cohen is scheduled to appear before the Birmingham Zoning Board of Adjustment to seek variances for setback, height, density and parking on Thursday, according to city records.

E-mail: vcoman@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 1:38 AM
Red October standing by

^ any pics of the one under construction please? i remember the sign...

great news on ensley.

federal reserve looks kinda "pop architecture," but bham's buildings are pretty conservative and it does look good, so rock on there, too.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 3:19 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer85 View Post
A few more renderings of the Federal Reserve Tower, but again, this looks to be the 14-story version rather than the 18-story version...

I don't like the first rendering at all. Similar buildings from the 1960's with a zigzag window pattern are always ugly to me. Then I realized that these renderings are NOT different views of the same design. If you compare the location of the old Federal Reserve Bank building in each rendering, then you will notice that the 18th street facades (left side of building in first rendering, and right side of building in second rendering) are totally different. I definitely prefer the second design.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 9:59 AM

Haven't seen a post about it, but I received this notification from Apple a few days ago...

Grand Opening: Apple Store, The Summit
10:00 a.m., Saturday, April 14

It's the old Eddie Bauer location (I think), but it's between Parisian and Restoration Hardware (aka immediately 'west' of Parisian).

Yay!

"All these other cities are getting buildings taller than 15 stories, and all I'm getting is a spiral beltway!" - Birmingham

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre0link View Post
Haven't seen a post about it, but I received this notification from Apple a few days ago...

Grand Opening: Apple Store, The Summit
10:00 a.m., Saturday, April 14

It's the old Eddie Bauer location (I think), but it's between Parisian and Restoration Hardware (aka immediately 'west' of Parisian).

Yay!
That's great news about the Apple Store. It took forever to come about, but glad it finally did.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, does anyone have any news on the Pizitz Building? I know some time back, developers were looking to convert it into about 100 condos... but the plans fell through for whatever reason. Is anyone else looking at the building to your knowledge? Maybe it should be used for something besides condos? Maybe convert it into a hotel of some sort? That area could really be ripe for growth already with the McWane Center and Alabama Theatre nearby as well as with the restoration of the Lyric Theatre planned... and then of course, the future "Leer Tower" just a short distance away.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 3:37 PM

Tynes Development is looking to build 400 homes and town homes in Pinson/Chalkville/Argo. Seems to have been sparked by the Isuzu announcement of their plant nearby. I don't have a subscription, but others of you might.

http://birmingham.bizjournals.com/bi...16/story2.html

Also... here's another story about us in contention for the $300M vaccine plant. Again, don't have the subscription...

http://birmingham.bizjournals.com/bi...16/story1.html

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 7:09 PM

Infinity's $6.5M call center to open in August
Birmingham Business Journal - April 13, 2007

Infinity Property and Casualty Corp.'s $6.5 million renovated call center and parking deck will be complete in August, said general contractor Golden & Associates Construction LLC.

Late last year, the Birmingham-based auto insurer announced it would consolidate its call centers into one location near Liberty Park, bringing more than 500 new jobs to the area. The company's local call center is currently housed in its headquarters at the Colonnade.

Once the consolidation is complete, the company should have approximately 1,100 employees in Birmingham.

Golden is renovating 130,000 square feet of office space for Infinity's call center, located in River Run Village off Overton Road.

The company also is constructing a 73,000-square-foot parking deck adjacent to the building, designed by Birmingham's Williams Blackstock Architects. Infinity is receiving $900,000 from the city of Birmingham to build the parking structure.

In 2005, Golden worked with Infinity to renovate its headquarters at the Colonnade and build its storage warehouse in Bessemer.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 3:15 PM

Tutwiler to show off its $9 million image makeover
Public invited to hotel's April 26 open house
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
ROY L. WILLIAMS News staff writer

The Tutwiler Hotel officially became a member of the Hampton Inn & Suites brand Monday, part owner Bill Murray said.

Guests at the historic downtown Birmingham hotel, which dates back to 1914, can now book rooms through the Hampton Inns network. The Tutwiler, at 2021 Park Place, had been a part of the Wyndham Hotel brand for five years.

"This is a great move for the Tutwiler," said Murray, whose Integral Hospitality Services of Trussville manages Hampton Inn hotels across the country.

In accordance with the Hampton Inn & Suites, the Tutwiler has added a new business center equipped with an airline boarding pass printer and on-site fitness center. Guests will be served breakfast in a new area added to the ninth floor, Murray said.

A year ago, Murray and a Dallas partner bought the Tutwiler Hotel for $9.2 million and invested $9 million in upgrades. All 149 rooms, including 51 suites, were stripped to their frames and furnished with new furniture, bathroom accessories and 32-inch televisions.

The newly renovated lobby includes a library offering books as well as movies for hotel guests. With help from University of Alabama at Birmingham historians, the hotel has added a hallway gallery of historic Birmingham pictures, accompanied by an audio tour.

"It will be open to guests of the hotel as well as the public, and they can take a walk down Birmingham's history," Murray said.

Meanwhile, the Tutwiler and its new eatery, Icon Restaurant and Bar, will celebrate completion of their makeovers with an open house on April 26. The event is timed for the kickoff of the Magic City Arts Connection, April 27-29 at nearby Linn Park.

Icon, operated by the former owners of Restaurant G, began serving breakfast, lunch and dinner March 30. Managing partner Alan Dobbs and partner/chef Geoffrey Slate have been handling room service and catering at the hotel since last fall. Dobbs said response so far to their $1 million restaurant renovation has been positive.

"It will be a unique clientele in that we will cater to downtown professionals in business suits as well as hotel guests in khaki shorts and sandals," Dobbs said. "We want everyone to feel comfortable here."

Slate said Icon's menu will be a mix of items that made Restaurant G popular as well as some new ones.

Murray said the addition of an on-site fine-dining restaurant gives the Tutwiler a feature common in luxury hotels across the country. "Icon is a great fit for what we plan to do at the Tutwiler," he said.

E-mail: rwilliams@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 9:37 PM

Nashville biotech company relocating to Birmingham
Birmingham Business Journal - 2:37 PM CDT
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Jimmy DeButts Staff

Nashville biotechnology company BioDtech Inc. is moving its headquarters to Birmingham's Innovation Depot.

BioDtech received a $1 million research and development grant from the Birmingham Technology Fund in December 2006. Two of the company's six employees will relocate immediately, BioDtech co-founder Ira Weiss said.

BioDtech develops products that could lead to the treatment of cystic fibrosis and AIDS by detecting, neutralizing and removing endotoxins. Weiss said BioDtech will expand its therapeutic operations from its new base in Birmingham.

Weiss said the technology fund grant cemented BioDtech's move. He said Birmingham is on the cusp of becoming a biotech hub. Weiss said the Innovation Depot will play a pivotal role as Birmingham attempts to join other biotech hot spots such as Baltimore and Boston.

"Birmingham has bridged the gap between business and science," Weiss said. "You might not be a hub yet but you're a growing hub. You have a showcase for developing innovation and technology."

BioDtech, founded in 2003, expects to have its relocation completed by July. It will continue its production and distribution operations from its existing Nashville facility at the Nashville Business Incubation Center located at Tennessee State University.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 10:10 PM
Trendy.

Wow, it only took one million dollars to get six employees.

woo

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast