HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 4:06 AM
Shoebox Dweller

I actually saw a "McCafe" at a McDonalds in Langley. The one on the Langley Bypass at like... Fraser Highway, I think.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 9:03 AM

I remember there being a few Second Cups in and around Vancouver before there were ever Starbucks - I'm talking about the early 80's here. I remember there being a Second Cup in Lansdowne Mall. I also remember there being a Second Cup at UBC up until 2004 or 2005 before they turned it into a Blenz.

But for the longest time, Vancouver and the Lower Mainland lacked Tim Horton's entirely. I honestly think the closest Tim Horton's was located out in Kelowna, so it was never a part of the Vancouver coffee culture or anybody's upbringing. It never brings nostalgic feelings for those of us that grew up here.

For whatever reason, things began to change in the late 90's when they first started to build Tim Horton's in Vancouver, but even then, they'd only build them inside Esso gas stations. There seemed to be half a Tim Horton's for every 50 Starbucks.

In the year 2000 I was carpooling with a guy from London, Ontario, and he would drive out of his way to pick up his "Timmy's" before getting to work - and we'd always be late for work because "he had to have his Timmy's" - aaaarrrrgh! that was my first introduction to Tim Horton's.

But by the time Tim Horton's started opening up more shops, Starbucks already had 15 years of virtual exponential growth and had already dominated the Vancouver coffee scene.

So... that's probably why the only people I know who actually buy the "it's Canadian therefore I drink it" crap were the people who grew up drinking it out in Ontario. In fact, it's often people *not* from Vancouver who are gung ho on Tim Horton's in Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 8:42 PM

Second Cup is actually quite good. I would like to see them return to Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 12:35 AM

I actually saw a McCafe in Montreal over 3 years ago downtown somewhere.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 2:13 AM
David

The Maple Ridge McDonalds had the first McCafe in Canada as a test run for the concept... i'm not sure if it is still there

I remember going to the Tim Horton's at North Road and Cameron by Lougheed Mall once in awhile when I was a kid. It was the only one for years and years.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 3:11 AM

I don't know if it is McCafe but the Japanese McDonalds' started selling pastries and coffee recently. I don't know what I was thinking, going in to buy some of their pastries. I loooove me some melon pan (unfortunately I have to buy one whenever I see it), and this was... just atrocious! Like yes, it was Japanese quality... but... it was an insult to melon pan everywhere (well, really just in Japan). I hear their coffee is quite good, though. But Japanese people seem to only buy Iced coffee (coffee and ice, nothing fancy like the delicious iced capps at Timmy Ho's ). Anyways, moral of the story... McCafe is not very good, nor MUCH cheaper than a normal bakery that sells proper melon pan.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 11:03 PM

in coquitlam centre next to the mcdonalds there was a place called McBeans - i always wondered if it was part of the mcdonalds thing...

second cup still has places in vancouver (3 of them) but its a franchise operation so its a bit risky for someone to invest in with so much to compete with

as I mentioned in the retail thread - there is a blenz opening up next to the new London Drugs on broadway @ cambie

I wish Krispy Kreme was more available

at a lot of grocery stores in the states they sell boxes of krispy Kremes - they should make a deal with some of the downtown stores to sell them - truck em in from delta

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 12:17 AM

in the states they sell krispy kremes at gas stations in the middle of nowhere as well. not so fresh though.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 12:19 AM

Man, Dunkin' Donuts is where it's at. Don't even bother with Krispy Kreme!

I love how prevalent they are in NYC. And Boston... there is more DD than Starbucks. Thank goodness!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 4:43 AM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
there are very few of them
1 in park royal, 1 on burrard - i think its in the underground maze of bental, 1 on oak street, 1 in south surrey - only 4 of them

there used to be one on Denman @ davie but it closed a while ago
I saw a Second Cup in Richmond Centre back on Christmas eve while doing a little Christmas shopping with relatives.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 7:33 PM
Site 8 Lives

There used to be a nice Second Cup at the Seabus station at Lonsdale Quay. It had a very useful take-out window. Unfortunately, the site is now a Starbucks.

The Oak Street location is actually inside Children's Hospital.

I like Second Cup. There is something exotic about it (in the same way that Harvey's is exotic, at least on the West Coast)

Last edited by Rusty Gull; Dec 28, 2008 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 7:49 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Doughnut - Robins Donut (RIP). Those donuts were king. Tim Horton's is filling that gap.
Coffee - None, I don't drink it.
Hot Chocolate - Second Cup

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 7:52 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
in coquitlam centre next to the mcdonalds there was a place called McBeans - i always wondered if it was part of the mcdonalds thing...
I've tried McBeans in Manulife (Edmonton). Their hot chocolate is kind of like Tim horton's, a little more chocolate flavour but not as rich as Second Cup's. Still a much better hot chocolate than what you get at Starbucks.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 11:37 PM
Dérive-r

I believe there is a Second Cup in the village at UBC.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 12:41 AM

http://www.secondcup.com/eng/locations.php#a1

only shows 3 in vancouver, 1 in richmond, 1 in south surrey, 2 in whistler and than elsewhere in BC like pr george, kamloops etc

maybe they don't list all their stores?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 1:06 AM

yes, more tim hortons, love it!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 11:41 PM
David

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 6:25 AM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
But Japanese people seem to only buy Iced coffee (coffee and ice, nothing fancy like the delicious iced capps at Timmy Ho's ).
What's really strange is the popularity of Mister Donut in Japan, which is a surreal, Asia version of Tim Hortons -- complete with mediocre coffee and above-average donuts.

There's some neat history between Mister Donut and Dunkin Donuts. Apparently they were started by two competitive brothers -- and used to be the #1 and #2 donut shops in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Donut

http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/dunkin.htm

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkster1982 View Post
I actually saw a McCafe in Montreal over 3 years ago downtown somewhere.
It's at the Alexis Nihon mall/Atwater Metro station.. I just returned from Montreal, and because of this thread, I noticed it. It's a McCafe within an actual McDonald's. It looked like a Starbucks-influenced counter set to the side of a McDonald's. Very weird.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 9:51 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
I actually saw a "McCafe" at a McDonalds in Langley. The one on the Langley Bypass at like... Fraser Highway, I think.
Oh..How interesting! I must take a look too!

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining