HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 12:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Voting for their interests? Those voters got bamboozled and any halfway intelligent person not blinded by emotion and feelings could have seen it coming a mile away. 'MAGA Trump' is a show for the peasants. The real Trump is just a coward who rubber stamps the GOP's zombie 1980's voodoo economics bullshit.
In all fairness, the Rust Belt did initially vote for Bernie Sanders (the person who wasn't bamboozling them).

I think the vote for Trump was a matter of choosing between the lesser of two evils. Politically, Trump was sort of an unknown and people had at least a tiny glimmer of hope that he would actually become a Teddy Roosevelt. On the other hand, rightfully or not, how people view the Clintons is tied with how people view the corporatist policies they rubber stamped back in the 1990s.

The choice was either getting stabbed in the back or shot in the face.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 3:48 PM

What is with all the Detroit bashing. Just two or three years ago Detroit was still in a very bad place. People who have left still look down on the city with the most negative outlook views. For many years I have been posting positive things about Detroit and it always gets overlooked because people from other parts of the country and world keep taking negative jabs at the city. I live here and see the rebuilding taking place. A lot of projects are now in the works and a lot have already been complete or starting. I know from what I see currently, the planners are heading in the right direction. It is a lot of work that still has to be done after 25 years of decline. 20 years and someone that can invest here decided that its time, and Im glad to see it happening. I dont have to depend on out of state stats because those people dont live here. The rebuilding takes a huge effort, and it is happening. Detroit still has the big three auto headquarters, and Detroit Axle Manufacturing, and I know a smart ass is going to say "but only one is in the city limits" that doesn't matter because, All three are still here in the Detroit region, and as long those companies are here Detroit will always be a important around the world. We have one of the nations busiest airports, Im 100% sure without checking stats, that metro airport is in the top ten. As for the transportation, its been awful for the past 25 years, but most people know that this is a region where people own cars, but thats slowly changing. Yes there is poverty, but I see that in every city Ive visited, but for whatever reason Detroit gets the worst rating.
I lived in ATL and it was ok, but other than Peachtree Rd, Its really nothing special. Dallas is a huge spread out place that is highly segregated and Houston is a huge industrial city with a shady past, lots of flooding bad air and a bunch of buildings downtown with no stores or shops in the ground level for foot pedestrians. As for education, its rough, but public education is terrible in all cities. Point is all cities can be bashed for things people living in them are not doing right. Detroit has a long haul, and Im always going to support where I live, I can choose to move somewhere else, but this is a real city and Im glad to live here and see the positive changes taking place that others cant see. Detroit had is sunset and now the sun is rising

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 3:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
We have one of the nations busiest airports, Im 100% sure without checking stats, that metro airport is in the top ten.
you should have checked the stats.

DTW is not in the top 10.

based on 2016 total passenger boardings, it's the 18th busiest airport in the US.

Top 30 busiest airports in the US based on 2016 total passenger boardings:

1. ATL Atlanta - 50,476,272
2. LAX Los Angeles - 39,635,691
3. ORD Chicago - 37,499,201
4. DFW Dallas - 31,274,875
5. JFK New York - 29,224,554
6. DEN Denver - 28,246,269
7. SFO San Francisco - 25,706,994
8. LAS Las Vegas - 22,665,289
9. CLT Charlotte - 21,955,996
10. SEA Seattle - 21,887,110

11. PHX Phoenix - 20,896,229
12. MIA Miami - 20,796,994
13. MCO Orlando - 20,283,479
14. IAH Houston - 20,027,073
15. EWR Newark - 19,834,792
16. MSP Minneapolis - 18,109,982
17. BOS Boston - 17,749,202
18. DTW Detroit - 16,826,287
19. LGA New York - 14,706,123
20. PHL Philadelphia - 14,521,408

21. FLL Fort Lauderdale - 14,263,202
22. BWI Baltimore - 12,340,183
23. DCA D.C. - 11,372,460
24. SLC Salt Lake City - 11,141,970
25. MDW Chicago - 11,044,353
26. IAD D.C. - 10,596,883
27. SAN San Diego - 10,340,164
28. HNL Honolulu - 9,656,340
29. TPA Tampa - 9,194,576
30. PDX Portland - 9,071,154

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 27, 2017 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

based on 2016 passenger boardings, it's the 18th busiest airport in the US.
whatever 2017 tDetroit airport is busy. And its one of the most updated facilities in the country. You dont know anything

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 4:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
You dont know anything
i know that you're wrong, so that's at least one thing

the wonderful thing about facts is that they're true whether or not you believe them.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 27, 2017 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 4:39 PM

Det. does have good bones and is taking good small bites. Just don't know the demand will ever return for it to fill back up, but it can continue to get healthier

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 9:17 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

based on 2016 total passenger boardings, it's the 18th busiest airport in the US.

Top 30 busiest airports in the US based on 2016 total passenger boardings:

1. ATL Atlanta - 50,476,272
2. LAX Los Angeles - 39,635,691
3. ORD Chicago - 37,499,201
4. DFW Dallas - 31,274,875
5. JFK New York - 29,224,554
6. DEN Denver - 28,246,269
7. SFO San Francisco - 25,706,994
8. LAS Las Vegas - 22,665,289
9. CLT Charlotte - 21,955,996
10. SEA Seattle - 21,887,110

11. PHX Phoenix - 20,896,229
12. MIA Miami - 20,796,994
13. MCO Orlando - 20,283,479
14. IAH Houston - 20,027,073
15. EWR Newark - 19,834,792
16. MSP Minneapolis - 18,109,982
17. BOS Boston - 17,749,202
18. DTW Detroit - 16,826,287
19. LGA New York - 14,706,123
20. PHL Philadelphia - 14,521,408

21. FLL Fort Lauderdale - 14,263,202
22. BWI Baltimore - 12,340,183
23. DCA D.C. - 11,372,460
24. SLC Salt Lake City - 11,141,970
25. MDW Chicago - 11,044,353
26. IAD D.C. - 10,596,883
27. SAN San Diego - 10,340,164
28. HNL Honolulu - 9,656,340
29. TPA Tampa - 9,194,576
30. PDX Portland - 9,071,154

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
I'm not even sure DTW is still Delta's 2nd largest hub anymore.

MSP, if it hasn't already, is just about ready to pass it up.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 9:37 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
whatever 2017 tDetroit airport is busy. And its one of the most updated facilities in the country. You dont know anything
I used to fly through DTW all the time (old and new airports) when it was still a NWA hub (God I hated that airline) but never flew through Detroit after it merged with Delta. Is it still that busy?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 12:27 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I used to fly through DTW all the time (old and new airports) when it was still a NWA hub (God I hated that airline) but never flew through Detroit after it merged with Delta. Is it still that busy?
It just recovered back to passenger levels it had back in 2000 (35 million).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:39 AM

Quote:
I think Delta routes nearly as much traffic through Detroit as did NWA, maybe even more. But airline consolidation has left pretty much no other airlines besides Delta flying to Detroit, except Southwest and Spirit. The other two big airlines might also run a handful of flights on from the major hubs too, but

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 1:41 PM

Well if the airport is keeping up with all the other activities going on around the metro Detroit region then the airport has moved up a few notches closer to the 10 spot for 2017/2018. Its logic and I cant use stats from the 2015/2016. And some of the other airports are busier of course because they are used for connectors. Detroit is not a connector hub, people actually get off the plane and go out into the region, or board the plane from the region, so 18 is still extremely good.

Last edited by Kenneth; Nov 28, 2017 at 1:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:02 PM
Closed account

One thing Detroit does have going for it is a very nice-looking and underutilized airport.

I heard someone describe it as the Ritz-Carlton of Airports as far as the customer service and how modern it looks, which I think is accurate. Although the last large scale renovation was in 2002, DTW still looks like it's brand new. Also, it can easily absorb double the capacity it's handling and still run efficiently without having to add more gates or runways, unlike some other airports across the country (I.E. Seattle, Denver, Atlanta, etc.). For this same reason, I believe DTW is also amongst the best-performing airport in the country when it comes to catching connecting fights and flights arriving / departing on time.

The only thing its lacking is a transit connection. I guess it will be another 25 years (if ever) before that happens though.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 3:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Doesn't the future of most places depend on its youth?

Thread title is captain-obvious-y.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
One thing Detroit does have going for it is a very nice-looking and underutilized airport.

I heard someone describe it as the Ritz-Carlton of Airports as far as the customer service and how modern it looks, which I think is accurate. Although the last large scale renovation was in 2002, DTW still looks like it's brand new. Also, it can easily absorb double the capacity it's handling and still run efficiently without having to add more gates or runways, unlike some other airports across the country (I.E. Seattle, Denver, Atlanta, etc.). For this same reason, I believe DTW is also amongst the best-performing airport in the country when it comes to catching connecting fights and flights arriving / departing on time.

The only thing its lacking is a transit connection. I guess it will be another 25 years (if ever) before that happens though.
it has transit, its called express bus service

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:02 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post

I used to ride that people mover, monorail thingie back and forth out of sheer boredom on really long layovers.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
I used to ride that people mover, monorail thingie back and forth out of sheer boredom on really long layovers.
Well that sounds just as slow as the people mover thingie. I wouldnt ride a box that goes in a circle over and over again like Im in the twilight zone

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
it has transit, its called express bus service

So getting beyond the fact that an "express bus" isn't "transit" compared to say, the MARTA or CTA rapid heavy rail that takes you directly to the airport from different employment and tourist centers in their region (how "express" will this bus be when it gets stuck in rush hour traffic?)...

What "express bus service" is this? Even DTW's website doesn't list this "express bus service."

The only "transit" I know of is two lone (and infrequently-run) SMART bus routes that require transfers in obscure (to out-of-towners) suburbs if you're coming from downtown, never mind if you're coming from other parts of the Metro area.

I understand you're passionate about your Detroit boosterism, but come on now!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Well if the airport is keeping up with all the other activities going on around the metro Detroit region then the airport has moved up a few notches closer to the 10 spot for 2017/2018. Its logic and I cant use stats from the 2015/2016. And some of the other airports are busier of course because they are used for connectors. Detroit is not a connector hub, people actually get off the plane and go out into the region, or board the plane from the region, so 18 is still extremely good.
I believe Detroit is at least as much of a pass-through airport than a destination. Probably more pass-through than airports in other cities of its size (more on that below). I know a LOT of people who like DTW a lot but have never gone outside the airport. (My job requires me to fly a lot.)

Having said that, DTW is comfortably a "major" airport. It could easily catapult into the top 10 on the whim of the airline industry, without much change in fundamentals. Looking at the list of "major" U.S. airports, I would bucket them into 4 categories:
  • Monster - Basically the top 5 in terms of passenger traffic. Hartsfield, O'Hare, DFW, LAX, JFK. These are either airports that are the primary hub of one of the big 3 domestic carriers (ATL, DFW), or are the primary airport in a mega-region (JFK, ORD, LAX).
  • Big Hub in Little City - These are cities that punch well above their weight in terms of passenger traffic, mainly due to passengers transiting in a large hub of a large airline: Charlotte, SLC, Denver.
  • Major Tourist Hub - Orlando, Las Vegas, Honolulu.
  • Major City, Major Airport - Pretty much every other airport in a city of +3.5M.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
The TRAM is very nice as far as getting from one part of the terminal to another. ATL has something similar that runs between its concourses.

But that's not a transit connection.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You think the Detroit airport has jumped up by about 5 million passengers to be a top 10 airport because it's a destination airport and not a connector airport?

That would be very difficult to do, especially for a stagnant region that is Detroit MSA:
2000 - 4.441 million
2010 - 4.296 million
2016 - 4.297 million

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions